2009 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Super-Fine Focus!
By Jay on 08/25/09 07:38 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Focus has been all we could have hoped for, and MORE! The MPG is better than advertised; the "fit" is perfect; the Sirius radio is a great feature; the roominess, including a very large trunk, is wonderful. I would HIGHLY recommend it to any friend who was looking for a similar- sized car.

awesome coupe
By Dennis F on 08/20/09 18:32 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SE 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned several gti, 3 series, and mazda products. This is a killer coupe for the money and makes the Cobalt and Civic feel like econo rattle traps

So far I'm impressed !!
By gqlefty on 08/13/09 08:26 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Thanks to web-sites like this one, my selection process was easier to make. We downsized from driving an Expedition for the last 10 years. Haven't had it long but so far this SEL has made the change an easy one and my wife loves it. Especially the GAS bill !! My son drives a 99' V6 Stang and it has been bullet- proof. So I lean towards driving another Ford product. Ford has done their home work on this one and has a winner for a small car. Ford must be reading these reviews because my SEL has 3 headrests in the back seat(2 would be enough) and an inside trunk release which earlier models lacked. Will report back in about 20K miles to update my review. All for under $19K, I'm very impressed

The best American compact out there.
By srcej6 on 08/12/09 16:09 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SE 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've been extremely pleased with my 09 Focus SE coupe. I chose the 5spd because I personally can't stand to drive a car that doesn't have a lot of torque paired with an automatic. With that said the clutch uptake is very smooth and the pedals are well spaced for heel toe downshifting. The shifter itself could be shorter but the detents for the gears are positive. The car rides like a midsize sedan, very quiet and smooth. It's leagues above my friends 08 Cobalt in ride quality and noise control. While it's no drag racer it definitely is entertaining in the twisties, with the 4wheel independent suspension. Not only does it soak up bumps mid corner with ease but it is also very forgiving.

Love My Ford Focus
By Kelly on 08/12/09 13:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have always loved Ford products. I don't buy anything else. Have to say I went from a Explorer to a Focus. The transition has been great. My view is wonderful and hardly any blind spots to be had, LOVE MY SYNC! The LED LIGHTS are great and very fun! The ride is smooth and very quiet. Rides and drives like a bigger car! Boggs down a little on the hill. The MPG is wonderful and actually getting for miles to the gallon than promised on the sticker.

Zippy, fuel efficient, and spacious.
By PJ on 08/10/09 13:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a fully loaded Focus SEL with manual transmission. This car is simply designed beautifully. I am 6'4" and easily have plenty of headroom and can get 2 adults in the back without moving the seat. The stick shift is very smooth and ergonomically placed. This car zips nicely and gets me over 31 mpg so far. The sync system is really cool but the one complaint I have is the speaker placement. If you drive with the windows down like I do the wind noise really drowns out you stereo. They need to raise the speakers higher so they are closer to your head. Also,I got the SEL which makes the interior really nice. I noticed base models seem to have really cheap interiors.

Pleasantly Surprised
By Madison on 08/10/09 10:54 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SE 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just purchased this weekend as a commuter car (130 miles/day round trip). I really like what Ford did with the re-design. The old version was pretty ugly, but this one looks good for an econobox. After only 250 miles, getting almost 40 on the highway and 33 overall in a fair mix. I'm 6'3" and the two door allows easy entry and exit - plenty of legroom. Performance is about what you would expect from a N/A 4-banger - not spectacular, but sufficient. Sirius is cool. First Ford I've ever owned, so we'll see how it goes. Impressed by the fact they didn't need a bailout and they actually had inventory to choose from. So far, so good.

Okay, but not the best small car choice
By Jeff B on 08/06/09 16:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After a week driving a new Focus all over Washington State, I found the gas mileage to be very good (about 31 mpg overall), but the seats very uncomfortable, the handling poor, and the ride bouncy. It is amazing that in 2009 a company the size of Ford can still design such bad (ergonomically poor) seats. No lower back support. No lateral support. The suspension is soft, but when you hit a big bump it quickly bottoms out, and shakes the whole car. Anybody who MUST have an American car may be happy with it, but if you also drive a Mazda3, HOnda Civic, Sentra, etc. you'd never buy this car. Very disappointing.

Great Runabout Vehicle
By JayInVA on 08/05/09 08:42 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great little car. It is what it is though, and that is a eco-box with a few luxury and sport options. The loaded SES with 17" wheels and a 5-speed is very fun to drive. I wish the option for a ~200HP engine were available. The suspension in the SES is not as hard as the Honda Civic SI, but handles pretty well for a 4-door. The seats are extraordinarily comfortable. The back seats are fairly roomy too. I would buy the car again. It is a commuter and backup family car for me, so it works out well. Not recommended for more being primary grocery getter for more than 1-child. Perfect for commuting, students, occasional running about the town or as a primary touring vehicle for 2.

Very Impressed
By Nick on 08/04/09 09:55 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I received this as a Christmas present from my Dad this past Christmas. I'm 18 and this was a huge upgrade from my grandma's 1994 Ford Tempo I was driving around. All I can say is wow. It has a good amount of power and the brakes are fantastic. I drive it pretty hard, but I still get about 26-28 mpg doing a mix of city and highway driving. It's hard to explain, but the car just feels "solid". The doors close with a dull thud, instead of a hollow bang. Even things like the turn signal lever feel well built. The steering is tight and easy to maneuver, even at high speeds. The ride is overall excellent.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Focus in VA is:

$131 per month*