2009 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Solid compact car!
By brrugger on 11/29/09 11:05 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I decided to buy my '09 Ford Focus SE during the Cash For Clunkers. I test drove compact and midsize cars from every manufacturer except Toyota and Honda. I love the car after almost 5000 miles I have averaged about 33 mpg 40/60 city/highway driving. The car has a very comfortable driving position and the car is easy to drive. Sure its not a rocket, but I don't feel the need to race people from stop light to stop light around town. However, I have no issues merging or passing on the highway. The brakes are solid, and the car gives a confident feel on curvy roads and in windy conditions. The dash materials are hard to touch but all things I routinely touch are soft and feel nice.

Good fuel economy with power
By andrewnali on 11/10/09 10:21 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Focus SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle offers good fuel economy with enough power to enter the freeway. So many times with small 4cyl you feel as if you're going to be run over when merging onto the freeway. Not with the focus. Lots of niceties that we are still finding. I am a large man 6' and the small car still feels roomy. My wife 5' can adjust the seat and see over the steering wheel. The small things that the design engineers have incorporated into the car are very pleasing for longer road trips ie sync hands free phone and radio. You can set up the car to email you when the oil needs to be changed. Only complaint is the lower quality upholstery. You should consider and definitely test drive one.

Solid Little Runner
By Gary in WI on 10/07/09 10:07 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a new SEL with two options (ABS/ESC and Auto Tranny). I now have 3000 miles on the odometer and the car has performed flawlessly. Gas mileage has been good - 35 mph and getting better. I bought this car as a daily commuter, putting on 75 miles per day and in this regard, it has been ideal. I looked at Madza 3 and the Mini Cooper, but the price-point and simplicity of the Focus appealed to me. Also, having rented many small cars, I have had better-than-average experiences with the Focus. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase and would do it again.

12K mile report: 2009 Focus SES Coupe
By Bo on 10/03/09 08:11 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very satisfying driving experience! 36 tank fills of 50/50 mixed driving and I'm averaging 31 MPG actual (on-board computer says 32.1). Amazingly no rattles. Fit & finish very good, but door & cup holder plastic scratches easily. Dark blue metallic paint gets frequent compliments. Only maintenance: oil change/tire rotation! I added a 3- piece Curt Hitch (used for bikes, not towing) which is a perfect fit & well hidden behind bumper. The German built 5-speed manual is precise. The care appears tall for its width, but the looks will grow on you...mostly because the coupe is distinctive. Stereo should satisfy most listeners. A perfect commuting car. Only wish it was a hatch and seats folded flat

Get more than you think
By Jim on 09/07/09 14:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the SEL because of the leather int, and fuel mileage. I average 33mpg overall city/highway. Because I live in a pzev state (maine) if you want power out if the engine it needs to be around 2500 rpm. Sync is good, stereo is good seats good, arm rest well placed at least for me (tall thin) seems the late model 09 have the trunk release inside and temp and compass. I drive on not the best secondary roads most the time so other than short wheelbase issues no real complaints.

Love my car.
By dan on 09/01/09 22:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car rides great, pretty stiff suspension that handles bumps very well, and its very responsive and tight. It was mainly Sync that got my attention when it came to finding a new car. I do come from a family that has owned quite a lot of fords, because they made pretty decent cars. Take the build quality up a bit, and you get a new Ford. The car feels like its built very well. With only a 140hp engine, it does struggle to get up most hills. paired up with the 4 speed auto and no torque, driving on hilly roads isn't pleasant. I've only put 2500 miles on my car so far, but it seems to be pretty great.

Big improvemnet over previous Ford C car
By peter on 08/28/09 07:25 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Big improvement in driving dynamics and nvh over previous foci. Well equipped for price. exterior styling is a hit or miss affair. I would prefer something a little less daring. Not crazy about squarish look on front bumper cover and hood line seems a little contrived. Haven't had car for long but NVH seems good and based on past experience with Ford don't expect many service issues. Good gas mileage for a "heavy" C car. Ford has spent a lot of effort to tweak gas mileage performance.

Beat our Civic
By alwaysyodeling on 08/25/09 14:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We have been long time drivers of the Honda Civic which is a nice small car. Our FORD Focus has been a delight and we think a big improvement over the Civic. Nice tight fit,good pep,easy handling, fun, mileage 36-37 on highway driving usually at 75mph. Feels roomier inside and when I had to put four adults and baby seat in there was no problem. We had a Ford Escort 1995 that is still going for friends at 200,000 miles. The Focus feels like that kind of solid but more jazz... Oh yeah nice SYNC.

I hate this car
By mbrice03 on 08/25/09 09:33 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's way too small and has no power at all. It seems to be drinking fuel, and the transmission seems to be slipping. I hate everything about this car!

Super-Fine Focus!
By Jay on 08/25/09 07:38 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Focus has been all we could have hoped for, and MORE! The MPG is better than advertised; the "fit" is perfect; the Sirius radio is a great feature; the roominess, including a very large trunk, is wonderful. I would HIGHLY recommend it to any friend who was looking for a similar- sized car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Focus in VA is:

$130 per month*