Used 2006 Ford Focus ZX3 SES Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Ford Focus Superstar
By jezmanuk

2006 Ford Focus ZX3 SES 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my '06 Focus new. Wanted Grey, hatchback, Stick, shopped around and got a 3 door SES with leather moon roof and winter package for $14000. I have had ZERO problems with it for 26000 miles, service has been excellent from dealer (even replaced a wheel with a good used one for free when I kerbed mine). The car is fun to drive, very reliable (Consumer reports rates it with Civic and Corolla), looks good and I have had a very stress free ownership. The Original Pirelli P6's (unusual size205/50 ZR16) weren't great and had lots of road noise. I changed all 4 due to a sidewall puncture @ 24K miles for BF Goodrich G-Force Sport which are much quieter and have much better dry traction

Price & Handling, the car is fun to drive and has plenty of power for it's size. Winter package in Seattle is great with heated seats and mirrors. Ergonomics are great too especially with steering mounted audio and cruise control. Car holds lots with seats down. Drives better than all the competitio

ABS should be standard ( it is on all European cars!), side airbags should also be standard and not an option. The gear knob painted finish chipped off and it would be nice to have more aftermarket parts for interior and exterior. Original Pirelli P6's lots of road noise!! (Ford now has Kumho's)

F for Ford and rear brake squeal
By Fordratesan F

2006 Ford Focus ZX3 SES 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Rear brake squeal is a major problem with these Ford Focus for a number of model years and Ford refuses to fix or acknowlege the issue except for a few. We bought 3 of these and have the same problem on all. After about 2 years the rear brake squeal is so loud it is deafening. The dealship has not been able to fix the problem and we have spent a lot of money on them. Ford tells us we are just out of luck. Buyer beware.

NONE

Buy for target practice only

Pretty good buy
By Kika

2006 Ford Focus ZX3 SES 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I like my Focus Hatchback. It's compact, so it's great for fitting in small places and such. However, I keep hearing a noise associated with the brake/transmission that I can't figure out. I took it in to the dealership and they fixed another noise (which was the backseat latch needing oil). This other noise worries me, though. Otherwise, I cannot complain. The A/C's great. The sound's pretty nice and I like the speaker set up. And, it drives smoothly. I would recommend it for a first time car-buyer.

Speaker set up (standard, not Sony) A/C. Size, gas mileage

More comfortable access to the rear seat.

so far so good
By timotee

2006 Ford Focus ZX3 SES 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car for a little over a year now. I must say that I love this car. It really is too bad that Ford is doing away with the hatchback! My only single complaint is the fuel economy. I do mostly spirited highway driving and I average about 24 mpg. I realize the EPA sets these numbers so it's really not their fault. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Handles really well for a small car.

Maybe a little more comfortable seat and someone kick the EPA in the head for rating this at 31 mpg highway!

Solid car that holds it own.
By Chris

2006 Ford Focus ZX3 SES 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I looked at all the favorites from Toyota, Honda, Mazda etc. and found that this little car was the best deal for the money. There is no way the other manufactures could compete with the price considering all that comes on this vehicle (SES), not to mention Ford rebates and incentives. This car is fun to drive, handles good, accelerates on a dime, and is good for long commutes. I am discouraged about the insurance though, a little high because of a high symbol rating. Will be interested to see how good the gas mileage really is. Overall though I like this car. Good buy.

Solid air condition, Sony sound system with sub woofer, cruise control, power everything, radio steering wheel controls, 16" wheels, trunk space, fog lights, peppy engine and well thought out interior design.

Cruise control and radio steering wheel controls need to be illuminated at night, you can't see what you're doing in the dark. Front end suspension a little noisy. Visor mirrors could be lighted and the rear view mirror could be upgraded to dimming, temperature etc. capabilities on the SES