2009 Ford Focus Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
47,000 Mile Report 2009 Focus SES Coupe
By dbk2011 on 10/09/11 08:18 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Extremely well built car. Bought new in Feb '09. Still looks and drives showrooom new without a squeak or rattle. ONLY maintenance to date: Oil & filter changes, tire rotations every 6K miles; replaced air filter. I ran two bottles of Gumout fuel system cleaner through the tank at 40K. At 47K miles, replaced OEM Kumho 215 45 17 tires with Continental Extreme DWS. Absolutely nothing else. Lifetime average actual fuel consumption in mixed driving is very good 30.6 MPG. Exterior look is distinctive. It is comfortable, relatively quiet and fun to drive with 5-speed manual. Very little wind noise, average road noise. Ideal commuter. Custom Curt hitch works great on this car for hauling bikes.

Great car for the money
By Kipp8302 on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd focus and they have all been great cars. on this one I have done a few mods to it (short shifter, lowered 1.5", exhaust, intake) all of which have helped the overall performance and experience of the car. even stock the car handled very well for it's class and has great gas mileage (i maintain a 32mpg average). vast improvements over the previous models and far as comfort, sound level, performance, economy. driver comfort is great. I have done several long drives in this car with no problems. not as comfy for passengers though (not as adjustable seats). I have a kid and there is enough room for a stroller and goodies and decent back seat room for him. overall a great car.

Plenty of bang for your buck
By Lee on 06/09/10 08:55 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my SES coupe a year ago and fell in love with it as soon as I test drove it. I drive a lot for my job so it just clicked over to 40k and it's still driving as well as the day I got it. The SYNC system is by far the best feature in this car: hands-free bluetooth and iPod controls with no voice-training required. The ambient lighting is a major plus, definitely adds some serious style to the car. The speakers sound better than any car I've heard, especially with the 8" sub package. Fuel economy is great, I'm averaging around 32-33 MPG on mostly back road driving. Overall an excellent car for your money - comparable to many luxury cars for under 20k

why buy junk?
By tomboy17603 on 06/05/10 20:30 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had my car 1 year now and really enjoy it. While no speed demon it has decent power. My car has just what you need power Windows, locks, a/c and Sirius satellite radio, never had it before now cant do without it. Trunk is plenty large, i do maintenance work and can fit all my tools in trunk. The main reason I got car is gas mileage, I can do 60 mph with no air and get upper 40s mpg. Yes it is mostly flat drive. I am a larger person and I am comfy in car. For a factory stereo it is really good. Overall I would recommend car to anyone.

22,500 miles and still amazed
By Bo on 05/14/10 19:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Why buy a Focus? Check out these numbers: MSRP $19.8K. Price paid $16.5K. Total maintenance cost after 22.5K miles just $140 (3 oil changes/tire rotation, sync upgrade, removed a nail from one tire). Respectable lifetime actual mileage 30.6 MPG mixed driving (computer says 31.7 MPG). Excel. fit & finish, still looks showroom new. Comfortable seats. Very good handling with 17 in Kumo tires on dry roads, but they aren't good in rain/snow. Feels substantial, not tinny. Outstanding sound insulation for wind and engine noise, but average road noise. Looks are distinctive, but appears a little tall for the width of its track. A great commuter that I really enjoy driving. Definitely consider it.

Just give it a test drive
By jon on 03/14/10 13:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my SES 2 doors coupe used form a dealer. Only had it for a week so I can't comment on reliability. I owned a Focus 2000 ZX3 before this one. It really feels like a evolution of my previous car, more refine, etc. Handling is top notch, very quick. Engine is smooth and quiet. Car comes fully equipped. It really feels solid. I don't understand why reviews are not as good for this car. It's worth a test drive, believe me.

Buy American!
By Canadian on 01/16/10 15:30 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used. The design inside and out looks good with the SES package (although inexpensive for a new car, doesn't look like a cheap car). Rims look awesome, but they will get a little scratched up being flush the side of the tire. Driving and handling are great, driving 120KM on the highway feels perfectly safe. Driven in winter conditions Dec-Jan this year, no different than any other car. Has some traction control that kicks on when slipping once...car is smarter than me. Glad I bought this over the Mazda3 (I notice more and more with the passenger door dents from attempted break ins).

Second Focus in Family
By born2bwild on 01/08/10 15:56 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife drives a 2007 with low mileage, I liked the feel and pep her car had and bought my 2dr. I traded my 07 Mustang because gas was just to expense to drive to work. I drive 35 miles one way to work, the car performs real good. Quicker off the line then a Cobalt or Nissan that I rented. Stylish ride comfort is ok . Fuel mileage is great, averaging 38 MPG , did 40 mpg a couple of times and I am not light on the pedal. I would recommend the car to anyone . Stock Pirelli P 6 tires very bad in real light snow. I have 24k on the car and replaced the tires because of the way they handled. But over all quality is good and looks are great. Fun to drive and feel solidly built.

Love it!
By Kennon on 12/23/09 13:07 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drove Mazda 6's from 1988 till now. I drive a lot of miles every year chasing my hobbies, kids, and getting to work. For me a car must fit my body with arm rests and foot rests properly placed. I spend a minimum of two and a half hours driving every day. My cars mus not be hard to handle in windy or wet conditions. Great mileage with enough power to run cruise control on long hills are a must. This little Ford is a pleasure to drive and ride in. Mileage 37 Summer 33 Winter 87 Octane. Less on E10 by 2mpg Mixed driving. Best 41mpg on I-80 in August, Worst 29 last week at -6F

12K mile report: 2009 Focus SES Coupe
By Bo on 10/03/09 08:11 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very satisfying driving experience! 36 tank fills of 50/50 mixed driving and I'm averaging 31 MPG actual (on-board computer says 32.1). Amazingly no rattles. Fit & finish very good, but door & cup holder plastic scratches easily. Dark blue metallic paint gets frequent compliments. Only maintenance: oil change/tire rotation! I added a 3- piece Curt Hitch (used for bikes, not towing) which is a perfect fit & well hidden behind bumper. The German built 5-speed manual is precise. The care appears tall for its width, but the looks will grow on you...mostly because the coupe is distinctive. Stereo should satisfy most listeners. A perfect commuting car. Only wish it was a hatch and seats folded flat

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Focus Coupe in VA is:

$137 per month*