Used 2006 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Still Enjoying
By Tia

2006 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was given this car in 12/06 and have had very few issues with it. When I bought the car with 16k there was a slight squeak in rear when I went over bad potholes, and the dealer fixed that. Now, with 55k i am noticing that noise every once in a while again. I have had no other problems with this car that needed to be fixed. I live in Indiana and haven't noticed the issue with the A/C that other people have mentioned. I'm not sure if it's the way I drive or my car, but I do not get anywhere near 30 mpg. I dont check it very often but I think I average around 22-25 mpg. The paint on the radio is wearing off a bit. Only complaint is that although the trunk is pretty big, the opening is not!!

Favorite Features

The removable cup holders for easy cleaning. Extra cup holders in front doors.

Suggested Improvements

Center counsel is not a solid piece, it "hangs" over the emergency brake. Mine is still perfect but I'm worried my dog will eventually brake it. backseat is spacious, but NO actual leg room. make opening to the trunk wider.

Problems
By April

2006 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used a year and a half ago, because I was going through a divorce and need something that wasn't a gas guzzler and compact. Since the purchase it has needed a new transmission, a new fly wheel and I just replaced the starter. When I bought it the back passenger side strut was already squeaking (and still does). Luckily the transmission and fly wheel were covered by the warranty. However, it cost me $460 to replace the starter. I know there is up keep in buying a car but geez...

Favorite Features

color

Suggested Improvements

Use better parts and be more careful in assembling...

Liked the car; Didn't like the repairs
By Holly

2006 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drove my Focus for just shy of three years when it met a premature death in an accident about a month ago. Honestly, I liked the look of my car and had a lot of fun with it. Unfortunately, my transmission failed at 37,000 miles just beyond the when the factory warrenty expired requiring a rebuild. Two months after the the transmission fiasco, the front driver's side wheel bearing woreout. Also, the CD player was rather tempermental. It only worked when the temperature outside ranged from 60-80 degrees. I'm not very sure what that issue pertained to as it seemed to be a luxury concern compared to the other required repairs to a new college grad with student loans!

Favorite Features

LOVE the trunk space! Gas mileage is pretty good as well.

Suggested Improvements

Too many costly repairs for a car with less than 50,000 miles on it.

A great American Car!
By Focus

2006 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my focus I purchased it used with only 6k on and in 1st year I put on 35K. Great fuel economy I am getting city/hwy combined milage of 35MPG I am not driving like a a snail. I like that it is a PZEV partial zero emission vehicle. It took Honda and Toyota 1 to 2 years to bring the PZEV to market. The Focus has been PZEV since 2005 here in CA.. The 2.0 PZEV motor is a terrific motor, I have had zero problems.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature are the radio controls on the left just behind the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

cup holder plastic liners to come out so easliy when a mug or large cup is placed in them.

you get what you pay for
By Yoon

2006 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i bought this car after researching for several months. Car and Driver ranked the 1st generation focus as a "ten best car" and consumer reports gave the focus high marks. after 58,000, the AC went out due to a bad compressor. that was a $1300 bill. up until then, i had no problems except normal wear and tear (i'm still on original brake pads and rotors). the car is not as refined as a civic, corolla, or mazda3. it's more fun to drive than a corolla, but a corolla has better fit and finish. overall, this car is fun, but rough around the edges. wish gas mileage was better. i get 25 mpg with lead foot.

Favorite Features

"european" suspension--car is fun to drive as a result.

Suggested Improvements

better fit and finish, better mileage. interior plastics look cheap.