Used 2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Focus legacy
By carguy1654

2008 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my 2008 focus SE last summer. It has been so great! 40 miles to the gallon is a plus. It is actually my 2nd focus my first being a 2000. I put 200k on my 2000 and so far 20k on my 2008. Defiantly a HUGE step up. Way better horse power and very peppy style. I would not be afraid to drive either of them across the country tomorrow. Best compact car on the market. Never had a problem with any of my focus's. In a few more years I will be looking forward to buying a next generation focus

40+ mpg, heat mirrors, chrome package, sync

Nothing at all

Very Good Compact Car
By jklag11

2008 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have had my 2008 Focus since 2009 and 9,000 miles. Have about 45,000 miles on it now and am very happy with the car. Provides a nice balance of a soft, quiet ride, and decent handling. I get about 29 mpg on my commute in heavy city driving. On highway trips, have gotten as good as 45 mpg. Sync system is easy to use and links my phone and iPod without problems. Trunk is very good size for a compact car with a nice, wide opening. Would definitely recommend.

Smooth, quiet ride. Sync system works well and is easy to use. Good trunk size. Excellent fuel economy. Good reliability.

Somewhat narrow cockpit - I'm 5'10" but with broad shoulders and my elbow is generally pushed against the door when I drive. Somewhat restricted visibility for parking.

Good commuter/family car
By sirhawkeye

2008 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 2008, and 2010 and a 2012 Focus thus far (as of this writing), and I think the 2008 and 2010 are the best of them all. It's not the sportiest car out there, and the dash in the 2008-2011 models looks a little dated) but they are reliable, get good gas mileage, and are safe cars (found out in my 2010 unfortunately). Sync is easier to use in this area (2008-11) than in newer version of the Focus. The 2008-2011 is a good move in the right direction for Ford, especially with the previous generations (2000-04 especially) having issues. I had no problems with either the 2008 or 2010, and I put about 40k on both.

Fun to drive, very good power-to-weight ratio, safe, excellent gas mileage (especially on the highway). Good price point (very affordable, safe car for many people).

* I really disliked the design of the guages (how the numbers "wrapped" around the center of each guage... looked odd). * Shift indicator on the dash somewhere would be nice so you don't have to look down to see what gear you're in (if you're moving between park, neutral, and drive). * Make cruise control, ABS and power windows standard on all models (ABS is standard on all Focuses since about 2010, but not on the 2008).

Good reliable car
By wharpig

2008 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car used with 34k miles a few years ago and it hasnt let us down yet. Its a great reliable car that has roughly 80k miles on it to date. I drive 100 miles to work and back mostly highway and get 36-42MPG. I did add a K&N air filter which boosted the MPG about 4-5MPG. Its a nice peppy car for a small car and doesnt feel under powered like alot of smaller cars I have drove. I havent had one problem with the car and would reccomend it for anyone looking for a good gas saver.

SYNC is a great option and is even better on the newer models I have looked at.

My only complaint is the resale value, I know most small cars dont hold their value well but the resale value is horrible for the focus.

Not my favorite but I'm thankful
By lad87nek

2008 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car with 47k miles. I'm at 104k now. This car was always dependable as far as starting each morning and getting me where I'm going. Now when it came to the doors always opening or buttons that cost 250 bucks to replace breaking... well that was my experience with my focus. The back door mechanisms completely fell apart FOUR times in 2 years. Also had problems with buttons and knobs breaking. My last car was a 1992 and didn't wear down those things so fast. Talk about cheap. But what wasn't cheap was to fix the things that broke. I will say that I was involved in a rollover accident with my focus and totaled it. Rolled it 3 times and walked away unscathed.

Improve your door handles. Also need a light for the back seat, it's pitch black back there. More leg room for the passengers would be nice to. You can't fit more then one car seat back there because it's so cramped. That's not family friendly.