2009 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
This is a fun car!
By thebrickyard on 06/22/12 06:43 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased a 2009 Ford Focus SES. It has 28k miles and is decked out - Sun roof, Sync system w/ bass speaker in the trunk, etc. Most of all, this car is FUN to drive! My previous used car was a '06 Mazda 3 Sport (not the turbo charged Speed, but the one just below it). That car had everything, I loved that car, but I can honestly say that my focus, even though it's an automatic (my 3 was a manual b/c I like that), is more fun to drive. The transmission is quick to react, the engine is more powerful (even though it's a 2.0, and my 3 was a 2.3 liter), and it takes turns better. I wasn't in the market for a Focus, but I am SOLD!

Great Little Car for the Money
By kendrixjr on 06/11/12 12:06 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased the car new in July 2009. Replaced an F-150. Took a while to get used to small car however when I saw the savings at the pump, loved the car. Other than scheduled maintenance, no out of pocket expense except tires. Currently has 53,000 miles and running great. Material on the seats seem a bit cheap but other than that, fun car to drive. Perfect for only 1 or 2 people. Back seat is a bit small but would be ok for someone with small kids or someone who isn't very tall. Would recommend this Focus to anyone. Just make certain that the maintenance has been up to date. The maintenance is extremely reasonable for this car. Would definitely buy one again...

The tire eater
By remley on 06/09/12 13:31 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in 2009 to replace 1989 Nissan Sentra. Wanted to buy American so the Focus was one of the cars I looked at. Got a decent deal so purchased Focus SE sedan. It's a decent enough car but a continuing problem with premature tire wear which dealer claims is normal for this car, expect only 20000 miles of tire wear no matter the quality of the tires. Needless to say this has soured me on the car. After this experiance I'll never buy another Ford.

Amazing!
By schwabbii on 06/06/12 15:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for about 2 years now and it is simply amazing. I went on a long drive and was getting 40 mpg, which in this economic is unheard of and a lifesaver. I haven't had any mechanical problems or problems at all and it has remained reliable. I do wish I could upgrade the car to have the sync system in the car, yet I can deal with it. I would highly recommend purchasing this vehicle if you are looking for something affordable, yet handy. Trunk and cabin is rather spacious and I don't feel claustrophobic when I'm in the car. Get it, today, seriously.

If I could go back in time, It be this car AGAIN!
By gigiaguy89 on 04/28/12 19:31 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had 2 options. Yaris, or Corolla. Went to two Toyota dealer and had them try and rip us off real bad. They wanted 17 grand for Yaris and 20 grand for basic Corolla. We walked away and were about to give up when we passed a ford dealer. We stopped in to see what they had. Fell in love with a black, focus coupe. Dealer gave it to us for 15,700 w/trade. Had it since 2009 and its running GREAT. Gas mileage is AWESOME and stereo system rocks! Trunk is huge, and back seat is comfy considering the car is a two door. Interior design is pretty cool considering other cars in its class. Love the message center and ice blue lights. The cluster instrument panel has a nice sporty look to it.

Don't buy this peice of junk
By dneilsen on 03/15/12 07:57 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new in 2009. within the first year the brakes had to be repaired the second year the cv joints went out. In 2011 I was driving it to work and had alot of vibration in the front end and found out from our mechanic that the wheel bearings was worn out. I would highly recomend you avoid this mistake.

great car!
By handle3399 on 01/04/12 18:55 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my SEL for three years -- It feels solid, quiet, peppy now that I added a Ford Speed Werks cold air intake (CAI), and performance plugs... Mileage is great, ride is plush, I put on performance tires - GF-Force to go along with CAI. HP now is estimated at 172...also has a chip. Extremely reliable even in -30 C. I like it better than new one - more distinguished design.

Its an OK car
By ss2ray on 12/13/11 14:25 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving an 09 Focus for sometime now. I own both a Chevy and Ford, and thought this would be a good car to run around town in and commute with. I thought one of these cheap eco/gas freindly car, would be a good idea. I am re-thinking this concept. What you gain in MPGs, you loose in comfort, power, peace of mind, etc. I would only recommend this car commuter car, if you can tolerate the road noise. It is noisy! The road noise is horrid, the brakes are soft and slow to respond. We had to drive this car from NC to El Paso, Texas. It was the most uncomfortable ride ever. Look elsewhere if you want to feel and be more comfortable, its worth trading the MPGs for a few $'s.

Almost 3yrs with my '09 SE sedan-automatic
By skater69 on 11/13/11 21:30 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in Feb. '09. Now closing in on 30K miles. The auto isn't exactly quick but it gets up to speed fast enough. Very comfortable car and easy to drive. Great on the highway.....80mph is about 2900rpm only. Gas mpg close to 30mpg overall. Higway 35mpg. Just a nice easy car to drive that's also comfortable with a pretty civilized ride. I love the leather wrapped steering wheel/cruise control package that my SE came with . I also like the looks. No problems at all thus far although I do hear a slight rattle coming from the left rear but it's not nearly audible enough to bother me or be that noticeable. The stock Hankooks were lame and lasted 25K miles. New Kumhos-better!

Great Small Car
By gql on 05/14/11 14:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

2009 SEL...27000 miles.....30 plus mpg....Very satisfied...would buy again.....Good job Ford!!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Focus Sedan in VA is:

$131 per month*