Used 2006 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Functional, reliable, and fuel efficient
By Mike in NH

2006 Ford Focus ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Focus for a year and have had no problems. I love the room it has in back. It was the only hatch that could swallow my goalie equipment without having to fold the seat down. I check my mileage every fill-up and have never been below 27 and highest was 34mpg. Typically 28-29 in mostly short trip driving, no highway (but not really stop and go either) The ride feels a bit like a Jetta, which is a compliment-- great handling, nicely tuned suspension. However, much less expensive and Ford reliability is outstanding these days.

The hatch is the way to go with the Focus (and they don't make 'em anymore). Nice stereo, intuitive controls, reliable and fuel efficient. Timing chain instead of a timing belt.

Bring the hatch back (!) with a better split seating option-- and with the current European design.

many problems
By mtcilley

2006 Ford Focus ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

purchesed new 3/2006 NOT SAFE AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS IN SNOW!! THE REAR END WILL SPIN AROUND CAUSING TOTAL LOSS OF CONTROLL! wthn 2wks wiper motor burned out. found recall for same problem on other focus models but not specific to my mine -- ford will not respond, cost me $2oo bucks. rear plate lights, tail lights, rear turn signal lights started blowing bulbs then fuses and all lights except headlamps were out also the rear hatch door would pop open when ignition was turned on. found that wiring harness for rear hatch door had all wires broken. again found recall for same problem on other focus models but not specific to mine--again ford will not respond. spliced wires back together myself.

NONE - WILL NEVER BUY OR RECOMEND ANOTHER FORD PRODUCT!!

SCRAP IT AND START OVER.

F for Ford and rear brake squeal
By Fordratesan F

2006 Ford Focus ZX3 SES 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Rear brake squeal is a major problem with these Ford Focus for a number of model years and Ford refuses to fix or acknowlege the issue except for a few. We bought 3 of these and have the same problem on all. After about 2 years the rear brake squeal is so loud it is deafening. The dealship has not been able to fix the problem and we have spent a lot of money on them. Ford tells us we are just out of luck. Buyer beware.

NONE

Buy for target practice only

Great for school parking lots
By Brent

2006 Ford Focus ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car with with 54k miles on in February 09 and I drive it to school everyday, I love how it just turns easily and can fit into small spaces that big vehicles cant. Great first time car.

The acceleration has a lot of get-up and the seats are very comfy.

It makes some odd noises, like squeaky brakes, but its tolerable, cup holders are in odd spots though.

Gave American Autos a Chance
By Mike

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I decided to give American made vehicles another shot at my business. Ford did not fail me. I have owned my Focus for 3 years and haven't had any mechanical or interior defects. The car looks and drives as well as it did the day I drove it off the lot. I had to get back on Edmunds and let anyone that could or would read this that my Ford experience has been fantastic. I am so pleased that I have found an American auto maker that is building a quality vehicle.

Exterior and interior colors. Steering wheel leather and thick. Wheels and premium tires (Pirelli) very nice. Sound system is great for a low end vehicle. Safety equipment side air bags, anti lock brakes. Fog lights.

Well they have already done it... the body style needed to be rounded out and the new Focus accomplishes that. The seats could be a little more padded but about what one would expect from the lower priced model.

• SUV