Used 2009 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Great purchase, wonderful car
By Dennis

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new during the cash4clunkers program traded my Merc G/M and had some fear going from such a large car to the Focus however I can now say that after driving the car for 7+ months through the worst winter in Philly history I have no concerns at all.`The car handles surperbly and I am able to squeeze 41 MPG on the highway. I have no problems to date not even a minor rattle. Ford has really put Quality #1 with this car.

Sync system, Sirius satellite radio, steering wheel controls for the sound system and Sync.

I will always buy American when I have a choice, but come on Ford, Hankook tires! Don't cheapen a quality Ford product with Chinese junk. So far that's my only complaint.

Sufficient and economical
By Average Midwest Jane

2009 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car replaced a much-loved 2000 Saturn SL that routinely got 40 mpg highway, 32-35 in town. Driver is female, average size, over 50. The Focus turned out surprisingly comfortable and well-designed. MPG average: about 28 (this is a stick) and up to 35 highway. It handles well in snow, about as well as the Saturn, and does better in strong winds. This car has enough power to get up to expressway speed on entrance ramps. I wouldn't want to spend a long ride in the back seat, though.

Handles well in snow; excellent headlights; curtain airbag system; easy to pick up speed quickly in lower gears to get on expressways; P/S often has drift on interstates--very little P/S drift on this car; solid in wind; factory tires hold air well; driver chair has vertical adjustment; huge trunk

inside trunk release; make keyhole (this car no key fob) apertures flush instead of indented to repel water so lock doesn't ice up; use bumpers like 80s & 90s Saturns--heavy solid foam covered with thick plastic, which takes a hit with no paint damage

Perfect in every way except one
By carl

2009 Ford Focus SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2009 ses 11 months ago and we LOVE IT! 16,000 miles and average 43 mpg summer and 35 mpg winter (conservative speeds-60mph hwy).Now, here is my complaint: If you look closely at the area down low by the rear wheel wells in front of the wheels you will probably see that your paint is getting "sand-blasted" off the car. This is due to a poor design in the shape of car in this area.Spray from the front wheels is the culprit even after mud guards are installed. Ford/Canada is aware of this and will repair paint and cover the affected area gratis --IF YOU ASK. It is like a silent recall. I had it done and so far so good but like I stated at the top,one great car in every other way!

Wife and I are chubby but the interior room still feels the same as our previous chev epica. Interior lighting,exterior style,17"snazzy wheels sangria red color. Actually- EVERYTHING.

Just the body design in above mentioned area. Rear seat lighting also. Pretty hard to improve on perfection.

Focus SE Review
By Don't text and drive

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In October of 2010 I will have had my four door 2009 SE Focus for two years. Some options I got were cruise control, 5 speed manual transmission, Black cloth interior. The only problem I've had was that a cheap two dollar spring for the clutch pedal broke, this didn't affect the cars driving ability in any way that I could see and it was a quick fix. Other than that the mechanics of the car are doing great, this car is both a peppy and smooth ride it is very fun to drive. I would very much recommend the Focus to anyone looking for a quality car for a reasonable price!

The body and interior of the car in general. A sporty, more modern look inside. also a very nice big trunk. Ford did a really great job modernizing the focus.

Put rear interior lights in for the people in the back seats. The ability to lock the glove box and center console. Also a more applicable center console (something that has specific spots to hold an Ipod, coins, sun glasses etc.) My 09 SE center console is nice and big, but it's just a big open space.

Just give it a test drive
By jon

2009 Ford Focus SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my SES 2 doors coupe used form a dealer. Only had it for a week so I can't comment on reliability. I owned a Focus 2000 ZX3 before this one. It really feels like a evolution of my previous car, more refine, etc. Handling is top notch, very quick. Engine is smooth and quiet. Car comes fully equipped. It really feels solid. I don't understand why reviews are not as good for this car. It's worth a test drive, believe me.

Quietness, responsive steering wheel, bang for the bucks !

More side support on front seats, a little better sound system

• SUV