Used 2006 Ford Focus ZX5 SES Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

It's an economy car
By pyzik

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car back in 2009, it had 60k on it at the time. I jumped into this car from a 2002 Mercury Sable Premier that had an engine electrical problem I didn't want to pay to fix. Going from a Premier with all the bells and whistles to this is really what made this car seem less than it is. I am at 120k miles now with the only issue being shocks. All four are bad. Other than that brakes were the only other things that have needed changing. MPG for me has been 25 city and 34 highway. The car has road noise and isn't very comfortable but as I said it's an economy car. It's a little slow but handles great.

Favorite Features

Handling is great. I love the hatchback. I get better highway MPG than the window sticker said I would.

Suggested Improvements

Noisy. Steering wheel & mirrors vibrate at idle. Uncomfortable.

Small with good Utility
By bwsmoney

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Yes it's small. But it has a pretty decent amount of interior space for its size. SES package gives you the controls on the steering wheel, which is nice. As for comfort, it is perfect for my wife (5'3") but not at all comfortable for me (6'5"). Engine is not very powerful, but it's only noticeable when the car is really loaded down. MPG is heavily dependent on how you drive it. No mechanical problems after 4+ years, just one long-term rattle underneath that the mechanics have not been to locate. Antenna base got water in it and therefore some corrosion, and now radio reception is horrible.

Favorite Features

Good handling, small footprint, good interior space, nice styling, good ground clearance, SES package.

Suggested Improvements

Cramped legroom, fit & finish is not great, shift points are horrible, engine loud under stress, paint scratches too easily

06 Focus SES ZX5 AT
By Sgeur67

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my Focus SES ZX5 new. Love it. getting 25mpg city/30mpg hwy at 70mph. Original Pirelli P6's were super noisy, replaced them after 400 miles with Goodrich TA radials. Quieter than the P6's and far far better traction in snow. After 54K mi brakes are still great, no noise, no squeaks, no dust and still now wore out. AC is always cold when you really need good and cold. This car has all the power you need for every day commuting and quite comfortable on 4hr trip too. I would buy another 4dr hatch if Ford made it. Great little car.

Favorite Features

Theres more room in front seats thanks to not having a great big center console. I like the way the small storage compartments flips out of the way when not needed.

Suggested Improvements

Less hard plastic around the inside. Add more "useful" storage bins and cubbies.

FordMan
By southbender

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have had since 2/06. Had issues with the tailgate immediately, and the backseats needed adjusting, they wouldn't relatch first time folded down. Drivers door needed to be reset also right after purchase. Hatchback door key mechanism fell out, my spouse noticed and picked up a small key cover. Have driven from Northern IN, to Boise, Phoenix, and Nashville. Cruises at 70mph no problems. Great gas mileage. Good pick up and go in traffic. Tight steering. Great car for the money.

Favorite Features

Stereo system and CD player and automatically adjusts w/engine noise. Great tilt and telescoping steering wheel. Firm comfortable seats. Great headroom for small car. Surprisingly has a great amount of cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise is excessive. Needs to have luggage rack. Too bad Ford quit making the zx5 and wagons,,,will not be buying the 4dr sedan. Will have to go for an import of some sort.

Broken after only 3800 miles
By Ginger

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have enjoyed driving my car and it gets really good fuel mileage, but I went to get the windows tinted and the auto man showed me where there were screws missing from the doors. Then after owning the car for 3.5 months the starter goes bad, which dealer did fix.

Favorite Features

Leather, cruise, overall handling.

Suggested Improvements

Screws to be added when putting car together.