Used 2006 Ford Focus ZX5 SE Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Functional, reliable, and fuel efficient
By Mike in NH

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Focus for a year and have had no problems. I love the room it has in back. It was the only hatch that could swallow my goalie equipment without having to fold the seat down. I check my mileage every fill-up and have never been below 27 and highest was 34mpg. Typically 28-29 in mostly short trip driving, no highway (but not really stop and go either) The ride feels a bit like a Jetta, which is a compliment-- great handling, nicely tuned suspension. However, much less expensive and Ford reliability is outstanding these days.

The hatch is the way to go with the Focus (and they don't make 'em anymore). Nice stereo, intuitive controls, reliable and fuel efficient. Timing chain instead of a timing belt.

Bring the hatch back (!) with a better split seating option-- and with the current European design.

Ford Focus - more than you think
By Alex

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Focus is easy to drive, it's powerful (I also own a Mustang but sometimes I am quicker with the Focus) and it's built very reliably. I had no issues whatsover and I drive it in any kind of weather and circumstance.

Engine - powerful and efficient. Automatic transmission - no gaps, no wait for shifting, reacts perfectly to your driving style.

No complaints.

Great car....for the price
By johnnash

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car...for the price. If it cost as much some competitors I'd have trouble recommending it, but you get a LOT for the money here with rebates etc. The ride and handling combination is very good for the class. I like the 5 door hatchback...it is more practical than the 3 door but sportier than the sedan. There is plenty of room up front. I'm 6'4" and have no problem fitting. I'm getting around 33 mpg overall with the manual transmission and I read they improved mileage for 2007.

Ride/handling combo. This car handles much better than you'd think. Fuel economy. Stick shift is easy. Roomy interior. The price was very nice.

Fix the doors so they don't sound so cheap when they close. The cup holder location is too low. Rear head restraints...this is 2006, Ford! Side curtain airbags as an option.

Gas Problem
By tomw

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I really like my new '06 Ford Focus ZX5 SE. I've only got about 600 miles on it however, and when filling up with gas, both times the gas backs up and shoots back out of the filler tube within seconds and splashes all over me! I have to barely squeeze the pump handle in order to get the gas into the car - a real hassle and I'm awaiting Ford's answer to this problem.

Fun to drive.

A new gas tank feed tube?

Worst new car I ever bought
By wiwany

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Six Flags on the road - that's the way this sloppy manufactured car rides. Suspension must be made of marshmallows. A pot hole in the way? just hit it - and sends you somewhere you would never anticipate beforehand ... I would even say: dangerous to drive!

Looks.