Used 2009 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

47,000 Mile Report 2009 Focus SES Coupe
By dbk2011

2009 Ford Focus SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Extremely well built car. Bought new in Feb '09. Still looks and drives showrooom new without a squeak or rattle. ONLY maintenance to date: Oil & filter changes, tire rotations every 6K miles; replaced air filter. I ran two bottles of Gumout fuel system cleaner through the tank at 40K. At 47K miles, replaced OEM Kumho 215 45 17 tires with Continental Extreme DWS. Absolutely nothing else. Lifetime average actual fuel consumption in mixed driving is very good 30.6 MPG. Exterior look is distinctive. It is comfortable, relatively quiet and fun to drive with 5-speed manual. Very little wind noise, average road noise. Ideal commuter. Custom Curt hitch works great on this car for hauling bikes.

Favorite Features

This car is all about value. I'd highly recommend buying a low-mileage and well cared for loaded SES used. If you are thinking about buying one used, consider it was purchasable new deeply discounted and with rebates that made features like heated leather seats and electronic stability control available at a little over $16 grand. Excellent handling and tight steering feedback with 17 inch tires and wheels. Five speed manual has long throws but increases fun factor and performance. Sync IPOD and bluetooth phone system works very well. Night-time dash and ambient lighting really looks great. Big trunk. Comfortable. Plenty of cup/bottle holders. An American car actually assembled in USA!

Suggested Improvements

All black interior desperately needed some contrast; lots of black plastic, nothing else on the doors. Black leather seats were, frankly, drab and needed some contrasting textures. I'd go with the tan leather if I were to do it again. Unfortunately side mirrors didn't fold. Difficult rear seat access with coupe. If you ever plan to use rear seat, buy a sedan. An outside temp gauge and compass would have been nice. The heated seats sometimes heat unevenly and needed a low/high setting. Rear seats don't fold flat. On-board MPG computer is sometimes little more optimistic than actual MPGs (Appears most of these were resolved in new Fiesta and Focus.) Ignition key sometimes stubborn to go in.

Great Small Car
By gql

2009 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

2009 SEL...27000 miles.....30 plus mpg....Very satisfied...would buy again.....Good job Ford!!

Favorite Features

EVERTHING

Suggested Improvements

NONE

Great Car
By april1030

2009 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 09 Focus for about 2 months and its great. The gas milage is really good and I have had no problems with this car. The SYNC system is a plus but at times the voice active comands won't resgiter. I love being able to use my cell phone hands free while I am driving. The USB port is great because I can listen to my Ipod and charge it too. The area where the USB port is located is very dark at night (it is not illumnated when you turn on the headlights). I find that after I have been driving for a while my knee starts to hurT. It could be because I am only 5 feet tall. Great car for the money!

Favorite Features

SYNC, Heated leather seats, USB port, Curise control, Audio controls mounted on steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

Trunk release button inside car, Dome light, illumnated USB port area, Electric seats

Practical, Fun, & Best Value
By awelling

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has proved to be worth every penny I spent. From the fun Sync system to my 40 mpg (all highway driving), I couldn't ask for more in an economical car. I have driven 40,000 miles with only routine maintenance and I just replaced the tires. I would highly recommend this car for anyone who has long commutes daily.

Favorite Features

Sync, Built in Satellite Radio, High MPG, Fun Drive, Sleek Dash Board, & Low Maintenance Costs

Suggested Improvements

Interior Fabric, Interior Trunk Release Button, & Back Seat Dome Light

Manual transmission
By kristin sutkaitis

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My car has 23,000 miles on it. I recently took it to the dealership because I had a hard time putting into reverse and into first, when it is cold outside. they said the problem wasn't happening when they had my car. don't get me wrong I love the car, but i just want to know what wrong with it. it's still under warranty. am I the only one who is having this problem?