2008 Ford Focus Consumer Review: 2008 Ford Focus: Best Bang for

2008 Ford Focus - Consumer Review

S Coupe (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

2008 Ford Focus: Best Bang for the Buck
By Dave R on

2008 Ford Focus S 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Focus S Coupe mainly for the gas mileage, as the price at the pump was over $4/gal at the time. I test drove an automatic first, then a manual, and settled on the 5-speed, as it literally left the automatic for dead at stoplights. What is more, the manual seemed to hunt between its two top gears with an annoying frequency. This is not a problem when you stir your own gears. Having owned mostly European cars, I was pleasantly surprised with the up-high seating position of the Focus. I also like the steering feel, as it lacks the numbness of so many American cars I have driven. Performance is pretty decent for a car of this type, and the engine is well behaved at all speeds.

Up high seating, excellent steering feel, well behaved engine and more than adequate headroom for my 6'-2" frame. The stock sound system is pretty good for the price, and its controls have the feel of what one would find in a much more expensive car. The trunk is downright cavernous for a coupe.

A little more AC capacity would be nice on really hot days. Slightly narrower front-seat backs would be helpful, and a remote trunk release would be a nice touch, also. My car is a base model, which I knew going in, so if you don't like a lot of driver involvement, move up-model a notch or two.