Used 2008 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Reliable with minor issues
By willt5

2008 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Focus because it was affordable and was known for being reliable. So far my experience with the car has been good. I've owned it for about a year and a half and so far have changed the notoriously bad motor mounts and sway bar links. Other repairs that will be needed in the future are the control arms due to the bushings going bad. Car only has 65,000 miles on it and basic parts are starting to wear. Otherwise, it has been fairly cheap to maintain and reliable.

Focus legacy
By carguy1654

2008 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my 2008 focus SE last summer. It has been so great! 40 miles to the gallon is a plus. It is actually my 2nd focus my first being a 2000. I put 200k on my 2000 and so far 20k on my 2008. Defiantly a HUGE step up. Way better horse power and very peppy style. I would not be afraid to drive either of them across the country tomorrow. Best compact car on the market. Never had a problem with any of my focus's. In a few more years I will be looking forward to buying a next generation focus

40+ mpg, heat mirrors, chrome package, sync

Nothing at all

Very Good Compact Car
By jklag11

2008 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have had my 2008 Focus since 2009 and 9,000 miles. Have about 45,000 miles on it now and am very happy with the car. Provides a nice balance of a soft, quiet ride, and decent handling. I get about 29 mpg on my commute in heavy city driving. On highway trips, have gotten as good as 45 mpg. Sync system is easy to use and links my phone and iPod without problems. Trunk is very good size for a compact car with a nice, wide opening. Would definitely recommend.

Smooth, quiet ride. Sync system works well and is easy to use. Good trunk size. Excellent fuel economy. Good reliability.

Somewhat narrow cockpit - I'm 5'10" but with broad shoulders and my elbow is generally pushed against the door when I drive. Somewhat restricted visibility for parking.

Good commuter/family car
By sirhawkeye

2008 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 2008, and 2010 and a 2012 Focus thus far (as of this writing), and I think the 2008 and 2010 are the best of them all. It's not the sportiest car out there, and the dash in the 2008-2011 models looks a little dated) but they are reliable, get good gas mileage, and are safe cars (found out in my 2010 unfortunately). Sync is easier to use in this area (2008-11) than in newer version of the Focus. The 2008-2011 is a good move in the right direction for Ford, especially with the previous generations (2000-04 especially) having issues. I had no problems with either the 2008 or 2010, and I put about 40k on both.

Fun to drive, very good power-to-weight ratio, safe, excellent gas mileage (especially on the highway). Good price point (very affordable, safe car for many people).

* I really disliked the design of the guages (how the numbers "wrapped" around the center of each guage... looked odd). * Shift indicator on the dash somewhere would be nice so you don't have to look down to see what gear you're in (if you're moving between park, neutral, and drive). * Make cruise control, ABS and power windows standard on all models (ABS is standard on all Focuses since about 2010, but not on the 2008).

Issues with door latches, and truck latch.
By ownerof2focus

2008 Ford Focus Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2008 Focus Automatic(why doesn't Edmunds have the automatic as option for review?) brand new. First winter the passenger side door lock froze. 6months into ownership of it the carpet came undone from under plastic door trim on both sides of car. Same issue with "09" too. 2 years in the trunk door latch is blown. We had to rig it so can open from pulling a rope threaded though the fold down back seat. Asked it to be repaired when had it in for service and idiots at shop failed to do anything to it. Haven't taken it back. 5yrs old now and back door on passenger side will not latch. Going to have to have it repaired when have the money. Issues with alignment on it and the 2009 too.

Fav features of 08 Gas mileage.

Suggest that they stop being so cheap with the carpets. Having two focus have same issues with carpets coming undone it can't be a fluke. Have heard others have same issue too.