2009 Ford Focus Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
47,000 Mile Report 2009 Focus SES Coupe
By dbk2011 on 10/09/11 08:18 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Extremely well built car. Bought new in Feb '09. Still looks and drives showrooom new without a squeak or rattle. ONLY maintenance to date: Oil & filter changes, tire rotations every 6K miles; replaced air filter. I ran two bottles of Gumout fuel system cleaner through the tank at 40K. At 47K miles, replaced OEM Kumho 215 45 17 tires with Continental Extreme DWS. Absolutely nothing else. Lifetime average actual fuel consumption in mixed driving is very good 30.6 MPG. Exterior look is distinctive. It is comfortable, relatively quiet and fun to drive with 5-speed manual. Very little wind noise, average road noise. Ideal commuter. Custom Curt hitch works great on this car for hauling bikes.

Plenty of bang for your buck
By Lee on 06/09/10 08:55 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my SES coupe a year ago and fell in love with it as soon as I test drove it. I drive a lot for my job so it just clicked over to 40k and it's still driving as well as the day I got it. The SYNC system is by far the best feature in this car: hands-free bluetooth and iPod controls with no voice-training required. The ambient lighting is a major plus, definitely adds some serious style to the car. The speakers sound better than any car I've heard, especially with the 8" sub package. Fuel economy is great, I'm averaging around 32-33 MPG on mostly back road driving. Overall an excellent car for your money - comparable to many luxury cars for under 20k

22,500 miles and still amazed
By Bo on 05/14/10 19:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Why buy a Focus? Check out these numbers: MSRP $19.8K. Price paid $16.5K. Total maintenance cost after 22.5K miles just $140 (3 oil changes/tire rotation, sync upgrade, removed a nail from one tire). Respectable lifetime actual mileage 30.6 MPG mixed driving (computer says 31.7 MPG). Excel. fit & finish, still looks showroom new. Comfortable seats. Very good handling with 17 in Kumo tires on dry roads, but they aren't good in rain/snow. Feels substantial, not tinny. Outstanding sound insulation for wind and engine noise, but average road noise. Looks are distinctive, but appears a little tall for the width of its track. A great commuter that I really enjoy driving. Definitely consider it.

Just give it a test drive
By jon on 03/14/10 13:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my SES 2 doors coupe used form a dealer. Only had it for a week so I can't comment on reliability. I owned a Focus 2000 ZX3 before this one. It really feels like a evolution of my previous car, more refine, etc. Handling is top notch, very quick. Engine is smooth and quiet. Car comes fully equipped. It really feels solid. I don't understand why reviews are not as good for this car. It's worth a test drive, believe me.

Buy American!
By Canadian on 01/16/10 15:30 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used. The design inside and out looks good with the SES package (although inexpensive for a new car, doesn't look like a cheap car). Rims look awesome, but they will get a little scratched up being flush the side of the tire. Driving and handling are great, driving 120KM on the highway feels perfectly safe. Driven in winter conditions Dec-Jan this year, no different than any other car. Has some traction control that kicks on when slipping once...car is smarter than me. Glad I bought this over the Mazda3 (I notice more and more with the passenger door dents from attempted break ins).

12K mile report: 2009 Focus SES Coupe
By Bo on 10/03/09 08:11 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very satisfying driving experience! 36 tank fills of 50/50 mixed driving and I'm averaging 31 MPG actual (on-board computer says 32.1). Amazingly no rattles. Fit & finish very good, but door & cup holder plastic scratches easily. Dark blue metallic paint gets frequent compliments. Only maintenance: oil change/tire rotation! I added a 3- piece Curt Hitch (used for bikes, not towing) which is a perfect fit & well hidden behind bumper. The German built 5-speed manual is precise. The care appears tall for its width, but the looks will grow on you...mostly because the coupe is distinctive. Stereo should satisfy most listeners. A perfect commuting car. Only wish it was a hatch and seats folded flat

Love my car.
By dan on 09/01/09 22:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car rides great, pretty stiff suspension that handles bumps very well, and its very responsive and tight. It was mainly Sync that got my attention when it came to finding a new car. I do come from a family that has owned quite a lot of fords, because they made pretty decent cars. Take the build quality up a bit, and you get a new Ford. The car feels like its built very well. With only a 140hp engine, it does struggle to get up most hills. paired up with the 4 speed auto and no torque, driving on hilly roads isn't pleasant. I've only put 2500 miles on my car so far, but it seems to be pretty great.

Best deal for a great car!
By Robotaz on 07/27/09 09:12 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned many cars and this is my favorite of all time. In the past 3 years I've owned over $100K in new cars and none of them pleased me like my Focus does. I went from a 2009 Honda Accord Coupe V6 and 2008 Honda Civic Si before that, to this car and could not possibly be happier. It does not rattle at all, unlike junk Hondas, and gets killer gas mileage. It rides like a bigger car than it is, which is awesome on city streets when you're hitting potholes and cracks. I hear no road noise. It is very, very quiet even with the "sport" muffler on the 5 speed coupe. SYNC blows away the Bluetooth in any vehicle I've owned. I cannot say enough about how good of a car this is. Bye Honda

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SES
By Ty on 06/19/09 08:16 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The first drive of the focus coupe was decent. I was impressed with the amount of features you get for the price. I searched for cheaper new cars and finaly picked the focus. I've grown to really like it. Its a good looking car with a sporty appeal. The interior is comfortably roomy and I love the sync and other toys ford has installed in the focus. It has enough power to do the job without a sacrifice in fuel economy. However the computer MPG is wrong by about 2 mpg to many which is a little misleading. Otherwise everything seems to work properly.

Former Honda Fan....Love My New Ford!!!
By Marky on 03/28/09 00:14 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been a Honda owner for over 20 years! No problems and nothing bad to say about my rides over the years, but my 1999 CRV was getting a bit tired after 150G of miles and love. But time to move on. My choices are 2009-Mazda 3, Honda Civic, Pontiac Vibe and the Elantra (I saw all at the Detroit Auto Show) They were all great, with wonderful reviews but I wanted to get the best bang for my buck. I ended up checking out the Ford Focus SES Coupe and so glad I did! With Ford's incentive's and my local dealer working with me, I bought a beautiful car, loaded, thousands below the sticker. Will I miss my Honda? Not Sure , but Oh so happy with my new ride!!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Focus Coupe in VA is:

$137 per month*