Used 2006 Ford Focus ZX4 ST Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Focus ST 5spd Still Fun
By Proud Owner

2006 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 2006 4-door Focus ST (5 spd) in Jan, 2009. It had 6.5k mi. Now it has 44k trouble-free miles and continues to be dependable, economical, and fun. Just as tight and fun to drive now as it was 38k miles ago. 25mpg in town, 30-31mpg on highway at 70-80 mph. Has always been a great highway driver, and now with new Continental Extreme Contact DW tires, tracks like a toy slot car on the highway and just as pleasurable in town. Great combination of economy, value, reliability, and fun. Was hit from behind by Corolla while at stop light. Corolla's front end and hood was crumpled and couldn't tell Focus had been hit except for Corolla's paint on rear bumper.

Favorite Features

Tight steering, nice handling, nice manual gear box, good gas mileage, engine provides great punch for a 4cyl, trouble-free, economical to operate and maintain, great highway driver, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

No improvements necessary, considering the economy purchase price. For a more "refined" and/or "luxurious" feel and atmosphere I could have spent thousands more for a TSX or GTI, but having driven them as well I know the increase in driving satisfaction would have been insignificant.

This Car Is a Blast
By Proud new owner

2006 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

In January '09 I found this 4-door ST with manual 5 speed in like new condition with only 6.5k mi. and have been smiling ever since. This car makes me smile every time I fire it up and head out. Very responsive engine with nice low-end torque for a four cylinder, smooth clutch, great taut steering, tight, rigid feeling chassis, and sweet handling make this car a blast to drive. Feels, sounds, and drives European but for $1000's less. So far getting 25mpg around town and have not taken highway trip, yet.

Favorite Features

Sweet engine with nice low-end torque, great tight steering, sweet handling. Simply fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Would be nice if certain non-performance related items such as tinny-sounding door lock mechanism, cheap-feeling interior lighting, and similar items were more upscale sounding/feeling...but, considering the performance value inherent in this car, these items are gladly tolerated.

Still makes me smile
By GK

2006 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Focus ZX4 ST for almost 2 years now, and I still really have no complaints. My parking brake relase button cracked, but was replaced no problem under warranty. Many people seem to think the A/C shutoff under acceleration is a huge deal. I lived in Las Vegas for the majority of the time I have had this car, and it was not a big deal. Most people just need to not accelerate so much. MPG varies, but can easily achieve 27 city mpg in FL, and have achieved as high as 34mpg highway. It's really a good buy. The car is kind of a sleeper. Drive it normal or give it hell and it will respond. Very fun to drive. Too bad they got rid of the ST option and the 2.3 I4..

Favorite Features

5-speed, stereo, seats, wheels.Very good car for the price.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are just in the wrong place for driver/passenger. Still usable, you just have to be creative. Steering wheel is ugly but car is definitely worth the buy

Convinced, happy owner
By dimes4slim

2006 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Being that our other cars are luxury or sport vehicles, I wasn't sure how I would adapt to my new commuter car. Two and a half years into my ownership, I have had zero problems. The Focus is reliable, very comfortable, handles well and gets a consistent 28 mpg in normal driving. It may not have been so fashionable when I bought it, but now that gas is $4+ per gallon, it is the envy of all of many SUV owners. The seats are great on long trips, and the 5 speed manual puts a smile on my face. With the rear seats folded down, there is a credible amount of hauling space. Simple, sporty, reliable, and economical, with great handling as a bonus. I'm convinced that the Focus was a wise choice.

Favorite Features

Super optional Sony sound system with subwoofer in trunk. Second, the precise handling and confidence of the 4 wheel ABS disc brakes.

Suggested Improvements

For what it is, I think they have done a great job for the price.

Unsafe
By Dorf

2006 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely loved driving this vehicle. The quick acceleration, smooth ride, and exceptional sound system made my hour long commute to work enjoyable. Unfortunately, the car was totaled when I hydroplaned in a heavy storm and went off the road. My concern is that the air bag did not deploy. I dropped six feet off the road and slammed into a group of trees at approximately 45 mph. The engine was pushed up off the engine block, both tires were out of the wheel wells, and the hood nearly crashed through the windshield. The crumple zones worked as designed, but I seriously question the alignment of the impact points in this vehicle. Current owners, please have your air bags checked!

Favorite Features

Quick acceleration, 6 CD changer with sub-woofer in trunk, and heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Safety features