Used 2006 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

No Mo Fo Mo Co
By NoMoFoMoCo

2006 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife drove this car home from the dealership. By the time she got home, it had 11 miles on it. The trunk would not latch (returned it for service). Week 2, the driver side door would not close. Month 2, the remote stopped unlocking the doors. Month 3, the trunk flew open while we were driving with our dog in the back. We keep the doors shut with tie downs. The car is 6 months old, 5,000 miles and right now it's stuck in my driveway and I am missing work (again). This is our 13th Ford over 20 years and unless Ford takes it back at their expense, we will be switching to one of the other big 3.

Favorite Features

It appears to be water tight so as soon as we get it up on cinderblocks, we can use it for storage and use the tires for planter boxes.

Suggested Improvements

Either make doors that open and close or take the glass out of the windows and paint it like the General Lee.

Very Impressed! Really like it!
By Grant

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car two days, and I'm so impressed. It has solid power through all gears, good exhaust tone, and has a great overall feel. Filled up after burning a 1/4 tank just to see what my mpg was, and was impressed with 26 mpg for city driving. Seats have good side bolster, trunk is quite big for car. Wish the cup holders were arranged differently, but don't let that discourage you from buying. You can get a fully loaded Focus ST, way cheaper than a loaded Civic. I have caught a lot of heck for getting a Focus, but after most people see the car they are quite impressed, and say "not bad"

Favorite Features

Sporty feel, very fun to drive, 6 disc changer, sunroof, good gauge cluster set up. Fog lamps, and spoiler add a nice touch!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder arrangement, center console.

Great Car
By Raymond

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have several types of vehicles in the past, but have found the Ford Focus 2006 is the best I have owed so far.

Favorite Features

Handling, speed, gas mileage and sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Better sound proofing from outside noise.

Focus delivers the goods where it counts
By William E. Irving

2006 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a car with 4 cylinders and a 5-speed to replace my aging 6-cylinder auto '99 Jetta. Jetta still beautiful and a joy to drive, but neither very economical nor particularly reliable. Always liked styling of the Focus, so I thought I would try it, after 25 years of VWs. Don't know what all the carping about build quality is about. Paint is deep and lustrous, body panels fit, feels tight and solid on the road - no rattles or squeaks. Interior not as pretty as Jetta, but is functional, sturdy and comfortable. Engine torquey with smooth power delivery. Focus weighs 500 lbs less than Jetta, so power deficit not a big deal. Moreover, car has been very reliable - old Foci I've seen hold up well.

Favorite Features

Like tall Euro driving position, supportive well-formed seats, great steering feel with outstanding leather-covered wheel, neutral handling, smooth ride, slick shifter. Very nice Pirelli tires. Top-end audio system is outstanding in a car this cheap. Low on glamor, very high in driving pleasure.

Suggested Improvements

Rear headrests! Anti-lock brakes and side-curtain airbags STANDARD! ALL windows should have one-touch up AND down. Neat VW feature: windows and moonroof work for 10 minutes after engine shutoff and can be closed from outside the car. 2.3L engine STANDARD! Nicer plastics inside. Standard iPod plug in.

Broken after only 3800 miles
By Ginger

2006 Ford Focus ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have enjoyed driving my car and it gets really good fuel mileage, but I went to get the windows tinted and the auto man showed me where there were screws missing from the doors. Then after owning the car for 3.5 months the starter goes bad, which dealer did fix.

Favorite Features

Leather, cruise, overall handling.

Suggested Improvements

Screws to be added when putting car together.