2009 Ford Focus Consumer Review: A great car at a great price

2009 Ford Focus - Consumer Review

SEL Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

A great car at a great price
By jagar on

2009 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2001 Focus with 105K miles, so I tested a 2009 model. The 2009 model is a quantum leap better than my old car. The new Focus has excellent handling and a quiet, nimble ride. Fuel economy is excellent with 39 MPG on the highway and about 28 in town. I average about 33-34 MPG in average driving and that's with the 4 speed automatic. I looked at the Toyota Corolla and the Honda Civic, but those cars cost thousands more in exchange for a marginal increase in quality & reliability. The Focus proved a better value overall. Advance Trac and SYNC are great features that virtually no other car maker offers in an automobile this inexpensive. Kudos to Ford!

Favorite Features

Comfortable interior. SYNC (the biggest improvement in cars since GPS), Advance Trac, Heated Leather Seats, fuel economy, handling, quiet ride, int. & ext. color combinations. The outstanding reliability of my old 2001 Ford Focus was a huge selling point for the new model.

Suggested Improvements

The hood and trunk were misaligned at delivery. The gauges are sometimes hard to discern and lack contrast. The audio system sounds muddled and cheap, the result of an underpowered system. Vinyl covering on sun visors is really cheap. Try cloth next time. Where is the inside trunk release?