Used 2008 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

2008 Ford Focus: Best Bang for the Buck
By Dave R

2008 Ford Focus S 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Focus S Coupe mainly for the gas mileage, as the price at the pump was over $4/gal at the time. I test drove an automatic first, then a manual, and settled on the 5-speed, as it literally left the automatic for dead at stoplights. What is more, the manual seemed to hunt between its two top gears with an annoying frequency. This is not a problem when you stir your own gears. Having owned mostly European cars, I was pleasantly surprised with the up-high seating position of the Focus. I also like the steering feel, as it lacks the numbness of so many American cars I have driven. Performance is pretty decent for a car of this type, and the engine is well behaved at all speeds.

Up high seating, excellent steering feel, well behaved engine and more than adequate headroom for my 6'-2" frame. The stock sound system is pretty good for the price, and its controls have the feel of what one would find in a much more expensive car. The trunk is downright cavernous for a coupe.

A little more AC capacity would be nice on really hot days. Slightly narrower front-seat backs would be helpful, and a remote trunk release would be a nice touch, also. My car is a base model, which I knew going in, so if you don't like a lot of driver involvement, move up-model a notch or two.

I'm delighted with this car
By MaineCat

2008 Ford Focus S 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When I bought this car, I was making a 74-mile round trip commute. The car has performed beautifully and more than lived up to its EPA gas mileage estimate. (I got about 40mpg driving mostly back roads and highways, even with my heavy foot.) Sales and service experiences have been great. My only complaint is that the headrests are a little uncomfortable for me; they tend to push my head forward more than is comfortable, hence the 8s in comfort and interior design. This car has been great fun to drive, and I'm glad I chose the Focus over the other models I was considering (Chevy Aveo, Honda Fit, and others in similar class.)

Gas mileage, reliability, smooth ride even on lousy Maine roads, great stereo.

Please redesign the head rests to be more comfortable.

2008 Ford Focus SES (5 Speed)
By Jesse

2008 Ford Focus SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Nissan lover who turned to Ford! I loved my 200SX SER for many years, but needed to buy a Truck. Throughout the years, I longed for a fuel efficent, sporty, compact 2 door coupe like I once had. Out of the blue, I thought I'd take a chance on a 2007 Focus SE, and enjoyed owning it. When the 2008 Focus came out, I got excited, and I knew I had to "upgrade." The Focus is fun to drive, and it's even better with a manual tranny. I have been very happy with my purchase. I've read a lot of "Car Critics" review of the Focus, and they bash Ford at every angle minus the Sync system. Critics only like Japanese compact vehicles! For the price, you can't beat all the great features Ford offers.

Heated leather seats, Sync, Sirius radio, sunroof, safety features, fun driving experience, quiet interior, 6 CD capacity + bass box in the trunk, USB Port, chrome pieces, great gas mileage, sporty look, and I like the Solid car feel. (Japanese compacts are light and airy feeling). American built!

Minor stuff only. More scratch resistant Paint that's not easily scratched, side moldings (I hate parking lot dents), thicker trunk lining.

Ford Focus S
By Papasrx

2008 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Since I purchased this vehicle I have averaged a consistant 37MPG over 13000 miles driven but I drive mostly highway. It is an automatic transmission and the ride for a compact is excellent. I can say that it is not a Honda Civic but it costs 6K less. I would say for the money there is no better buy on the market.

Engine compartment arrangment. Ease of oil change.

Better fitting interior trim.

Fun in the sun!
By BenAZ

2008 Ford Focus SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It has been a fun drive so far. I love to take turns at fast speeds, and not hear a tire squeak. It has plenty of power and can be pretty zippy.

SYNC, hand controls on steering wheel, Sirius radio -- all great features. I like the look of the dash and the dials at night are awesome.

Auto headlights should be standard, as it is really the biggest thing lacking to make this car feel more luxurious. Trunk release latch inside the car would also be nice.