Key stuck in ignition
By rebel5386 on
2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
This is an awesome car. I love it. I have 63000 on it, bought it with 35000. I just now had to replace the breaks and a tail light. However, my key won't come out. Its the ignition tumbler, and ford wants 300 at least to fix it. I don't suppose someone knows a way around this? I love this car, its so much fun, I paid too much at the time, but it has been so worth it. I just hate that I can't get my key out. The car starts fine, and turns off fine, its just that the key wont come out. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
Favorite Features
I love how little gas it uses, its sporty look and that for a little four cylinder, it really moves!
Suggested Improvements
Why does it have to have so many sensors? Why does a key need a sensor?
By hoss720
on 08/05/14 20:17 PM (PDT)

I also had this problem with my 2005 Focus ZX5. Under the gear shift, there is a plastic piece that covers the metal shaft going down into the console. Make sure that the plastic piece is the whole way up against the shift knob, and there is NO gap. I slid that part up and the key came right out. Another way to check and make sure that this is the issue is to put the car in park and turn the key off. ENSURE NOTHING IS AROUND YOU and try to pull the shifter out of park. If it moves without pressing the brake pedal or turning the key, check the plastic piece. it may have slipped down.