2009 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Former Honda Fan....Love My New Ford!!!
By Marky on 03/28/09 00:14 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been a Honda owner for over 20 years! No problems and nothing bad to say about my rides over the years, but my 1999 CRV was getting a bit tired after 150G of miles and love. But time to move on. My choices are 2009-Mazda 3, Honda Civic, Pontiac Vibe and the Elantra (I saw all at the Detroit Auto Show) They were all great, with wonderful reviews but I wanted to get the best bang for my buck. I ended up checking out the Ford Focus SES Coupe and so glad I did! With Ford's incentive's and my local dealer working with me, I bought a beautiful car, loaded, thousands below the sticker. Will I miss my Honda? Not Sure , but Oh so happy with my new ride!!

ford focus review
By Jack on 03/26/09 17:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SE 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

first let me begin by stating i beat and tear at this car constantly and it's a great all around car, i've had it for about a year and been in one accident and it runs like brand new still. although the trunk may be annoying at times because it is not bolted down but that's probubly its only fault, personally i have two dual JBL subwoofers in my trunk and they sounds great in the focus... all around outstanding quality.

2009 Focus SES Coupe
By Techy on 03/22/09 21:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car! The way this car looks in black is stunning. The wheels are dark chrome, the front grill is dark chrome, even the front and back lights have a dark chrome look to them. I may be biased towards that color but it looks much better then any other color offered. The interior is pretty good for a sub-compact. SYNC is very easy to use and to set up. Cloth bucket seats are comfortable. The car turns on a dime and is very nimble, even in reverse with the pedal to the floor. The ice blue dash looks incredible at night with the ambient lighting set to Purple. The standard sound system sounds better then I expected. The trunk is HUGE. You could probably fit grown 3 teenagers inside.

Am I the only one with a lemon?
By Got a Lemon!!! on 03/17/09 12:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm having a problem with the cars handling...it vibrates and pulls when i get the car to 100km. So I was a little upset when I had to dish out money (for a rental) from my own pocket 4 months after purchasing a NEW car. Only to have them keep the car all day and tell me that it was the air in my tires??? Well they fixed the air pressure and it still vibrates. Now I have to have it checked by another mechanic or possible even have it inspected. (All out of my own pocket) All because they refuse to admit there is a problem with the car!!!

Economical car, but not a "cheap" car
By CellBlock on 03/12/09 10:41 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Focus was the first car I'd ever purchased, and while I wanted an affordable car, I didn't want to settle for the typical stripped down, no-frills, econobox. It has a lot of power and speed for a compact; press the accelerator and it gets moving. It also has some "luxury" features, like cruise control, Sync, a 6-disc CD changer, and satellite radio, that you can't normally get in a car that costs less than $20k. The gas mileage is also phenomenal for a non-hybrid car. While using it just for my incredibly short commute that consists of more parking lots and sitting at red lights than actual driving, it gets about 18 MPG. Get it out on the highway and 40 MPG isn't out of the question.

A great car at a great price
By jagar on 03/11/09 19:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2001 Focus with 105K miles, so I tested a 2009 model. The 2009 model is a quantum leap better than my old car. The new Focus has excellent handling and a quiet, nimble ride. Fuel economy is excellent with 39 MPG on the highway and about 28 in town. I average about 33-34 MPG in average driving and that's with the 4 speed automatic. I looked at the Toyota Corolla and the Honda Civic, but those cars cost thousands more in exchange for a marginal increase in quality & reliability. The Focus proved a better value overall. Advance Trac and SYNC are great features that virtually no other car maker offers in an automobile this inexpensive. Kudos to Ford!

2009 Focus SES Coupe: First 1,000 miles
By Bo on 03/10/09 21:44 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The automotive press really don't get the appeal of the Focus SES Coupe. They short change it on style and rate its performance lackluster. The truth is, this car is the complete package. Combine its blend of unique styling, confident handling, quiet/comfortable ride, stellar SYNC system with incredible fuel economy and give-away price incentives and you've discovered what makes the Focus special. Okay. It's not a performance car, but it doesn't feel like an economy car either. It's not spirited, but certainly agile. Import shoppers looking to balance fun, comfort and value really should take an SES 5-speed out for a test drive before shelling out cash for a Civic/Mazda 3/Corolla

Great Value & better than advertised MPG
By Politburo on 02/27/09 13:09 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I spent about 80 man hours researching and test drving compact sedans before having to make a decision between the top two candidates: the Focus and the Elantra. I selected the Focus due to better overall value as for 1200 more the Focus provided Sync and leather seating (plus it looked better than the Elantra). After 6,000 miles I am quite confident I made a right decision as I have had no issues with it and the car does not get 24/33 MPG as auto tranny is listed. Rather since the engine has been broken in, it is getting something more like 28/37 as i got 35.9 on a recent 250 mile trip. The primary downside is the sluggish acceleration performance by the transmission.

SE sedan Automatic
By BarryG on 02/11/09 10:51 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Haven't had it long at all but wanted a smaller, good gas mileage, American car. Couldn't be more pleased so far. Very comfortable, smooth, outstanding gas mileage (30+ overall), and adequate power. Doesn't feel like an econobox tin can ala the Yaris I test drove. Sync is great as is the leather wrapped steering wheel. Interior quality seems worlds above the previous Focus. Really enjoy this car and glad I'm buying American again.

Great Commuting Vehicle
By saintjp52 on 02/03/09 19:30 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I own a Lincoln MKX and was looking for a second commuting vehicle that was cheap in price and on gas. I am happy with my purchase of the Focus because it's built well and handles alot better than other cars that I test drove (Nissan Sentra, Toyota Carola). The interior is not the best quality however, it looks nice all lit up at night (If you take care of your car the interior should hold up just fine). The SYNC system is easy to use and very practical. The trunk is big on this little car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Focus in NJ is:

$224 per month*