Used 2008 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Reliable with minor issues
By willt5

2008 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Focus because it was affordable and was known for being reliable. So far my experience with the car has been good. I've owned it for about a year and a half and so far have changed the notoriously bad motor mounts and sway bar links. Other repairs that will be needed in the future are the control arms due to the bushings going bad. Car only has 65,000 miles on it and basic parts are starting to wear. Otherwise, it has been fairly cheap to maintain and reliable.

Focus legacy
By carguy1654

2008 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my 2008 focus SE last summer. It has been so great! 40 miles to the gallon is a plus. It is actually my 2nd focus my first being a 2000. I put 200k on my 2000 and so far 20k on my 2008. Defiantly a HUGE step up. Way better horse power and very peppy style. I would not be afraid to drive either of them across the country tomorrow. Best compact car on the market. Never had a problem with any of my focus's. In a few more years I will be looking forward to buying a next generation focus

40+ mpg, heat mirrors, chrome package, sync

Nothing at all

very happy with my car , so far
By oneoleqt

2008 Ford Focus SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

bought my 2008 ford focus used , replaced a 200 ZX3 that was written off by insurance company . while its not a sports car it does very well in both city and highway driving . over all the car is very comfortable and quiet . the sync system is relatively easy to use but does have some weird things about it , when i use iPod connection and drive to destination and turn off car , upon restarting the sync does not recognize iPod and have to scroll through menu to get it back . sometimes refuses to reconnect . i wish there was a trunk release button in the cabin other than using just the key and the remote fob . but other than that very pleased with it .

having the SES model , i have all the creature comforts electric seats sunroof auto dimming mirror and lights . sync system 6 disc XM power everything . the one thing my car didn't come with which thought was strange was the leather seats , i am actually glad it doesn't have them being i live in california and getting into a hot car with shorts on is very hot . i would have to say that the AC is my favorite feature in this car . even when its 120 outside and the cars been sitting in the sun it cools off very fast . we have a few fords in our family and aways have thought fords have very good and strong air conditioning .

Very Good Compact Car
By jklag11

2008 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have had my 2008 Focus since 2009 and 9,000 miles. Have about 45,000 miles on it now and am very happy with the car. Provides a nice balance of a soft, quiet ride, and decent handling. I get about 29 mpg on my commute in heavy city driving. On highway trips, have gotten as good as 45 mpg. Sync system is easy to use and links my phone and iPod without problems. Trunk is very good size for a compact car with a nice, wide opening. Would definitely recommend.

Smooth, quiet ride. Sync system works well and is easy to use. Good trunk size. Excellent fuel economy. Good reliability.

Somewhat narrow cockpit - I'm 5'10" but with broad shoulders and my elbow is generally pushed against the door when I drive. Somewhat restricted visibility for parking.

Good commuter/family car
By sirhawkeye

2008 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 2008, and 2010 and a 2012 Focus thus far (as of this writing), and I think the 2008 and 2010 are the best of them all. It's not the sportiest car out there, and the dash in the 2008-2011 models looks a little dated) but they are reliable, get good gas mileage, and are safe cars (found out in my 2010 unfortunately). Sync is easier to use in this area (2008-11) than in newer version of the Focus. The 2008-2011 is a good move in the right direction for Ford, especially with the previous generations (2000-04 especially) having issues. I had no problems with either the 2008 or 2010, and I put about 40k on both.

Fun to drive, very good power-to-weight ratio, safe, excellent gas mileage (especially on the highway). Good price point (very affordable, safe car for many people).

* I really disliked the design of the guages (how the numbers "wrapped" around the center of each guage... looked odd). * Shift indicator on the dash somewhere would be nice so you don't have to look down to see what gear you're in (if you're moving between park, neutral, and drive). * Make cruise control, ABS and power windows standard on all models (ABS is standard on all Focuses since about 2010, but not on the 2008).