Used 2009 Ford Focus Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

47,000 Mile Report 2009 Focus SES Coupe
By dbk2011

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Extremely well built car. Bought new in Feb '09. Still looks and drives showrooom new without a squeak or rattle. ONLY maintenance to date: Oil & filter changes, tire rotations every 6K miles; replaced air filter. I ran two bottles of Gumout fuel system cleaner through the tank at 40K. At 47K miles, replaced OEM Kumho 215 45 17 tires with Continental Extreme DWS. Absolutely nothing else. Lifetime average actual fuel consumption in mixed driving is very good 30.6 MPG. Exterior look is distinctive. It is comfortable, relatively quiet and fun to drive with 5-speed manual. Very little wind noise, average road noise. Ideal commuter. Custom Curt hitch works great on this car for hauling bikes.

Favorite Features

This car is all about value. I'd highly recommend buying a low-mileage and well cared for loaded SES used. If you are thinking about buying one used, consider it was purchasable new deeply discounted and with rebates that made features like heated leather seats and electronic stability control available at a little over $16 grand. Excellent handling and tight steering feedback with 17 inch tires and wheels. Five speed manual has long throws but increases fun factor and performance. Sync IPOD and bluetooth phone system works very well. Night-time dash and ambient lighting really looks great. Big trunk. Comfortable. Plenty of cup/bottle holders. An American car actually assembled in USA!

Suggested Improvements

All black interior desperately needed some contrast; lots of black plastic, nothing else on the doors. Black leather seats were, frankly, drab and needed some contrasting textures. I'd go with the tan leather if I were to do it again. Unfortunately side mirrors didn't fold. Difficult rear seat access with coupe. If you ever plan to use rear seat, buy a sedan. An outside temp gauge and compass would have been nice. The heated seats sometimes heat unevenly and needed a low/high setting. Rear seats don't fold flat. On-board MPG computer is sometimes little more optimistic than actual MPGs (Appears most of these were resolved in new Fiesta and Focus.) Ignition key sometimes stubborn to go in.

Great car for the money
By Kipp8302

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd focus and they have all been great cars. on this one I have done a few mods to it (short shifter, lowered 1.5", exhaust, intake) all of which have helped the overall performance and experience of the car. even stock the car handled very well for it's class and has great gas mileage (i maintain a 32mpg average). vast improvements over the previous models and far as comfort, sound level, performance, economy. driver comfort is great. I have done several long drives in this car with no problems. not as comfy for passengers though (not as adjustable seats). I have a kid and there is enough room for a stroller and goodies and decent back seat room for him. overall a great car.

Favorite Features

fuel economy for a cheap price, comfort and styling of coupe (has older svt focus styled bumpers) sync and usb/aux input. strong motor and transmission

Suggested Improvements

stiffer suspension and more power. with the economy the way it is now the resale isn't the best either. bought new late 08 for 16.4k and only worth about 11k now. new ones are going for less now, but definitely an car worth keeping. will run forever with basic maintained.

Plenty of bang for your buck
By Lee

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my SES coupe a year ago and fell in love with it as soon as I test drove it. I drive a lot for my job so it just clicked over to 40k and it's still driving as well as the day I got it. The SYNC system is by far the best feature in this car: hands-free bluetooth and iPod controls with no voice-training required. The ambient lighting is a major plus, definitely adds some serious style to the car. The speakers sound better than any car I've heard, especially with the 8" sub package. Fuel economy is great, I'm averaging around 32-33 MPG on mostly back road driving. Overall an excellent car for your money - comparable to many luxury cars for under 20k

Favorite Features

SYNC, Ambient lighting, sound system, very sporty looks, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

No real complaints, but it needs an interior trunk release, and my SYNC system occasionally disconnects my phone, but that's more of a small annoyance. Also it would be nice to have the ambient lighting pulse with the music.

why buy junk?
By tomboy17603

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had my car 1 year now and really enjoy it. While no speed demon it has decent power. My car has just what you need power Windows, locks, a/c and Sirius satellite radio, never had it before now cant do without it. Trunk is plenty large, i do maintenance work and can fit all my tools in trunk. The main reason I got car is gas mileage, I can do 60 mph with no air and get upper 40s mpg. Yes it is mostly flat drive. I am a larger person and I am comfy in car. For a factory stereo it is really good. Overall I would recommend car to anyone.

Favorite Features

I would have to say the best features are gas mileage, Sirius satellite, fit and finish of car

Suggested Improvements

only thing I can think of is a 6 speed manual instead of the 5 speed. I could go faster and get the same great mileage.

22,500 miles and still amazed
By Bo

2009 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Why buy a Focus? Check out these numbers: MSRP $19.8K. Price paid $16.5K. Total maintenance cost after 22.5K miles just $140 (3 oil changes/tire rotation, sync upgrade, removed a nail from one tire). Respectable lifetime actual mileage 30.6 MPG mixed driving (computer says 31.7 MPG). Excel. fit & finish, still looks showroom new. Comfortable seats. Very good handling with 17 in Kumo tires on dry roads, but they aren't good in rain/snow. Feels substantial, not tinny. Outstanding sound insulation for wind and engine noise, but average road noise. Looks are distinctive, but appears a little tall for the width of its track. A great commuter that I really enjoy driving. Definitely consider it.

Favorite Features

17" wheels look great. Flawless 5 speed manual. Excellent Sync and stereo system. Electronic stability control. Large trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Really needs folding side mirrors, cabin A/C filter, otside temp. gauge, some contrasting stitching and color to dress up the black leather seats. Better front seat side bolstering would be nice. Rear seats do not fold flat. Wiper whistle above 70 mph.