2009 Ford Focus S Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2009 Focus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Sort Reviews by

2009 sel (auto=trans ESC )
By Cliff M

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I now have about 12K on this car, Ice Blue w/black leather, the seats are great,after (2) 14 hr days on our trip to El Paso,Tx in Sept ,2008. Mileage was 37.5 overall with 1 tank full getting 42.2, the only problem I've had is with the junk Perrelli Tire that came on this car, they ended up replacing 3 of the 4 before getting a decent ride. Car gets 28.5 in city but I know it dors much better on the open road. I'M 6'3" 235LB NOTE-OUTSIDE TEMP AND COMPASS IS NOW AVAIL AS OF 1- 2009 ALSO AUTO TRANS USES A SPECIAL FLUID, (LV) LOW VISCOSITY AND IS GOOD FOR 150K MILES

Favorite Features

SYNC, SEATS, GET UP & GO, HEAT-AC SYS. RIDE.

My First Car!!!!!!!!!
By Huntship

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Focus!!!!!! This is my first car and I can't say enough good things about it. The fule econ Is great, and the sound system rocks!! I was wondering if I should get a Ford, due to past bad experenses but once I saw the focus I lust had to have it, I got a good deal due to the current rebates.

Favorite Features

The SYNC system, leather heated seats, sunroof!!!!!

First new car
By Bart

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Well I chose a Ford for my first new car, and my first manual transmission, and I have not once looked back. The tranny takes a little to break in but once it is you get seriously good fuel economy. The engine has some power, but it is found around 2000 rpm or so. The seats could be a little more comfortable, I don't know why they aren't real cloth, instead some weird shiny cloth material. It is comfortable, so that works. Other than that Ford makes very reliable cars that get you where you want to go, treat them well and they will treat you well.

Favorite Features

Manual Tranny, Sunroof, Audio system, SYNC, fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Power seat, a little better seat materials. A slightly more ergonomic steering wheel.

I sync and temperature guage
By chrisw

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Car is exactly what I paid for, SEL loaded for what it costs, as an ex 2007 BMW 3 series driver, more than surprised at the drive experience and standard equipment level.

Favorite Features

Well thought out for the economic driver in minds. I chose 5 speed, gearbox shift is fantastic, acceleration is sharp. Seat heaters. Bangs for the buck - excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Gear ratios need sorting. ISync?? the idea is great but... no address book when moving on voice activation - why ? nd what English does it understand, I am English born, I have American friends, but it just does not understand names pronunciation. Temperature guage outside temps - why not?

Great on gas 42 mpg on Avg
By Robert

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car is great on gas I have been getting in city 30 to 35 and 41 to 45 in Hgy. Just a fun car to drive.

Favorite Features

Sirus raido.

Suggested Improvements

Visor is cheap.

Am I the only one with a lemon?
By Got a Lemon!!!

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm having a problem with the cars handling...it vibrates and pulls when i get the car to 100km. So I was a little upset when I had to dish out money (for a rental) from my own pocket 4 months after purchasing a NEW car. Only to have them keep the car all day and tell me that it was the air in my tires??? Well they fixed the air pressure and it still vibrates. Now I have to have it checked by another mechanic or possible even have it inspected. (All out of my own pocket) All because they refuse to admit there is a problem with the car!!!

Favorite Features

The overall look...but looks are deceiving!!!!

Suggested Improvements

The overhead interior light...can't see anything in the back seat. And either add an indictor light for the windshield washer fluid or move the resevoir some where you can see it. Not much fun behind a truck on the highway...trust me from experiences!!!!

Economical car, but not a "cheap" car
By CellBlock

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Focus was the first car I'd ever purchased, and while I wanted an affordable car, I didn't want to settle for the typical stripped down, no-frills, econobox. It has a lot of power and speed for a compact; press the accelerator and it gets moving. It also has some "luxury" features, like cruise control, Sync, a 6-disc CD changer, and satellite radio, that you can't normally get in a car that costs less than $20k. The gas mileage is also phenomenal for a non-hybrid car. While using it just for my incredibly short commute that consists of more parking lots and sitting at red lights than actual driving, it gets about 18 MPG. Get it out on the highway and 40 MPG isn't out of the question.

Favorite Features

Sync, satellite radio, big trunk, high gas mileage, wonderful visibility (through the side and rear-view mirrors, I can easily 4-5 lanes of traffic - great because I live in the DC area)

Suggested Improvements

More back seat legroom, more spacing between seats and the gear shifter/emergency brake, better/more interior lighting (There's no "dome light" per se, just the little reading/map lights in the front; they don't illuminate the back at all.)

A great car at a great price
By jagar

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2001 Focus with 105K miles, so I tested a 2009 model. The 2009 model is a quantum leap better than my old car. The new Focus has excellent handling and a quiet, nimble ride. Fuel economy is excellent with 39 MPG on the highway and about 28 in town. I average about 33-34 MPG in average driving and that's with the 4 speed automatic. I looked at the Toyota Corolla and the Honda Civic, but those cars cost thousands more in exchange for a marginal increase in quality & reliability. The Focus proved a better value overall. Advance Trac and SYNC are great features that virtually no other car maker offers in an automobile this inexpensive. Kudos to Ford!

Favorite Features

Comfortable interior. SYNC (the biggest improvement in cars since GPS), Advance Trac, Heated Leather Seats, fuel economy, handling, quiet ride, int. & ext. color combinations. The outstanding reliability of my old 2001 Ford Focus was a huge selling point for the new model.

Suggested Improvements

The hood and trunk were misaligned at delivery. The gauges are sometimes hard to discern and lack contrast. The audio system sounds muddled and cheap, the result of an underpowered system. Vinyl covering on sun visors is really cheap. Try cloth next time. Where is the inside trunk release?

Great Value & better than advertised MPG
By Politburo

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I spent about 80 man hours researching and test drving compact sedans before having to make a decision between the top two candidates: the Focus and the Elantra. I selected the Focus due to better overall value as for 1200 more the Focus provided Sync and leather seating (plus it looked better than the Elantra). After 6,000 miles I am quite confident I made a right decision as I have had no issues with it and the car does not get 24/33 MPG as auto tranny is listed. Rather since the engine has been broken in, it is getting something more like 28/37 as i got 35.9 on a recent 250 mile trip. The primary downside is the sluggish acceleration performance by the transmission.

Favorite Features

-SYNC! It is pretty awesome -Much better MPG than advertised -Possibly cheapest available vehicle with leather seats -Seems very reliable -Comfortable for 6'1" 220 lb man -Driver sits quite high for a compact

Suggested Improvements

-Higher quality 5 speed auto tranny -Bigger sun visors -Use better interior plastic for high traffic surfaces as it scuffs somemwhat easily -Interior design could be better: think Mazda3

SE sedan Automatic
By BarryG

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Haven't had it long at all but wanted a smaller, good gas mileage, American car. Couldn't be more pleased so far. Very comfortable, smooth, outstanding gas mileage (30+ overall), and adequate power. Doesn't feel like an econobox tin can ala the Yaris I test drove. Sync is great as is the leather wrapped steering wheel. Interior quality seems worlds above the previous Focus. Really enjoy this car and glad I'm buying American again.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, large comfortable seats, comfortable ride, sync system, stock stereo, ride quality

Suggested Improvements

Brake pedal a little high compared to gas pedal but I'm being picky and this doesn't take away from the great driving experience.