2009 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Zippy, fuel efficient, and spacious.
By PJ on 08/10/09 13:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a fully loaded Focus SEL with manual transmission. This car is simply designed beautifully. I am 6'4" and easily have plenty of headroom and can get 2 adults in the back without moving the seat. The stick shift is very smooth and ergonomically placed. This car zips nicely and gets me over 31 mpg so far. The sync system is really cool but the one complaint I have is the speaker placement. If you drive with the windows down like I do the wind noise really drowns out you stereo. They need to raise the speakers higher so they are closer to your head. Also,I got the SEL which makes the interior really nice. I noticed base models seem to have really cheap interiors.

Okay, but not the best small car choice
By Jeff B on 08/06/09 16:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After a week driving a new Focus all over Washington State, I found the gas mileage to be very good (about 31 mpg overall), but the seats very uncomfortable, the handling poor, and the ride bouncy. It is amazing that in 2009 a company the size of Ford can still design such bad (ergonomically poor) seats. No lower back support. No lateral support. The suspension is soft, but when you hit a big bump it quickly bottoms out, and shakes the whole car. Anybody who MUST have an American car may be happy with it, but if you also drive a Mazda3, HOnda Civic, Sentra, etc. you'd never buy this car. Very disappointing.

Great Runabout Vehicle
By JayInVA on 08/05/09 08:42 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great little car. It is what it is though, and that is a eco-box with a few luxury and sport options. The loaded SES with 17" wheels and a 5-speed is very fun to drive. I wish the option for a ~200HP engine were available. The suspension in the SES is not as hard as the Honda Civic SI, but handles pretty well for a 4-door. The seats are extraordinarily comfortable. The back seats are fairly roomy too. I would buy the car again. It is a commuter and backup family car for me, so it works out well. Not recommended for more being primary grocery getter for more than 1-child. Perfect for commuting, students, occasional running about the town or as a primary touring vehicle for 2.

Very Impressed
By Nick on 08/04/09 09:55 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I received this as a Christmas present from my Dad this past Christmas. I'm 18 and this was a huge upgrade from my grandma's 1994 Ford Tempo I was driving around. All I can say is wow. It has a good amount of power and the brakes are fantastic. I drive it pretty hard, but I still get about 26-28 mpg doing a mix of city and highway driving. It's hard to explain, but the car just feels "solid". The doors close with a dull thud, instead of a hollow bang. Even things like the turn signal lever feel well built. The steering is tight and easy to maneuver, even at high speeds. The ride is overall excellent.

New Focus Experience 5 speed manual
By DKulp on 08/02/09 17:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Comfortable, Synch is great. Fuel economy 40-41 on highway trip. 30-33 in town. Used 3 quarts oil in 3,000 miles.

Pleasant Surprise
By JWM on 07/28/09 13:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have to state this was a short rental, but first American Ford I've driven in 30 years. Great build quality and reasonably quiet. Acceleration on I-71/I-75 in uphill in Northern KY south of Cincinnati rather labored and noisy. Good brakes, but climate control needed a lot of adjusting. Am now really interested in 2010 Fusion Sport model as this Fusion at the price is a great buy.

Great car
By bob on 07/21/09 11:01 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I thought that my 2004 was a good car but it was surpassed by my 2009 Focus. Great handling, good acceleration.

Good Value
By Dave K on 07/18/09 20:26 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A car you can drive for twelve hours and not be tired. 34 MPG running at 70 MPH even with an automatic. Handles well - suspension and steering are tight. Fit and finish are very good.

2009 Focus SE Automatic
By Vince on 07/10/09 05:32 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I enjoy my 2009 Ford Focus SE. I bought the version with no Sync and I don't use the satellite radio. The automatic transmission shifts smoothly. I like the decent gas mileage and the smooth ride. Sometimes on hills the acceleration seems very slightly slow. I've put over 14000 miles on it since I bought it last September and so far it runs great. Trunk space is a real plus. One thing I'd like to see are hand grips above the driver and passenger doors. The placement of the interior light needs a rethink also. It doesn't adequately light the interior because it is too far forward. I keep cars a long time. I hope to have good things to say when I put this car over 100,000 miles.

My third Focus
By Brian on 06/25/09 14:02 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just purchased my new focus this wekk and LOVE it! (5 speed manual). The day I drove it home from the dealer I made 37 MPG! For an automobile in this class, I could ask for nothing more and have had a few suprises too! Love the Moon and tune package, quiet ride, outstanding MPG. Previous reliablity has been phenominal! our 2001 has 240000 miles with NO issues as well as our 2002 with 150000 miles (daughter has it now) with NO issues other than regular maintence. If you are looking for a great economy car, look nowhere else!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Focus Sedan in WA is:

$164 per month*