Used 2006 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

It's an economy car
By pyzik

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car back in 2009, it had 60k on it at the time. I jumped into this car from a 2002 Mercury Sable Premier that had an engine electrical problem I didn't want to pay to fix. Going from a Premier with all the bells and whistles to this is really what made this car seem less than it is. I am at 120k miles now with the only issue being shocks. All four are bad. Other than that brakes were the only other things that have needed changing. MPG for me has been 25 city and 34 highway. The car has road noise and isn't very comfortable but as I said it's an economy car. It's a little slow but handles great.

Favorite Features

Handling is great. I love the hatchback. I get better highway MPG than the window sticker said I would.

Suggested Improvements

Noisy. Steering wheel & mirrors vibrate at idle. Uncomfortable.

2006 Focus ZX3 2 dr Hatchback
By starrynight548

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I like this car, especially how easy it is to maneuver in tight areas. Brakes are noisy, took it in for check up & was told squeaky brakes were normal for this car. I do wish I got better gas mileage, and wish the back seats would fold down flat (as the dealer assured me they would, but they don't)

Favorite Features

Easy to maneuver in tight spots, can usually do a complete turn around without having to back up.

Suggested Improvements

Back seats should be able to lay down flat.

Small with good Utility
By bwsmoney

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Yes it's small. But it has a pretty decent amount of interior space for its size. SES package gives you the controls on the steering wheel, which is nice. As for comfort, it is perfect for my wife (5'3") but not at all comfortable for me (6'5"). Engine is not very powerful, but it's only noticeable when the car is really loaded down. MPG is heavily dependent on how you drive it. No mechanical problems after 4+ years, just one long-term rattle underneath that the mechanics have not been to locate. Antenna base got water in it and therefore some corrosion, and now radio reception is horrible.

Favorite Features

Good handling, small footprint, good interior space, nice styling, good ground clearance, SES package.

Suggested Improvements

Cramped legroom, fit & finish is not great, shift points are horrible, engine loud under stress, paint scratches too easily

Great Little Car
By jpeters

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased brand new in March '06. Coming up on 4 years and 108,000 miles and not a single issue. Have done regular oil changes every 5,000 miles and am on my third set of tires, have replaced one rear light at about 80,000 miles. Thats it for maintanence. Fun to drive, great gas mileage, practically maintenance free. Good acceleration and handling, passing is a breeze. Only complaints are engine noise at about 62 mph but only at that particular speed, not higher or lower. Not comfortable on long drives, say over about 3 or 4 hours, definite booty pain. Has been a fun and faithful little car. Love it!

Favorite Features

Styling, handleing, fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Make the cab quieter, more cushion on the seats.

06 Focus SES ZX5 AT
By Sgeur67

2006 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my Focus SES ZX5 new. Love it. getting 25mpg city/30mpg hwy at 70mph. Original Pirelli P6's were super noisy, replaced them after 400 miles with Goodrich TA radials. Quieter than the P6's and far far better traction in snow. After 54K mi brakes are still great, no noise, no squeaks, no dust and still now wore out. AC is always cold when you really need good and cold. This car has all the power you need for every day commuting and quite comfortable on 4hr trip too. I would buy another 4dr hatch if Ford made it. Great little car.

Favorite Features

Theres more room in front seats thanks to not having a great big center console. I like the way the small storage compartments flips out of the way when not needed.

Suggested Improvements

Less hard plastic around the inside. Add more "useful" storage bins and cubbies.