Used 2007 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 59 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2007 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Great Little Workhorse of a Car
By G.C. Cantor

2007 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My parents purchased this car new in 2007 for about $17,500. I received it from them in February 2013 w/18,400 miles on it. Today it has just under 50,000 miles. I can't say enough good things about it. The interior headroom is excellent as are the sight lines based on the fact that the front seats are mounted on an elevated platform, unlike the newer Focus model, whose seats are mounted very low. I must transport my elderly mother to frequent doctor appointments and she has no difficulty getting in or out of the car. The car accelerates well, particularly on freeway ramps and corners remarkably well for a smaller vehicle. Gas mileage could be a little better, but I probably average 26-27 mpg in city and 30 or so on the highway. Still operating with its original belts and hoses. I particularly love the hatch and the voluminous trunk storage, which has more cubic feet than on many larger models. Some rattles and noises, particularly when the weather is cold, but nothing major. The heated seats are wonderful during the long Ohio winters as are the heated mirrors. In short, a great car for little money.

Not to be overlooked.
By Andrew Parkhurst

2007 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is best understood in context. I bought it new in December of 2006 for around $15k. Hondas and Nissans from 4 years prior were going for $18k. It is an excellent deal for what you get, and I think that too many people dismissed it because it was an older design. Ford introduced the Focus around 2000, but that means by the time you they produced the 2007 model year most of the bugs were worked out. Remember this was an award winning car for many years until it started getting a little long in the tooth.

I have had few problems in 115k miles. Little things do come up every now and then, but it sure beats having to drive a Corolla. The alternator went out at around 70k, but that is not necessarily Ford's fault. The cruise control stopped working at 60k, got a cable replaced and it is as good as new. One problem these cars have is the clockspring (in the steering wheel, works with the airbag system), which had to be replaced at 75k. There was some carbon buildup in the throttle body at around 50k, but that is more because of my short commute at the time. The radio did stop working a few years ago, so I replaced it with an aftermarket Alpine stereo that sounds a little better, but the stock radio was not bad. Problems are basically electrical in nature, but I have never been stranded and the basic powertrain is simple enough. Simple is good.

The hatchback design is one of a kind, and has actually aged a little better than the sedan. The 5-speed manual has crisp shifts and is well-suited to the 2.0 liter gas engine. It has a fantastically light clutch. 136 hp is not a ton, but it will accelerate just fine and keep up with traffic. The best thing about the Focus is its ride-handling tradeoff. The steering has excellent feel, the ride is never harsh, and it will go right where you point it. Not bad for an economy car. We have a 2013 VW Golf as well. While the Golf is a more mature, heavier feeling car, the Focus is much more playful with no dead spot in the steering and a near perfect driving position. The hatchback is nice to be able to load larger items, has great visibility and the back seat is so much bigger than many of the new compact/midsize cars. The 2012-present Focus is much more cramped inside.

The weakest thing about this car is that it just wasn't screwed together very well on the inside. It rattles, sometimes badly, sometimes not so much, depending on the tire pressure. Sometimes I feel like I have the best car ever--it is quite fun to drive--and sometimes I just want something a little quieter, a little more refined, like a Golf. But then, I get on a back road with the 5-speed and realize that this car is one-of-a-kind and it will be hard to replace when the time eventually comes.

This car had run its course
By Marie

2007 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm driving my dad's old Focus now and hate it. It's not well-made inside and even with a Bluetooth, connectivity is iffy. There is nothing comfortable about it. Now looking for a Mazda or other, newer Ford.

Extremely reliable.
By cdhghs

2007 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Focus brand new in 2006 for business usage.
I drive an average of 10,000+ miles per month, having the oil change every 3,500 mi.
This car has been nothing but reliable for me and my business needs.
I have always been able to count on it to get me from coast to coast.
Minor wear and tear repairs are to be expected, as with any car.
The most costly repair I've had to get was a new fuel pump in the middle of 2010, and of course tires and brakes.
Other than that at 315,000+mi it's time to trade it in for a new Focus.
Thanks Ford!

Simplistic but not overly simplistic. Great stereo for a entry level car.

None that I can think of.

Simply a GREAT car!!!!
By rshipman88

2007 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

To start off I have the 2007 SE 5 speed automatic model. I bought her brand new hot off the lot in June of '07 and I have been happy with it ever since. My car is my life line, with that said my car has NEVER given me a lick of problems and has always gotten at least 25mpg.
All the times me and 4 of my family and friends pile into her and take off for a night out in a downtown location, with the extra weight in stop and go traffic she has made not so much as a squeek. Even the times I got mad at my husband and floored her down the road, not a squeek. When me hubby and i moved from Atlanta to Austin, Texas the storage was very spacious (all of our clothes, and our cat boots) fit.

Storage space (Hatchback!!!), 5 cup holders, She can take a beating ( backed of a ditch and messed up the bottom front drivers side behind the front left wheel, got it fixed of course, and got rear ended going 30 and it didnt even lose the bumber, just looked like some scratches and the foam did not break!!!), Can fit 5 grown people and all of their stuff without an issue. AC is awesome (keep in mind i live in Texas). Stock sound system is nice ( although no input jack for ipod, but the radio always gets great reception, and 6 CD changer is nice). The rims are nice 17 spoke alloy. The engine runs very smoothly (at 60,000 miles) alond with the transmission is smooth. GREAT CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just an aux input jack for ipods. That is all