2009 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Terrible 2009 Ford Focus
By NannyJune on 12/07/08 13:14 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In the first 3 months of ownership, I have been to the dealer 6 times for mechanical and body issues. The car frame was totally out of whack, the front end was not aligned, the driver side wiper flew off in a horrendous rain storm, the powertrain light comes on, the transmission kicks, starts in second gear, rarely can get up to speed. They fixed most of the body issues and the windshield wiper but the rest of the problems linger. No one can find anything wrong I am told but still the powertrain light is lit and performance is bad.

Great Car!
By Owensry on 11/25/08 05:44 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Focus SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car, rides nice, love the color, Sangria Red on the SES model with the standard spoiler and the SYNC system! Great handling

Great little car!
By Papabear on 11/07/08 19:38 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for three reasons. 1-The 2005 Ford Minivan was excellent except for MPG. 2-The owner reviews on Edmunds were almost all favorable. 3-I fell in love with this model on the dealer's lot. It gets 26/36 MPG with AC on. 28/38 MPG with AC off. The mileage and pep went up after the first 1000 miles. The seats are very comfortable & my long legged son-in-law says the back seats are roomy enough. The tires, suspention entertainment & safety features are all top of the line in the SEL model that I bought. The color is a metalic gray with lots of chrome. I get complements every where I go on it.I am 76 years old & have owned 32 used & 10 new cars. This one is the best.

Focus SE 2009
By Ray on 10/22/08 05:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've been a driver of a Ford Ranger for the last 18 years (2 different trucks). My driving needs changed in the last 6 months and I needed a car. I looked at many different vehicles, Mini Cooper, VW, BMW, GM, and Dodge. For the price, features, and performance to my needs the Focus was the best choice for me. I was very pleased upon getting in and out of the vehicle that it was at a comfortable level. Coming from a truck I didn't want the vehicle to be to low to the ground. The gas mileage has been great. I drive about 90 miles round trip to work now and it's a combination of highway and city driving. I've been getting over 34 mpg. The ability to use my iPod with the sync system is great.

Great Small Car
By jturner on 09/22/08 07:34 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased for use as a well rounded, American made, economy car. I'm not a fan of GM, Toyota seemed too bland, Honda seats were too low. Other cars also seemed too high tech, which is fine, until the warranty is gone. Weight to power ratio is great, fun to drive, low maintenance. It's sporty, but certainly no sports car. However, if I wanted a hotrod, I would have purchased a hotrod. For what it is, the car is very well put together.

Unexpected 40 mpg on highway!
By Eric on 09/21/08 20:56 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My recent purchase of the Focus was the right choice. On my first tank of mostly highway miles I got 40.4 mpg. Good power with the manual 5-speed. Satellite radio is a big bonus. Cruise control is steady and the overall ride is smooth. A great feature is the constant mpg reading that helps you ease up on the pedal to get optimal mileage. I test drove the Corolla, Aveo, Cobalt, Mazda 3, Yaris and Kia Rio. Ford focus has good looks, a solid engine and was the best bang for the buck. I highly recommend it!

Love my new Focus
By amber gold on 09/16/08 06:50 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After three weeks of researching and test driving cars, my husband and I finally picked the 09 Ford Focus SE. It has plenty of trunk space, gets great gas mileage, and is fun to drive so far. The other small cars in this class could not match the price nor quality that the Focus has. I'll send another update in a few months after we get her good and broke in. Love this car!

Excellent car and great mileage
By flrdblnd on 09/05/08 05:08 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased the 2009 Focus SE and I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised. The car has good styling, the interior has enough bells and whistles to keep it interesting and the main thing is the MPG. I traded in my 2005 Ford Escape that on a good day would get 16 in town. The Focus is getting 27.2 MPG, the savings in fuel alone make the car a great buy.

Fun to Drive
By DAVE on 08/29/08 19:36 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car for the economy. The 5 speed and on the open road I am very happy with 38 mpg and its not even broken in yet. About 30 mpg around town. Handles like a charm, the ride is great but a little choppy because of the shorter wheelbase, one of the problems with cars with a short wheelbase. Love this car!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Focus in VA is:

$130 per month*