2009 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
why buy junk?
By tomboy17603 on 06/05/10 20:30 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SE 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had my car 1 year now and really enjoy it. While no speed demon it has decent power. My car has just what you need power Windows, locks, a/c and Sirius satellite radio, never had it before now cant do without it. Trunk is plenty large, i do maintenance work and can fit all my tools in trunk. The main reason I got car is gas mileage, I can do 60 mph with no air and get upper 40s mpg. Yes it is mostly flat drive. I am a larger person and I am comfy in car. For a factory stereo it is really good. Overall I would recommend car to anyone.

I absolutely love this Car
By refocused2010 on 05/23/10 19:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car, I bought it used from a dealership close to where I live and I will say that compared to my old focus this is absolutely amazing! I mean all the features in it are better like the new layout and design and the safety is so much better! I would recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Perfect car for teenager
By bzmom3 on 05/23/10 14:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My sister-in-law purchased the Focus for our teenage daughter. Honestly, I wanted her to get a Toyota Corolla because of the safety ratings and body styling.(Thank God, we did not end up with that since Toyota has had it's share of problems). Our other teenager has a 2005 Corolla, which has been good. The Focus has more power than the Corolla. My husband even says it is a fun car to drive. It handles well. The seat warmers are amazing! The only problem we have had is the carpeting coming out from under the trim. We had it fixed once, now it has done the same thing on the other side. I think they are cutting it too short. I don't know why this car isn't in the top picks, it deserves to be.

Great little car
By robxb on 05/18/10 12:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for about 4 months now and I really enjoy driving it. It's pretty comfortable, though I haven't taken any trips yet. The leather heated seats and sunroof are nice, and the dash + heat + radio all have a really nice interface which is easy to read and understand. Ambient lightning is a neat feature but if it's not included I wouldn't go and pay extra for it. You're looking at the road anyway. The handling is responsive, though the steering seems a bit wobbly when you go over bumps on the highway..not sure if it's supposed to do this. Had torque steer a couple times at a green light. The sunroof has a little rattle, but I'll get it checked next week.

22,500 miles and still amazed
By Bo on 05/14/10 19:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Why buy a Focus? Check out these numbers: MSRP $19.8K. Price paid $16.5K. Total maintenance cost after 22.5K miles just $140 (3 oil changes/tire rotation, sync upgrade, removed a nail from one tire). Respectable lifetime actual mileage 30.6 MPG mixed driving (computer says 31.7 MPG). Excel. fit & finish, still looks showroom new. Comfortable seats. Very good handling with 17 in Kumo tires on dry roads, but they aren't good in rain/snow. Feels substantial, not tinny. Outstanding sound insulation for wind and engine noise, but average road noise. Looks are distinctive, but appears a little tall for the width of its track. A great commuter that I really enjoy driving. Definitely consider it.

Great purchase, wonderful car
By Dennis on 05/08/10 08:55 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new during the cash4clunkers program traded my Merc G/M and had some fear going from such a large car to the Focus however I can now say that after driving the car for 7+ months through the worst winter in Philly history I have no concerns at all.`The car handles surperbly and I am able to squeeze 41 MPG on the highway. I have no problems to date not even a minor rattle. Ford has really put Quality #1 with this car.

Sufficient and economical
By Average Midwest Jane on 04/13/10 18:53 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car replaced a much-loved 2000 Saturn SL that routinely got 40 mpg highway, 32-35 in town. Driver is female, average size, over 50. The Focus turned out surprisingly comfortable and well-designed. MPG average: about 28 (this is a stick) and up to 35 highway. It handles well in snow, about as well as the Saturn, and does better in strong winds. This car has enough power to get up to expressway speed on entrance ramps. I wouldn't want to spend a long ride in the back seat, though.

Perfect in every way except one
By carl on 04/01/10 11:11 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2009 ses 11 months ago and we LOVE IT! 16,000 miles and average 43 mpg summer and 35 mpg winter (conservative speeds-60mph hwy).Now, here is my complaint: If you look closely at the area down low by the rear wheel wells in front of the wheels you will probably see that your paint is getting "sand-blasted" off the car. This is due to a poor design in the shape of car in this area.Spray from the front wheels is the culprit even after mud guards are installed. Ford/Canada is aware of this and will repair paint and cover the affected area gratis --IF YOU ASK. It is like a silent recall. I had it done and so far so good but like I stated at the top,one great car in every other way!

Focus SE Review
By Don't text and drive on 03/24/10 19:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In October of 2010 I will have had my four door 2009 SE Focus for two years. Some options I got were cruise control, 5 speed manual transmission, Black cloth interior. The only problem I've had was that a cheap two dollar spring for the clutch pedal broke, this didn't affect the cars driving ability in any way that I could see and it was a quick fix. Other than that the mechanics of the car are doing great, this car is both a peppy and smooth ride it is very fun to drive. I would very much recommend the Focus to anyone looking for a quality car for a reasonable price!

Just give it a test drive
By jon on 03/14/10 13:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my SES 2 doors coupe used form a dealer. Only had it for a week so I can't comment on reliability. I owned a Focus 2000 ZX3 before this one. It really feels like a evolution of my previous car, more refine, etc. Handling is top notch, very quick. Engine is smooth and quiet. Car comes fully equipped. It really feels solid. I don't understand why reviews are not as good for this car. It's worth a test drive, believe me.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Focus in VA is:

$131 per month*