Used 2009 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Simple Car
By 97vq30de

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car with 27k miles. It now has 31k. Exterior is okay, not all that great looking. Interior looks cheaply built. Its comfortable though. Engine is very noisy, especially under load. Transmission seems very responsive. Tires are lame; I can hear them screech on a not very tight curve. I am disappointed that cruise control is not a standard feature. Breaks seem to be responsive but the car leans too much forward. It has a very stiff suspension which I like. There seems to be some squeaky noise on the rear suspension; sounds like its coming from the spring/trailing arm. Its very fuel efficient. Visibility is awful. Makes it harder for me to park or change lanes. Audio is okay.

Nothing I can think off other than fuel efficiency. Perhaps I am very used to driving my '97 Nissan Maxima.

A quieter engine. I was going to say a better exterior design but that is taken care of with the new generation. Better handling. My 3000lbs+ Nissan Maxima handles a lot better than the Focus. Cruise Control should be a standard option.

Not too shabby at all
By dpf85

2009 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this little beast in March 2011 after I realized that a soldier's pay just wasn't going to keep allowing me the luxury of owning a Wrangler and getting 14 mpg city (and that's if I was easy on the throttle.) So far I have loved it. I'm not much of a fan of the exterior styling, but it's not terrible. The interior looks nice, and sure some of the material feels slightly cheap, but very bearable when considering cost. The sound system is actually more than impressive for the $. Gas mileage is great as well. Have noticed early wear on my back drivers side tire, too early to tell if it's going to happen again.

great factory speakers, great gas mileage, sporty-ish handling, overall fun to drive.

kinda ugly, but the newer model Focus fixed that in my opinion.

This is a fun car!
By thebrickyard

2009 Ford Focus SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased a 2009 Ford Focus SES.
It has 28k miles and is decked out - Sun roof, Sync system w/ bass speaker in the trunk, etc.
Most of all, this car is FUN to drive!
My previous used car was a '06 Mazda 3 Sport (not the turbo charged Speed, but the one just below it).
That car had everything, I loved that car, but I can honestly say that my focus, even though it's an automatic (my 3 was a manual b/c I like that), is more fun to drive.
The transmission is quick to react, the engine is more powerful (even though it's a 2.0, and my 3 was a 2.3 liter), and it takes turns better.
I wasn't in the market for a Focus, but I am SOLD!

The handling and the engine. The sunroof and sync system (which can admittedly be a bit difficult at times, but maybe that's an issue w/ my phone), and bass speaker in the back are sweet! My kids 8 and 5, fit perfectly in the back, and there is plenty of room for average size adults in the back seats. You wouldn't want to take 4 adults in a long road trip, but it works perfectly for me and the kids. Also, my kids LOVE that I can change the colors of the lights in the cup holder, and that the sync system talks to us.

I always want more speed :-). I'm going to get a K&N air filter, and consider getting the K&N air intake after my warranty expires.

Great Little Car for the Money
By kendrixjr

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased the car new in July 2009.
Replaced an F-150.
Took a while to get used to small car however when I saw the savings at the pump, loved the car.
Other than scheduled maintenance, no out of pocket expense except tires.
Currently has 53,000 miles and running great.
Material on the seats seem a bit cheap but other than that, fun car to drive.
Perfect for only 1 or 2 people.
Back seat is a bit small but would be ok for someone with small kids or someone who isn't very tall.
Would recommend this Focus to anyone.
Just make certain that the maintenance has been up to date.
The maintenance is extremely reasonable for this car.
Would definitely buy one again...

Plenty of power for a small car, maintenance is minimal, even the tires are inexpensive. Great gas mileage and fun to drive.

Cheap looking material on seats. Interior seems a bit cheap.

The tire eater
By remley

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in 2009 to replace 1989 Nissan Sentra. Wanted to buy American so the Focus was one of the cars I looked at. Got a decent deal so purchased Focus SE sedan.
It's a decent enough car but a continuing problem with premature tire wear which dealer claims is normal for this car, expect only 20000 miles of tire wear no matter the quality of the tires. Needless to say this has soured me on the car. After this experiance I'll never buy another Ford.

Good gas mileage, side air bags

Fix alignment/tire wear problems, AC unit weak,Automatic downshift is rough,suspension creaks and squeaks