Used 2009 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Get more than you think
By Jim

2009 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the SEL because of the leather int, and fuel mileage. I average 33mpg overall city/highway. Because I live in a pzev state (maine) if you want power out if the engine it needs to be around 2500 rpm. Sync is good, stereo is good seats good, arm rest well placed at least for me (tall thin) seems the late model 09 have the trunk release inside and temp and compass. I drive on not the best secondary roads most the time so other than short wheelbase issues no real complaints.

Favorite Features

easy clean interior......dog fur sync foglights on secondary roads better than advertised fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

better lighting inside at night a true antitheft system

Love my car.
By dan

2009 Ford Focus SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car rides great, pretty stiff suspension that handles bumps very well, and its very responsive and tight. It was mainly Sync that got my attention when it came to finding a new car. I do come from a family that has owned quite a lot of fords, because they made pretty decent cars. Take the build quality up a bit, and you get a new Ford. The car feels like its built very well. With only a 140hp engine, it does struggle to get up most hills. paired up with the 4 speed auto and no torque, driving on hilly roads isn't pleasant. I've only put 2500 miles on my car so far, but it seems to be pretty great.

Favorite Features

Sync, Ambient lighting, sporty look, sporty suspension.

Suggested Improvements

More power, a 5 or 6 speed auto) would be very nice, especially with a little more power.

Big improvemnet over previous Ford C car
By peter

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Big improvement in driving dynamics and nvh over previous foci. Well equipped for price. exterior styling is a hit or miss affair. I would prefer something a little less daring. Not crazy about squarish look on front bumper cover and hood line seems a little contrived. Haven't had car for long but NVH seems good and based on past experience with Ford don't expect many service issues. Good gas mileage for a "heavy" C car. Ford has spent a lot of effort to tweak gas mileage performance.

Favorite Features

Good blend between gas mileage and performance. Good handling. Doors have a solid feel on closing. Well equipped for price. $2-3k price diff vs corolla or civic. Very spacious interior for a c class car although rear leg room is tight. Excellent sided mirrors. high rear trunk makes backing up iffy

Suggested Improvements

Interior material quality is a bit cheap. Rear door insert is plastic while the front door insert is cloth. Seat material could stand upgrade. Need 5 or 6 sp auto trans. front seats don't fold down enough to approximate level floor for cargo. interior gas release handle would be nice.

Beat our Civic
By alwaysyodeling

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We have been long time drivers of the Honda Civic which is a nice small car. Our FORD Focus has been a delight and we think a big improvement over the Civic. Nice tight fit,good pep,easy handling, fun, mileage 36-37 on highway driving usually at 75mph. Feels roomier inside and when I had to put four adults and baby seat in there was no problem. We had a Ford Escort 1995 that is still going for friends at 200,000 miles. The Focus feels like that kind of solid but more jazz... Oh yeah nice SYNC.

Favorite Features

Turning radius beats Civic. Ride is nice but don't forget you are in a small car so you will feel the road.

Suggested Improvements

Aerial, could it be built into the window?

I hate this car
By mbrice03

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's way too small and has no power at all. It seems to be drinking fuel, and the transmission seems to be slipping. I hate everything about this car!

Favorite Features

It starts and goes

Suggested Improvements

A more fuel efficient and more solidly built car would be nice.