Used 2006 Ford Focus Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Focus Wagon

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

2006 Focus SES Wagon Automatic - Bought new, now 5 years old
By jmiller38

2006 Ford Focus Wagon ZXW SES 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The first 2 years gave me very satisfactory service, and then things went from good to not so good. Had to have a new transmission around 34000 miles (under warranty). Headlights needed replacing at 3 years. Trim clips are lousy. Starter battery died; needed new fuel line and now the alternator went out ($700). Bumper crumples and quite costly to repair. Plastic gears for the arm rest break easily. Costs $500 to replace. Have had all my service done on schedule by Ford and do get good mileage. Bought for safety considerations. My car has had more problems than my friend's 2006 Focus hatchback. I'm wondering when the brakes and/or exhaust will go. Considered contacting Ford directly.

Favorite Features

Mileage is good. Appearance is nice. Paint has held up beautifully.

Suggested Improvements

Too much plastic in high stress areas. Too many electrical issues. What's with the automatic transmission dying so soon?

Ford Focus met our needs
By J.L.Thomas Jr.

2006 Ford Focus Wagon ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Ford Focus wagon is a comfortable as well as economical car to drive. We have 3 dogs that we like to travel with and this wagon handled all the dogs as well as a luggage rack on its roof. This allowed for the family to travel safely as well as comfortably. We weren't certain at first if this 4 cylinder engine would have the power to haul all of us everywhere but it sure has; we are pleased. We weren't happy with the limited choices of paint colors offered. The rear floor of the cargo area should have been a little more than a thin sheet of plywood with a layer of carpet. Over all we are pleased with our purchase and the reasonable price we paid. We'd purchase this car again in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

Very roomy for any 4 cylinder car.

Suggested Improvements

When putting rear seat down to increase cargo area, there needs to be a better design so rear seat lays flat.

Good, but...
By economicat

2006 Ford Focus Wagon ZXW SES 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a very useful family car. We chose a wagon instead of an SUV so my small kids could get in and out easily on their own. The problem is that there are no rear headrests, so my children (4 & 8) will soon outgrow this car and we will have to replace it. The heated mirrors and seats work great and the care gets decent mileage. It will make strange noises if gas falls below a quarter tank, so beware. Sometimes the start is a little jumpy, but not really that bad. Fully loaded, it is an affordable alternative to the $35K+ we would have spent on another wagon, with as much rear room as a midsize SUV.

Favorite Features

Moonroof; heated seats and mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

Add headrests in back seats; allow rear bench cushion to split; more cupholders in back

Kudos for Ford
By Nookarr Beier

2006 Ford Focus Wagon ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Being thrifty and practical, I researched extensively before buying. The Focus wagon is what I was looking for, and I have been greatly pleased. Averaging 34 mpg (should be 40 in my opinion), lots of cargo space, good comfort features, more power doodads than I care for, comfy seat. I replaced a Corolla wagon with it. While not a Corolla, it's a very good car. I like the ride - suspension carries me across unpaved roads, construction sites, etc. without jarring. I've done high-speed highway driving with passengers as well. No real complaints, but good praise.

Favorite Features

PZEV. The extremely low emissions rating of this car was the clincher. While the hybrids have better fuel economy, their emissions are the same as the Focus sold in the California-compliant states. For the cost difference and practicality, I go with the Focus. Also, comfort, ride, looks.

Suggested Improvements

Rear-view visibility needs improvement. Ford should make this a hybrid. While fuel economy is better than most cars, it should be even better. Driver's window is too high and the plastic is hard - makes it uncomfortable to rest my arm on it. Dome light lingers after shutting the door - annoying.

No Mo Fo Mo Co
By NoMoFoMoCo

2006 Ford Focus Wagon ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife drove this car home from the dealership. By the time she got home, it had 11 miles on it. The trunk would not latch (returned it for service). Week 2, the driver side door would not close. Month 2, the remote stopped unlocking the doors. Month 3, the trunk flew open while we were driving with our dog in the back. We keep the doors shut with tie downs. The car is 6 months old, 5,000 miles and right now it's stuck in my driveway and I am missing work (again). This is our 13th Ford over 20 years and unless Ford takes it back at their expense, we will be switching to one of the other big 3.

Favorite Features

It appears to be water tight so as soon as we get it up on cinderblocks, we can use it for storage and use the tires for planter boxes.

Suggested Improvements

Either make doors that open and close or take the glass out of the windows and paint it like the General Lee.