Used 2006 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Great Little Car
By jpeters

2006 Ford Focus ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased brand new in March '06. Coming up on 4 years and 108,000 miles and not a single issue. Have done regular oil changes every 5,000 miles and am on my third set of tires, have replaced one rear light at about 80,000 miles. Thats it for maintanence. Fun to drive, great gas mileage, practically maintenance free. Good acceleration and handling, passing is a breeze. Only complaints are engine noise at about 62 mph but only at that particular speed, not higher or lower. Not comfortable on long drives, say over about 3 or 4 hours, definite booty pain. Has been a fun and faithful little car. Love it!

Favorite Features

Styling, handleing, fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Make the cab quieter, more cushion on the seats.

Problems
By April

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used a year and a half ago, because I was going through a divorce and need something that wasn't a gas guzzler and compact. Since the purchase it has needed a new transmission, a new fly wheel and I just replaced the starter. When I bought it the back passenger side strut was already squeaking (and still does). Luckily the transmission and fly wheel were covered by the warranty. However, it cost me $460 to replace the starter. I know there is up keep in buying a car but geez...

Favorite Features

color

Suggested Improvements

Use better parts and be more careful in assembling...

06 Focus SES ZX5 AT
By Sgeur67

2006 Ford Focus ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my Focus SES ZX5 new. Love it. getting 25mpg city/30mpg hwy at 70mph. Original Pirelli P6's were super noisy, replaced them after 400 miles with Goodrich TA radials. Quieter than the P6's and far far better traction in snow. After 54K mi brakes are still great, no noise, no squeaks, no dust and still now wore out. AC is always cold when you really need good and cold. This car has all the power you need for every day commuting and quite comfortable on 4hr trip too. I would buy another 4dr hatch if Ford made it. Great little car.

Favorite Features

Theres more room in front seats thanks to not having a great big center console. I like the way the small storage compartments flips out of the way when not needed.

Suggested Improvements

Less hard plastic around the inside. Add more "useful" storage bins and cubbies.

Liked the car; Didn't like the repairs
By Holly

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drove my Focus for just shy of three years when it met a premature death in an accident about a month ago. Honestly, I liked the look of my car and had a lot of fun with it. Unfortunately, my transmission failed at 37,000 miles just beyond the when the factory warrenty expired requiring a rebuild. Two months after the the transmission fiasco, the front driver's side wheel bearing woreout. Also, the CD player was rather tempermental. It only worked when the temperature outside ranged from 60-80 degrees. I'm not very sure what that issue pertained to as it seemed to be a luxury concern compared to the other required repairs to a new college grad with student loans!

Favorite Features

LOVE the trunk space! Gas mileage is pretty good as well.

Suggested Improvements

Too many costly repairs for a car with less than 50,000 miles on it.

A great American Car!
By Focus

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my focus I purchased it used with only 6k on and in 1st year I put on 35K. Great fuel economy I am getting city/hwy combined milage of 35MPG I am not driving like a a snail. I like that it is a PZEV partial zero emission vehicle. It took Honda and Toyota 1 to 2 years to bring the PZEV to market. The Focus has been PZEV since 2005 here in CA.. The 2.0 PZEV motor is a terrific motor, I have had zero problems.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature are the radio controls on the left just behind the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

cup holder plastic liners to come out so easliy when a mug or large cup is placed in them.