2008 Ford Focus Coupe Consumer Reviews 3

2008 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

2008 Focus Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Rating
Not bad for the price! Focus SES 5 speed
By Jesse

2008 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First Time Ford/American new Car Buyer! Ford's Fuel economy/reliability record w/ Focus/fun to drive vehicle caught my attention! With the Focus SES, I got a fully loaded car w/ leather seats! Great combination of sytle, electronic gadgets (sync, 6 CD w/ bass box, Sirius, Sunroof,etc.), sport handling/comforable ride, solid car feeling, smooth engine, fuel economy, and it's been a pleasure to drive w/ a manual transmission. Exterior fit and finish could use a little more refinement (the front hood alignment is a little off w/ the body). Overall, not bad for the price. ney. 8+ months later, the Focus is still a thumbs up.

Favorite Features

Heated Leather Seats, Sync, Ambiance Lights, fun to drive, Remote control trunk release, good performance (for a 4 cyln engine), sports suspension combined with a comfortable ride, solid feeling (as compared to light and airy Japanese models), heated mirrows, safety features, etc.

Suggested Improvements

The interior is not bad, and I'd like to see Ford reach the levels of refinement that the Japanese have (Scion TC, Mazda3). Sun Visors, quality of interior panals, and trunk carpeting, better resale value (like the Japanese). When Ford brings the Euro Focus/Fiesta to US, it will be even better!

My Ford Focus
By Kathy

2008 Ford Focus Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I always owned sports cars then moved into minivans as a soccer mom, the kids are grown mostly so I moved back into a sporty but economical car. Great gas mileage, good pick up speed to jump on the highway, for a smaller car you don't have to drop down on the ground to get in the car. I like the dash illumination, my only negative would be sometimes it picks up a rock and the sound enters the passenger compartment kind of loud.

Favorite Features

Pick speed to enter highway, and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Electric seats and movable steering wheel.

YOU CAN TOW WITH A FOCUS!!!!
By pythonkiller

2008 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Almost didn't buy my Focus because they couldn't find a tow hitch to fit it, but did at the last minute. I pull a retro-looking hard side trailer filled with my possessions as I move across the country for my work (wildland firefighter). Total weight 1500 lbs and the car pulls great. Only had to downshift a couple times up the passes in CA. Sync is cool! Just hope it doesn't crash like my microsoft laptop, but so far so good. One negative is a weird gap where the trunk meets the rear quarter panel, no leaks but it may be an early assembly glitch. (I got one of the first cars of the line) My baby has been from MN to FL to CA and back to FL in this year alone, all pulling the trailer!!!

Favorite Features

The 125 HP engine is a major upgrade. 5 speed manual is fun to drive. Sync needs a little tweaking but still cool. Oil filter is easy to get to!!!! MPG while towing:20-25

Suggested Improvements

Spare tire, control consol very busy if you are new to it, body styling could improve (rear spoiler is not kidding anyone!) but hey...the car is an economy model, not a street racer!

Not too shabby
By alisajg

2008 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Focus to replace my nightmare VW Beetle. Overall I like it .I'm at 14,000 miles. It does well in all weather. I find the seats to be very comfortable. The seat backs are high, which is great because I'm on the tall side (for a female). The moonroof is nice, but cuts a lot of headroom in the backseat. The back seat is hard to get into with the coupe. SYNC is pretty neat, but hard to use sometimes. The brakes are terrible, and are very underpowered. The headlights are not very bright, and I'm probably going to put in some HIDs. I have beige cloth that I have worked very hard to keep clean, but I should have gotten leather. I get better than estimated MPG. Nice, smooth clutch.

Favorite Features

Built-in Sirius, moonroof, "Euro" suspension, MPG, Perelli tires, SYNC makes life easier when it comes to the phone features, but its not user friendly with my iPod.

Suggested Improvements

Better brakes (i.e. 4-wheel disc) and headlights, inside truck release, standard spare tire (was not standard on '08 models), the ambient interior lighting is net but definitely not worth $300

For the price, you gotta look at it.
By Sisao Tresed

2008 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My daughter took my Honda Civic to college. She said she had fallen in love with it during the summer and it was no use to try to pry it from her hands. I had rented a few Focuses and always enjoyed their pure simple performance. went over to Ford to look at one. Finances were tight. I ended up buying an SES 2 Dr. with all the bells and whistles. The price put the imports to shame. No, it's not a Beemer or an Audi. But I bought in on my credit card! It was half the price of the cars we had looked at. It goes very well, it can corner, and it can get up and go with that smooth 5-speed. It shines up real well, and even the Pirellis hold their own on tough surfaces. I'm happy!

