Used 2008 Ford Focus S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Reliable with minor issues
By willt5

2008 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Focus because it was affordable and was known for being reliable. So far my experience with the car has been good. I've owned it for about a year and a half and so far have changed the notoriously bad motor mounts and sway bar links. Other repairs that will be needed in the future are the control arms due to the bushings going bad. Car only has 65,000 miles on it and basic parts are starting to wear. Otherwise, it has been fairly cheap to maintain and reliable.

Issues with door latches, and truck latch.
By ownerof2focus

2008 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2008 Focus Automatic(why doesn't Edmunds have the automatic as option for review?) brand new. First winter the passenger side door lock froze. 6months into ownership of it the carpet came undone from under plastic door trim on both sides of car. Same issue with "09" too. 2 years in the trunk door latch is blown. We had to rig it so can open from pulling a rope threaded though the fold down back seat. Asked it to be repaired when had it in for service and idiots at shop failed to do anything to it. Haven't taken it back. 5yrs old now and back door on passenger side will not latch. Going to have to have it repaired when have the money. Issues with alignment on it and the 2009 too.

Fav features of 08 Gas mileage.

Suggest that they stop being so cheap with the carpets. Having two focus have same issues with carpets coming undone it can't be a fluke. Have heard others have same issue too.

Quality Control
By SteveKrause

2008 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car from the beginning had problems, I have taken the vehicle in for window problems the carpet from the beginning would not stay under the door trim piece. I always hear noises from the front end until one day the transmission goes out. I have read other reviews of the same problems.

The gas millage is nice it got 35 mpg however if you figure the cost of new transmission gas mileage does not go that far.

Get a better quality control.

Non-working doors
By CP

2008 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I do love my economic little Focus and how it handles great in the snow, HOWEVER, I am livid that my car is only two years old and the car door latches are rusting and making it hard to open the doors. My passenger side door will now no longer open from the outside. Is anyone else having problems with this? I called my dealership and they said they didn't think it was covered under warranty but I feel that Ford should be willing to fix doors rusting shut on one of their two year old cars when one of their customers is still paying on the car for three more years, I feel like I have a clunker again!

In the shop
By cornbreed

2008 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My focus has 8000 miles on it. I take care of my cars. Face it you need a car to get you back in forth to work. while i was driving my foucus started making this popping sound? Then it sounded like the front drive train was going to fall out from under the car so i pulled over to check it out an the engine was viberating the hole car. took it to the shop to find out both motor mounts had broken. besides that its been a good little car.