2010 Ford Focus 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Great little car

2010 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Review

Great little car
By nrudolph on

2010 Ford Focus SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So I've had my (2011) Focus SES 2.0L/4A since August 20th, and I currently have 7,998 miles on it. My commute is almost all highway, between 60-80 miles a day. I've average 28mpg overall (cruise at 75 on highway)which is about what I expect when you have 4 merges each way, and MPG drops with speed anyway. In 8k miles of driving it hasn't been back to the dealership once. Feels solid driving down the road. Interior is quiet, but not silent, as there is a little bit of road noise, but nothing bad. I have the basic stereo, albeit with sync. Stock speakers aren't bad considering the class of car. Engine has adequate power, transmission does not hunt for gears and shifts smoothly.

Favorite Features

Pretty comfortable seats, adequate acceleration from the little Mazda/Ford 2.0L DOHC. Sync is a plus, and the interior, while not on the level of Mercedes Benz/Lexus/BMW, isn't as bad as it is made out to be. It feels solid, with zero rattles/squeaks.

Suggested Improvements

All of my grips are fixed in the redesigned 2012 model, but here they are anyway. Tires. While the OE Kumho Solus KH16 tires are by no means bad- they have good ride, good dry traction, average wet traction and surprisingly good in the snow, they are the worst tramlining tire I've ever seen. They follow imperfections in interstate roads. Also, I prefer a 4 spoke steering wheel (focus is 3) but that is a personal gripe. 6 Speed automatic, but again, fixed. With the 4 speed though, a more aggressive torque converter lockup algorithm would be nice. Not quite as eager to lockup for Fuel economy as my grandfathers Escape V6.