Used 2010 Ford Focus SES Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

O-K until transmission went out
By wvnurse

2010 Ford Focus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Focus as a used car with 20k miles. Tires were not so hot so replaced them. I drive 100-150 miles daily & needed good fuel economy. It gets about 30-35 on highway & much less in town. Have not had much difficulty until the transmission went out at 93,000 miles. Oil changes & check ups are done on time by the dealer's service department. The dealer has had it since March 17 tried 3 transmissions which were not good and is still looking for one. I authorized a new one but for some reason the dealer's service department is balking on it. Getting close to 2 months with no replacement to be found. Thinking about just giving it to the dealer & getting a Toyota.

Favorite Features

Sync is great, heated leather in the winter is a plus but replacing tires even with high performance is a bit costly.

Suggested Improvements

The warranty sucks. Come on Ford, stand behind your product.

Worst focus ive owned out of the 4
By yankees102110

2010 Ford Focus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the focus ses in June of 2011 with 18k on it, I traded it in in April 2013 with 45k on it. In the 22 months and 27,000 miles i owned it i went through 3 sets of tires, 2 axles, 2 wheel bearings, abs control module that cost me almost 2000, 2 sets of front rotors, the driver side door handle broke, the locks in the car stopped working, and the sync would not work half the time. This all happened around the time the warranty ran out and just to be clear Ive always been very easy on my cars. This was my fourth focus Ive owned, 2 01s, an 05, and this one. I traded this one in for a 2013 corolla, I test drove the new focus and could not stand the way the transmission felt.

Favorite Features

sync when it worked, 17 inch rims, ambient lighting.

Suggested Improvements

I think i just got a lemon. This post is in no way bashing the focus I still own an 01 wagon that my wife delivers with and she takes a beating and keeps on chugging.

I love this car
By bstraw

2010 Ford Focus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I needed to downsize from the Trailblazer I had and needed something that was a lot better on gas milegae so I looked at the Focus. I've had mine for a few months and really like it. Other than the road noise which I read may be either the factory (kumho) tires or rims and the fact that my ignition coil went out at 40k thousand miles I love this car and would defintely purchase another one.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the overall look of the car. Mine is black with the spoiler. The sync system and the sirius radio.

Suggested Improvements

Better adjustment for the steering wheel and the fact that the steering blovks the driver side vent

Great car
By nrudolph

2010 Ford Focus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Follow up review. 9 months, 26,000 miles later. I replaced the OE Kumho tires with some Continental Extremecontact DWS, and that further improved the already good ride, gave it better grip in the corners, and a quieter ride as well. I've had zero problems since I've owned it, and it's fun to drive, with the A/C off it has plenty of power, and the transmission is responsive and the gears are well spaced for a 4-speed unit. It has tons of grip, and very little body lean in the corners, it just grips and grips. However, with the A/C on, and passengers in the car, the little 2.0 get's a little overwhelmed when getting up to speed. At WOT, the A/C shuts off anyway, so no big deal.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable highway ride, smooth and composed. Quiet (with better tires), gets good gas mileaged. Drove 2,000 miles last month, averaged 36mpg at 75mph and A/C on. Handles great for a "economy" car. Back seat has plenty of legroom as long as you move the seats up just a little bit. Headroom is a bit tight for taller passengers, but not terrible by any means. Trunk is MASSIVE.

Suggested Improvements

Any suggestions I'd have are rendered moot because of the redesign for 2012.

Great little car
By nrudolph

2010 Ford Focus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So I've had my (2011) Focus SES 2.0L/4A since August 20th, and I currently have 7,998 miles on it. My commute is almost all highway, between 60-80 miles a day. I've average 28mpg overall (cruise at 75 on highway)which is about what I expect when you have 4 merges each way, and MPG drops with speed anyway. In 8k miles of driving it hasn't been back to the dealership once. Feels solid driving down the road. Interior is quiet, but not silent, as there is a little bit of road noise, but nothing bad. I have the basic stereo, albeit with sync. Stock speakers aren't bad considering the class of car. Engine has adequate power, transmission does not hunt for gears and shifts smoothly.

Favorite Features

Pretty comfortable seats, adequate acceleration from the little Mazda/Ford 2.0L DOHC. Sync is a plus, and the interior, while not on the level of Mercedes Benz/Lexus/BMW, isn't as bad as it is made out to be. It feels solid, with zero rattles/squeaks.

Suggested Improvements

All of my grips are fixed in the redesigned 2012 model, but here they are anyway. Tires. While the OE Kumho Solus KH16 tires are by no means bad- they have good ride, good dry traction, average wet traction and surprisingly good in the snow, they are the worst tramlining tire I've ever seen. They follow imperfections in interstate roads. Also, I prefer a 4 spoke steering wheel (focus is 3) but that is a personal gripe. 6 Speed automatic, but again, fixed. With the 4 speed though, a more aggressive torque converter lockup algorithm would be nice. Not quite as eager to lockup for Fuel economy as my grandfathers Escape V6.