2006 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews 5

2006 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
2 month review
By Biker8 on 08/10/08 17:10 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car for work/commute 2 months ago as gas prices were just eating me alive. Drive about 30k/yr. After ablut 5k mi, I've had no issues. The car has 29k mi. I do have a wheel bearing noise in front otherwise, everything else works fine. I'm actually surprised how comfortable the car rides. Performance is reasonable. Car looks somewhat cheap inside however, it's not an expensive car. For the money, it's much less expensive than it's Japenese counterparts & much better than it's American counterparts. Overall, for the money I definintely buy another Focus. By the way, I'm getting over 30 mpg combined. I am however, conscious about how I drive it.

Fuel economy disappointing
By Don on 07/23/08 14:43 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Like the car overall except the city fuel mileage stinks. Not using the A/C 21 is tops and in heat of summer using the A/C anywhere from 16-18 mpg. Have gotten 32 on highway, but seldom take trips so mostly the mileage is bad. Also has annoying "feature" when accelerating the A/C compressor shuts down momentarily (Ford claims this is normal for performance reasons which is nothing but a crock.). This is annoying when it's 110 or more outside in this stinking Arizona desert heat. Like 99% of the newer cars today, the design is rather ugly. Small wonder I drool over the classic car shows and their displays. I think Ford needs to make 4 cyl. cars that give decent mileage.

Still makes me smile
By GK on 06/30/08 19:34 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Focus ZX4 ST for almost 2 years now, and I still really have no complaints. My parking brake relase button cracked, but was replaced no problem under warranty. Many people seem to think the A/C shutoff under acceleration is a huge deal. I lived in Las Vegas for the majority of the time I have had this car, and it was not a big deal. Most people just need to not accelerate so much. MPG varies, but can easily achieve 27 city mpg in FL, and have achieved as high as 34mpg highway. It's really a good buy. The car is kind of a sleeper. Drive it normal or give it hell and it will respond. Very fun to drive. Too bad they got rid of the ST option and the 2.3 I4..

Focus Follow-up
By Focus follow-up on 06/13/08 11:36 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After having the car a little over 1 1/2 months, 3000 miles and in the Texas heat of 95 deg here are my observations: 1) the A/C interuption during accellerations is annoying, especially if you just got in the car and it is not already pre cooled. 2) gas mileage averages 28-29.5 mpg with 50/50 driving type. More if A/C not used. 3) all else I'm pretty happy with so far. The A/C deal was not a make or break for me when I was deciding whether to buy or not. The many other advantages out weigh this flaw.

Convinced, happy owner
By dimes4slim on 06/08/08 13:36 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Being that our other cars are luxury or sport vehicles, I wasn't sure how I would adapt to my new commuter car. Two and a half years into my ownership, I have had zero problems. The Focus is reliable, very comfortable, handles well and gets a consistent 28 mpg in normal driving. It may not have been so fashionable when I bought it, but now that gas is $4+ per gallon, it is the envy of all of many SUV owners. The seats are great on long trips, and the 5 speed manual puts a smile on my face. With the rear seats folded down, there is a credible amount of hauling space. Simple, sporty, reliable, and economical, with great handling as a bonus. I'm convinced that the Focus was a wise choice.

06 Focus S Sedan
By sk69 on 05/26/08 17:24 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have a Focus S Sedan (auto, a/c) since early 2006. Car is lots of fun to drive due to great handling and responsive engine. Had it at the dealership once for squeaking noise (parking brake cables), which got fixed on warranty. Fuel economy is bad for a car this size (approx. 60% city/40% hwy in New England: get 19-20 mpg in winter, 22-24 mpg in summer). Car is starting to rust now (many small spots doors, door frames).

Herman
By hatin11r on 05/15/08 09:11 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

With the price of gas going through the roof, I found this car with 5400 mi. and still under warranty. It really did belong to a"little old man who just drove it on errands". After reading all the reviews I decided to buy this car. So far I am more than satisfied. With a 50/50 even split of hwy.and local, I am getting 29 mpg.with a hwy speed of approx.65 mph. I have noticed the a/c interuption during rapid acceleration as previously stated. I even did this during the test drive to see if this was a big issue. Even though I live in the TX heat, I don't feel this will be a problem. Time will tell.

Would Buy Again
By ralphaw on 04/25/08 11:34 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been pleased with both performance and reliability of this car, especially the gas mileage. My job requires a lot of driving so comfort is a big plus. The seating height is also appreciated compared to other compacts I have been in.

Never Again
By Theresa Bradburn on 04/19/08 08:23 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I will never buy another one of these. We got it because my husband needed something reliable to drive to a not so good neighborhood for work. Over the last two years the brakes have just fell apart. The door handles stick like no tomorrow, and the fuel mileage is awful. It was also at ford for three days with some started problem that we never did figure out for sure. Just that after six changed parts it quit doing it. So like I said never again.

Unsafe
By Dorf on 02/15/08 09:33 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely loved driving this vehicle. The quick acceleration, smooth ride, and exceptional sound system made my hour long commute to work enjoyable. Unfortunately, the car was totaled when I hydroplaned in a heavy storm and went off the road. My concern is that the air bag did not deploy. I dropped six feet off the road and slammed into a group of trees at approximately 45 mph. The engine was pushed up off the engine block, both tires were out of the wheel wells, and the hood nearly crashed through the windshield. The crumple zones worked as designed, but I seriously question the alignment of the impact points in this vehicle. Current owners, please have your air bags checked!