2006 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
It's an economy car
By pyzik on 06/27/12 12:31 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car back in 2009, it had 60k on it at the time. I jumped into this car from a 2002 Mercury Sable Premier that had an engine electrical problem I didn't want to pay to fix. Going from a Premier with all the bells and whistles to this is really what made this car seem less than it is. I am at 120k miles now with the only issue being shocks. All four are bad. Other than that brakes were the only other things that have needed changing. MPG for me has been 25 city and 34 highway. The car has road noise and isn't very comfortable but as I said it's an economy car. It's a little slow but handles great.

2006 Focus ZX3 2 dr Hatchback
By starrynight548 on 08/24/10 15:33 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I like this car, especially how easy it is to maneuver in tight areas. Brakes are noisy, took it in for check up & was told squeaky brakes were normal for this car. I do wish I got better gas mileage, and wish the back seats would fold down flat (as the dealer assured me they would, but they don't)

Small with good Utility
By bwsmoney on 05/13/10 21:34 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Yes it's small. But it has a pretty decent amount of interior space for its size. SES package gives you the controls on the steering wheel, which is nice. As for comfort, it is perfect for my wife (5'3") but not at all comfortable for me (6'5"). Engine is not very powerful, but it's only noticeable when the car is really loaded down. MPG is heavily dependent on how you drive it. No mechanical problems after 4+ years, just one long-term rattle underneath that the mechanics have not been to locate. Antenna base got water in it and therefore some corrosion, and now radio reception is horrible.

Great Little Car
By jpeters on 02/07/10 13:32 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased brand new in March '06. Coming up on 4 years and 108,000 miles and not a single issue. Have done regular oil changes every 5,000 miles and am on my third set of tires, have replaced one rear light at about 80,000 miles. Thats it for maintanence. Fun to drive, great gas mileage, practically maintenance free. Good acceleration and handling, passing is a breeze. Only complaints are engine noise at about 62 mph but only at that particular speed, not higher or lower. Not comfortable on long drives, say over about 3 or 4 hours, definite booty pain. Has been a fun and faithful little car. Love it!

06 Focus SES ZX5 AT
By Sgeur67 on 12/01/09 00:48 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my Focus SES ZX5 new. Love it. getting 25mpg city/30mpg hwy at 70mph. Original Pirelli P6's were super noisy, replaced them after 400 miles with Goodrich TA radials. Quieter than the P6's and far far better traction in snow. After 54K mi brakes are still great, no noise, no squeaks, no dust and still now wore out. AC is always cold when you really need good and cold. This car has all the power you need for every day commuting and quite comfortable on 4hr trip too. I would buy another 4dr hatch if Ford made it. Great little car.

Ford Focus Superstar
By jezmanuk on 10/01/09 19:37 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SES 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my '06 Focus new. Wanted Grey, hatchback, Stick, shopped around and got a 3 door SES with leather moon roof and winter package for $14000. I have had ZERO problems with it for 26000 miles, service has been excellent from dealer (even replaced a wheel with a good used one for free when I kerbed mine). The car is fun to drive, very reliable (Consumer reports rates it with Civic and Corolla), looks good and I have had a very stress free ownership. The Original Pirelli P6's (unusual size205/50 ZR16) weren't great and had lots of road noise. I changed all 4 due to a sidewall puncture @ 24K miles for BF Goodrich G-Force Sport which are much quieter and have much better dry traction

my first and only ford
By wade on 09/03/09 21:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 S 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car pre owned it had 43,000 k on it in the last 6 months I had the (wheel bearings, oxygen sensor, and heated seats replaced) I, m having trouble with the heater controls, the gas peddle sticks when its cold out and now the radio isn't working which is going to cost $700.00 to replace. The car isn't good in the snow and there, s a lot of road and wind noise.

Functional, reliable, and fuel efficient
By Mike in NH on 05/18/09 21:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Focus for a year and have had no problems. I love the room it has in back. It was the only hatch that could swallow my goalie equipment without having to fold the seat down. I check my mileage every fill-up and have never been below 27 and highest was 34mpg. Typically 28-29 in mostly short trip driving, no highway (but not really stop and go either) The ride feels a bit like a Jetta, which is a compliment-- great handling, nicely tuned suspension. However, much less expensive and Ford reliability is outstanding these days.

many problems
By mtcilley on 05/17/09 12:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

purchesed new 3/2006 NOT SAFE AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS IN SNOW!! THE REAR END WILL SPIN AROUND CAUSING TOTAL LOSS OF CONTROLL! wthn 2wks wiper motor burned out. found recall for same problem on other focus models but not specific to my mine -- ford will not respond, cost me $2oo bucks. rear plate lights, tail lights, rear turn signal lights started blowing bulbs then fuses and all lights except headlamps were out also the rear hatch door would pop open when ignition was turned on. found that wiring harness for rear hatch door had all wires broken. again found recall for same problem on other focus models but not specific to mine--again ford will not respond. spliced wires back together myself.

F for Ford and rear brake squeal
By Fordratesan F on 04/27/09 08:51 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SES 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Rear brake squeal is a major problem with these Ford Focus for a number of model years and Ford refuses to fix or acknowlege the issue except for a few. We bought 3 of these and have the same problem on all. After about 2 years the rear brake squeal is so loud it is deafening. The dealship has not been able to fix the problem and we have spent a lot of money on them. Ford tells us we are just out of luck. Buyer beware.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.