Used 2009 Ford Focus SEL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Buyer beware
By cstainke

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car with 15k miles on it. Its been one problem after another. It has left us high and dry at least 4 different times where the car wouldnt start at all. 2 times is was due to the fuel pump. The fuel pump went once last Christmas day and we had to stay at a hotel out of town overnight. Then the computer on the car went out not too long ago. Everything was covered by warranty, but what a pain . Then, just yesterday, the car would start but wouldnt shift out of park at the grocery store. Shifter was somehow locked up! It is currently at the dealer and they have no clue why that happened. I will never buy another Ford car. tires wear down very fast also. on 2nd set at 5ok miles sucks

Favorite Features

We like the SYNC system and the heated seats, but none of this matters when the car is broke down and doesnt run.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the model . that would be the best improvement that Ford could make.

Issues with heated seats, AC, and Alignment. and more that wont fit in review box.
By ownerof2focus

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Alignment issues with 09 & my 08 Focus as well. Guy @Alignment shop said Focus's are known for it. Bought 09' when it was 1year old, 8,550 miles. Shortly there after we took trip out west. It was mid summer, 90 degrees, with leather seats & the heated seats kicked on and off several times. Got home & dealer fixed it under warranty. They said they had reports of others with same prob. Not long after warranty was up AC blower set on level 3 would blow hard then soft, then hard again. Because of no warranty I ignored it and dealt with it. Another 50k miles later the vents on left aren't blowing as cool of air as the 2 on right side. Can hear it cycling. Others have reported same issue online

Favorite Features

Sync system.

Suggested Improvements

Carpets that stay tucked under trim.

I've had my Focus for over a year now..
By jasebduke3435

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm like everyone who owns a Ford Focus and can't complain about them. I have a 2009 Ford Focus SEL. I love everything about it. Especally love the Sirius Satellite Radio. I can't go anywhere without listening to it. My mom and dad helped me buy it. It was a birthday gift. My dad was dead set against it. He kept bugging and nagging about how about a Hyundai, Chevy, Toyota, ANYTHING BUT A FORD was his very words. Finally made him come out of his stubborn shell. We went to the dealership where it was, we took a test drive, and he never complained about it ever. How can anyone complain if you can put a full tank of gas and your good for the next 300-400 miles.

Favorite Features

SIRIUS satellite radio Leather Seats The gas.

Not too shabby at all
By dpf85

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this little beast in March 2011 after I realized that a soldier's pay just wasn't going to keep allowing me the luxury of owning a Wrangler and getting 14 mpg city (and that's if I was easy on the throttle.) So far I have loved it. I'm not much of a fan of the exterior styling, but it's not terrible. The interior looks nice, and sure some of the material feels slightly cheap, but very bearable when considering cost. The sound system is actually more than impressive for the $. Gas mileage is great as well. Have noticed early wear on my back drivers side tire, too early to tell if it's going to happen again.

Favorite Features

great factory speakers, great gas mileage, sporty-ish handling, overall fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

kinda ugly, but the newer model Focus fixed that in my opinion.

great car!
By handle3399

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my SEL for three years -- It feels solid, quiet, peppy now that I added a Ford Speed Werks cold air intake (CAI), and performance plugs... Mileage is great, ride is plush, I put on performance tires - GF-Force to go along with CAI. HP now is estimated at 172...also has a chip. Extremely reliable even in -30 C. I like it better than new one - more distinguished design.

Favorite Features

design, long hood, leather, fog lights, ride, performance, handling, gas consumption....looks like a North American Ford.

Suggested Improvements

none....