Used 2006 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

2 month review
By Biker8

2006 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car for work/commute 2 months ago as gas prices were just eating me alive. Drive about 30k/yr. After ablut 5k mi, I've had no issues. The car has 29k mi. I do have a wheel bearing noise in front otherwise, everything else works fine. I'm actually surprised how comfortable the car rides. Performance is reasonable. Car looks somewhat cheap inside however, it's not an expensive car. For the money, it's much less expensive than it's Japenese counterparts & much better than it's American counterparts. Overall, for the money I definintely buy another Focus. By the way, I'm getting over 30 mpg combined. I am however, conscious about how I drive it.

Favorite Features

Comfort for its size, trunk space, performance, & gas mileage for what it is.

Suggested Improvements

Interior looks cheaper, doors sound cheap when closing. It's an inexpensive car though. I paid 6500 so overall I would say this is a great car for the money!

Fuel economy disappointing
By Don

2006 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Like the car overall except the city fuel mileage stinks. Not using the A/C 21 is tops and in heat of summer using the A/C anywhere from 16-18 mpg. Have gotten 32 on highway, but seldom take trips so mostly the mileage is bad. Also has annoying "feature" when accelerating the A/C compressor shuts down momentarily (Ford claims this is normal for performance reasons which is nothing but a crock.). This is annoying when it's 110 or more outside in this stinking Arizona desert heat. Like 99% of the newer cars today, the design is rather ugly. Small wonder I drool over the classic car shows and their displays. I think Ford needs to make 4 cyl. cars that give decent mileage.

Favorite Features

Performance is good for a 4 cylinder automatic. Fun to drive and reasonably comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate cutting out of A/C compressor upon acceleration and improve in town fuel mileage.

Still makes me smile
By GK

2006 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Focus ZX4 ST for almost 2 years now, and I still really have no complaints. My parking brake relase button cracked, but was replaced no problem under warranty. Many people seem to think the A/C shutoff under acceleration is a huge deal. I lived in Las Vegas for the majority of the time I have had this car, and it was not a big deal. Most people just need to not accelerate so much. MPG varies, but can easily achieve 27 city mpg in FL, and have achieved as high as 34mpg highway. It's really a good buy. The car is kind of a sleeper. Drive it normal or give it hell and it will respond. Very fun to drive. Too bad they got rid of the ST option and the 2.3 I4..

Favorite Features

5-speed, stereo, seats, wheels.Very good car for the price.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are just in the wrong place for driver/passenger. Still usable, you just have to be creative. Steering wheel is ugly but car is definitely worth the buy

Focus Follow-up
By Focus follow-up

2006 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After having the car a little over 1 1/2 months, 3000 miles and in the Texas heat of 95 deg here are my observations: 1) the A/C interuption during accellerations is annoying, especially if you just got in the car and it is not already pre cooled. 2) gas mileage averages 28-29.5 mpg with 50/50 driving type. More if A/C not used. 3) all else I'm pretty happy with so far. The A/C deal was not a make or break for me when I was deciding whether to buy or not. The many other advantages out weigh this flaw.

Convinced, happy owner
By dimes4slim

2006 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Being that our other cars are luxury or sport vehicles, I wasn't sure how I would adapt to my new commuter car. Two and a half years into my ownership, I have had zero problems. The Focus is reliable, very comfortable, handles well and gets a consistent 28 mpg in normal driving. It may not have been so fashionable when I bought it, but now that gas is $4+ per gallon, it is the envy of all of many SUV owners. The seats are great on long trips, and the 5 speed manual puts a smile on my face. With the rear seats folded down, there is a credible amount of hauling space. Simple, sporty, reliable, and economical, with great handling as a bonus. I'm convinced that the Focus was a wise choice.

Favorite Features

Super optional Sony sound system with subwoofer in trunk. Second, the precise handling and confidence of the 4 wheel ABS disc brakes.

Suggested Improvements

For what it is, I think they have done a great job for the price.