Used 2006 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Ford Focus Superstar
By jezmanuk

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SES 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my '06 Focus new. Wanted Grey, hatchback, Stick, shopped around and got a 3 door SES with leather moon roof and winter package for $14000. I have had ZERO problems with it for 26000 miles, service has been excellent from dealer (even replaced a wheel with a good used one for free when I kerbed mine). The car is fun to drive, very reliable (Consumer reports rates it with Civic and Corolla), looks good and I have had a very stress free ownership. The Original Pirelli P6's (unusual size205/50 ZR16) weren't great and had lots of road noise. I changed all 4 due to a sidewall puncture @ 24K miles for BF Goodrich G-Force Sport which are much quieter and have much better dry traction

Favorite Features

Price & Handling, the car is fun to drive and has plenty of power for it's size. Winter package in Seattle is great with heated seats and mirrors. Ergonomics are great too especially with steering mounted audio and cruise control. Car holds lots with seats down. Drives better than all the competitio

Suggested Improvements

ABS should be standard ( it is on all European cars!), side airbags should also be standard and not an option. The gear knob painted finish chipped off and it would be nice to have more aftermarket parts for interior and exterior. Original Pirelli P6's lots of road noise!! (Ford now has Kumho's)

my first and only ford
By wade

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 S 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car pre owned it had 43,000 k on it in the last 6 months I had the (wheel bearings, oxygen sensor, and heated seats replaced) I, m having trouble with the heater controls, the gas peddle sticks when its cold out and now the radio isn't working which is going to cost $700.00 to replace. The car isn't good in the snow and there, s a lot of road and wind noise.

Favorite Features

none will not buy or recommend to anyone

Suggested Improvements

offer a better warranty

Functional, reliable, and fuel efficient
By Mike in NH

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Focus for a year and have had no problems. I love the room it has in back. It was the only hatch that could swallow my goalie equipment without having to fold the seat down. I check my mileage every fill-up and have never been below 27 and highest was 34mpg. Typically 28-29 in mostly short trip driving, no highway (but not really stop and go either) The ride feels a bit like a Jetta, which is a compliment-- great handling, nicely tuned suspension. However, much less expensive and Ford reliability is outstanding these days.

Favorite Features

The hatch is the way to go with the Focus (and they don't make 'em anymore). Nice stereo, intuitive controls, reliable and fuel efficient. Timing chain instead of a timing belt.

Suggested Improvements

Bring the hatch back (!) with a better split seating option-- and with the current European design.

many problems
By mtcilley

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

purchesed new 3/2006 NOT SAFE AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS IN SNOW!! THE REAR END WILL SPIN AROUND CAUSING TOTAL LOSS OF CONTROLL! wthn 2wks wiper motor burned out. found recall for same problem on other focus models but not specific to my mine -- ford will not respond, cost me $2oo bucks. rear plate lights, tail lights, rear turn signal lights started blowing bulbs then fuses and all lights except headlamps were out also the rear hatch door would pop open when ignition was turned on. found that wiring harness for rear hatch door had all wires broken. again found recall for same problem on other focus models but not specific to mine--again ford will not respond. spliced wires back together myself.

Favorite Features

NONE - WILL NEVER BUY OR RECOMEND ANOTHER FORD PRODUCT!!

Suggested Improvements

SCRAP IT AND START OVER.

F for Ford and rear brake squeal
By Fordratesan F

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SES 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Rear brake squeal is a major problem with these Ford Focus for a number of model years and Ford refuses to fix or acknowlege the issue except for a few. We bought 3 of these and have the same problem on all. After about 2 years the rear brake squeal is so loud it is deafening. The dealship has not been able to fix the problem and we have spent a lot of money on them. Ford tells us we are just out of luck. Buyer beware.

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

Buy for target practice only