Favorite Features

Great looks, very peppy, and the family like all of the plug-in gismos. It gets good mileage, and it holds lots of cargo in the trunk. Engine is very quiet and the gearbox is smooth as silk. For the price of this car you simply must give it a look if you are on any kind of budget.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of those sun visors. I am desperately trying to find aftermarket units. The trunk release is kind of a security thing for me, I have the release on the keys. The AC/heat vents are not very effective in directing air away from or towards you. Light switch is in a funky place. That's all!

Still just a nice car 20,000 later
By 50 Something old guy

2008 Ford Focus Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Still a nice little car after 20,000 miles. Still averaging 30mpg mixed driving. Got as high as 37mpg on along road trip. Still no squeks, no rattles and still a hoot to drive. No service except for oil changes and tire rotations. Maybe the lite truck guys did have something to do with this baby Ford. Looks good, goes great. 180,000 miles more and I'll know if it's been built Ford tough like my Ford trucks.

Favorite Features

Nice looks, good performance

Suggested Improvements

Front driver's seat needs help. I just can't seem to find a way to get really comfy

Great car. Fun. Cheap!
By James C

2008 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it used with 3000 kms on it. Black 2door with the dark interior. 5 speed. Fun and nimble in turns. I am planning to add the 2009 2door coupe rear roof spoiler and a 3d carbon body kit to it for looks. Other than that it's an excellent car that is easy to drive and I send anyone I know that is looking at a new car to go look at it and test one! The motor is not a barn burner, but will hold you at 140km/h all day and not think about it! would love to add a 6 speed (overdrive) but hey- it's a $15000 car not a $25000 one. Its handling is not a Lambo but it takes everything I toss at it and I havn't gotten it on 2 wheels yet!

Favorite Features

SYNC. Hands free is great! The drivers seat is height adjustable too! I am 6'4 and fit with extra room! I recomend looking at the leather befor you buy it. I didn't like it but some do. I think it has a Volvo sport look thing when looking down the front side!

Suggested Improvements

Better display of sat/radio info (better text display!) , Better headlight output. As for the lack of trunk release, If you have remote power trunk and want an inside the car button (doesn't have one)-ask your local dealer to install!

Nice little car for the money!
By Laura from SF

2008 Ford Focus Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Nearly bought a used Corolla for my daughter after her Accord was totaled (not her fault). I am so glad I checked the newspaper and saw the great rebates Ford was offering, this car cost less that than the Corolla and had so much more to offer in terms of gadgets and safety features. The performance is quite peppy and have not has any issues since purchased. The car is cute and turns a lot of heads, they always ask what it is and are pleasantly surprised to find out it's a Ford. I feel comforatable with my daughter driving back and forth from college with this car. It's got six airbags. I enjoy driving it too, when I get the chance.

Favorite Features

My daughter enjoys all of the gadgets, trunk space is good for a small car. Good mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Interior trunk release would be nice!

Cool Little Package
By J. Stiles

2008 Ford Focus Coupe SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. Love to drive it when I can get it away from my wife. Excellent mileage. Good performance for a 2.0 litre. Styling turns heads and gets compliments. The toys inside rock. It's a total 21st century rig. Lots of room for the size of the vehicle. Overall, we love this car.

Favorite Features

Mileage, driveability, and styling

Suggested Improvements

Minor negatives: Sun visors very flimsy and weak. No inside trunk release. No shoulder belt adjustment.

Cost average with gas versus my Expedition
By Tnerb

2008 Ford Focus Coupe S 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far I'm pleased with the car. I purchased it with the thought that I would cut my fuel consumption for my Expedition. Gas was $4.25 when I bought. I took a trip to Carlsbad caverns and also to the Grand Canyon, my weekend trip was in excess of 1300 miles. My dislike: Radio has an XM button I'm unable to add XM to the radio or any of the Sync options, there is no upgrade other than going to a higher cost on the vehicle. Cruise control: Engineers this is a gas miser add cruise? No spare, yes you save weight, break down in the desert New Mexico see if you walk out. No aftermarket, no cruise, no radio and who knows about a spare. Other than that I like.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Add spare or donut tire, break down in New Mexico and the engineers testing it won't walk out in 120 degree heat. Add cruise to low end models this is a gas miser help us suckers who have taken a $20K hit on or Expeditions and pickups. Radio and sync add to all the cars no matter the model