2005 Ford Focus Consumer Review: Fuel pump trouble

2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Review

2005 Ford Focus

ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Fuel pump trouble
By rurba546 on

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used with 40,000 miles. Drove it to 45,000 and found the factory battery needed to be replaced. It also started to die when it got below 1/4 tank. I replaced the fuel filter and that seemed to help, to be safe I kept it above 1/4 tank whenever possible. A month went by and the trouble returned stranding me half way through a 150 mile trip. Turns out the fuel pump was shot as I feared. Expensive repair due to the fact that the gas tank had to be removed to get to the fuel pump. I hope this is the last major repair for awhile. I like the car a lot otherwise so far. But, doesn't come close to my last car, a 1996 Chevy Cavalier that was awesome and gave me almost no trouble!

Very solid and practically built overall. Handles great. All the features one would expect in a cheap compact. Gas mileage is as expected but not amazing, low 30s on average. Easy to change oil and do other basic maintenance if elevated. Good-sized trunk. Interior and controls are decent.

Fuel system could be a lot better. Lots of vibration and road noise. Not at all impressed with acceleration even for its size. A little tight in the front, very cramped in the backseat, even for a compact. Exterior design is ugly, but my car is black, which makes it seem not so bad.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review