Used 2006 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

FordMan
By southbender

2006 Ford Focus ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have had since 2/06. Had issues with the tailgate immediately, and the backseats needed adjusting, they wouldn't relatch first time folded down. Drivers door needed to be reset also right after purchase. Hatchback door key mechanism fell out, my spouse noticed and picked up a small key cover. Have driven from Northern IN, to Boise, Phoenix, and Nashville. Cruises at 70mph no problems. Great gas mileage. Good pick up and go in traffic. Tight steering. Great car for the money.

Favorite Features

Stereo system and CD player and automatically adjusts w/engine noise. Great tilt and telescoping steering wheel. Firm comfortable seats. Great headroom for small car. Surprisingly has a great amount of cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise is excessive. Needs to have luggage rack. Too bad Ford quit making the zx5 and wagons,,,will not be buying the 4dr sedan. Will have to go for an import of some sort.

Excellent Choice
By Timothyc1984

2006 Ford Focus ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car has been an excellent traveling car. During the summer I drive it more then in the winter but that's because I have a 4x4 80's Toyota for the ice. The gas mileage is good, 26 in the city, 35 on the highway for the most part. It has great acceleration for a 4cyl on an automatic and it is very fun to drive. I did replace the radio in favor of one that has full iPod capability in summer 2008.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, suspension, factory choice of tires for 2006, fold-down back seats for a huge trunk in a small car.

Suggested Improvements

A tad more leg room would have been nice (I'm 6'3) and maybe the materials the seats be a little more big person friendly.

Very Fun, Great Buy
By TB765

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 06 Focus SE sedan brand new and the car has never disappointed. The engine is very peppy and have great all around pickup and performance and it makes a great sound. Gas mileage is alright. i get between 28-32 mpg in normal driving. This car is probably the best handling, most fun to drive small car on the market. You can throw the tightest bend at it and you can take it very fast, and with absolutely no drama at all. Yes, the a/c compressor shuts off during acceleration, but it turns right back on so i dont really mind. The only bad things about this car is the quality of the interior and it hydroplanes sometimes in heavy rain. The finish on the radio is coming off in places.

Favorite Features

Off the line acceleration, great fun to drive, humongous trunk, pretty well built (better than a Cobalt or Caliber, definitely), quite comfortable on long drives. Very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Quieter turn sigals, need to improve the interior and gas mileage, and better quality stereo system.

I love this car!
By Tanya

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So, I've been driving my Focus for about a week. I did a lot of research beforehand and got a good deal for a low mileage car at a local dealership. I am surprised that the engine has enough power to overcome the steep hills here (I live in the mtns) at a decent speed. That was a factor I considered before purchasing, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. It runs well, although I a little loud and it's very fun to drive as well as comfortable. It seems to get pretty good gas mileage, which was one of my reasons for buying it, but I'm still keeping track of how it's going. The gas tank seems to be pretty small, but I downsized from an SUV, so there are a lot changes in that area.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive and overall impressed with the quality for such a good price.

Suggested Improvements

The visors are really cheap and flimsy and don't fit in with the rest of the car. Other people complained about the AC compressor turning off when accelerating, but that doesn't bother me as it gives me more power when I'm going up hills.

Good car, good price
By jacob

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in December of 2006, and after previously owning a Mustang I thought it would be less fun to drive, but I really like it. It gets great gas mileage about 25 city/37highway. It is also great for long distance road trips and after having it for 1 1/2 years now I haven't had any problems at all. The car is fun to drive and a great commuter for anybody.

Favorite Features

The roomy interior and the cheap price of ownership

Suggested Improvements

Make the turn signals not so noisy