Manual transmission
By kristin sutkaitis on
2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
My car has 23,000 miles on it. I recently took it to the dealership because I had a hard time putting into reverse and into first, when it is cold outside. they said the problem wasn't happening when they had my car. don't get me wrong I love the car, but i just want to know what wrong with it. it's still under warranty. am I the only one who is having this problem?
By efitz7029
on 12/16/10 09:29 AM (PST)

Yes I to have this problem occasionally.

By awelling
on 01/05/11 01:32 AM (PST)

I experience this problem with my manual when it is cold. The only suggestion I have is to let your car warm up. The problem goes away then.

By jnorr993
on 01/19/12 14:23 PM (PST)

My car had 31,000 miles on it, and I experienced the same problem. I literally could NOT shift into reverse when it was cold, and had a really hard time shifting into first. Once it warmed up it was fine, but I do not accept this as normal, so I took it to the dealer. After 14 days in the shop, and the local maintenance tech arguing with Ford Corporate who was telling them this is not an abnormality... they fixed it. They took the transmission completely apart, and replaced (2) synchros and the slave cylinder/bearing. Granted, I don't know a lot about cars, but they said the synchros were chipped, and I have been told the only way this happens is if you drive the car REAL hard, and I don't at ALL. Plus the low mileage makes this highly unlikely unless it was manufacturer defect. The shop was baffled as to what would have caused this and reassured me that it was unlikely I would experience this again at 60,000, but I can't say that I am 100% comfortable with that answer. Because, at 60,000 miles, I will no longer be under warranty, and a transmission repair like that could get very costly... That being said, it works BEAUTIFULLY now. Even in the -2 degree weather we had today!!