2010 Ford Focus Consumer Review: Almost a Lemon

2010 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Review

Almost a Lemon
By LastFord on

2010 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased a new 2010 Ford focus SEL sedan. Liked the exterior styling. Interior design pretty cool except for impractical cup holder location. Drove the car 13K miles when the "Wrench" light came on and lost power control to accelerator. This happened 3 times with Ford not able to do anything because "Engine" had not come on and no DTC codes where there to read. Set out on vacation only to have it happen again, this time Eng light did come on. Took to dealer. They said they knew all along it was the Throttle Position Sensor but could not do anything until code verified this. Also found out that the parts have been on back order for several weeks. Ford still has not issued a service bulletin?

Ride feels stable at all speed ranges.

Lack of throttle response should be addressed. Cup holders made for those with short arms. Would like to have tilt steering wheel option.
By chararoberson
on 08/07/11 23:32 PM (PDT)

Exact same thing happened to my 2010 SEL sedan @ 18229 miles. On a freeway diving the car jerked forward and immediately slowed. I was not able to go over 50mph. I had to take surface streets home. The throttle needed to be replaced. The dealership was helpful....it was covered under warranty but very scary and inconvenient. One shouldn't have to deal w/such a mechanical failure in car that's just over one year old.

By wingerrr
on 06/14/14 13:32 PM (PDT)

There were no trouble codes stored even though the check engine light came on? Unusual, I'd expect it should have been stored in there until cleared by someone with a scan tool. I got a code for the transmission range sensor, I think because the gear shift selector may have been in some mid position while driving, so it got confused. I cleared it with my scan tool and it hasn't recurred.