2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Satisfied Ford Owner
By riraho on 05/07/14 08:58 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in December 2007 at approx. 32k miles and traded it in today at 72k miles. I found this car to be very reliable for the 7 years I had it. I had no major repairs performed over that time, only small wear and tear repairs.

Richmond BC Focus
By wpgjet on 01/02/13 22:23 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 2005 Focus in September 2005. 113,700 KMs later it is running fine. The CD player, however, is prone to failure. I have had SEVEN replacement CD players installed, under warranty. Also, the power door lock mechanism has had to be replaced twice, also under warranty. Otherwise, the car is reliable and fun to drive. No actual mechanical problems. As with any new car purchase, it is a good idea to buy the Extended Warranty, as the electronic gadgets are expensive to replace.

Awesome Value
By scandalon68 on 09/10/12 13:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was by far the best care I have ever owned. It was running great with over 210K until it was totaled. Great mileage.

Average car, but will not buy again
By magastratus on 07/10/12 17:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2007 with 30k miles, and had to replace transmission before it hit 70k; set me back about $1200. Previous reviews about the interior being especially noisy are accurate. Gas mileage is lower than what I expected. A lot of minor things go wrong with this car. The vent selector switch broke, so it is stuck on blowing air on my feet. I have yet to get this fixed, so I am uncertain what it will cost. Armrest was also flimsy and broke within 6 months. It also takes a very long time to warm up during the winter, and will sometimes have issues starting cold. It will always eventually start, but not without some hassle. Not terrible, but buy something better if you have the $$.

Best car I ever owned
By asmaestas on 05/18/12 21:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Ford Focus Sedan in 2004 with only 3500 miles. I now have 114000 miles on it. It runs like a champ. I get about 25 mpg around town 40 mpg highway. 29 mixed. Automatic. The only problem I had with it was the sway link bushings had to be replace. My Focus is strip down model, no power windows, no cruise control. I had the cruise installed else where. It's been a fantastic car! I'll drive it till wheels fall off or it gets wrecked. It's very well maintained.

safe and reliable
By mesm on 03/21/12 12:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got into a head on collision with a drunk driver in a GMC Yukon while driving my '05 Ford Focus and walked away with nothing but whiplash and a few cuts and bruises. The entire front of the car was flattened, but all of the built in safety features worked and saved both mine and my passenger's lives. In another car, we could have easily died. The gas mileage could have been better, but this is a great car if you're looking for something safe, reliable, and sturdy.

Great and Fun little Car!!
By gbowen3553 on 07/10/11 12:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '05 Focus, used, three years ago. I was looking for dependable, cheap transportation for my Daughter. 90k miles later, I am Not dissapointed! Extreemly Dependable, low maintenance cost, high gas mileage (31 MPG in City), ang plenty of get up and go for a 4 Cyl. Very smooth Automatic, with overdrive, The interior and the Trunk are Huge, especially for a small car. Plenty of Grocery Room. Road noise is very noticeable, but what small car doesn't have that? Overall an outstanding little car and YES, I would purchase another!!

Great Car
By colorsendinink on 06/02/11 21:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My family bought this car new in 2004, and its given us very few problems since then. After making the mistake of buying a 1996 cavalier ( died after 4 months of driving with 78000 total miles)...me and my dad made a deal where i would make the down payment on his new car, and i would get his 2005 focus. best descion i've made. since 2004, we've only replaced the brakes once, which was last year, replaced sway links, and we had a minor electrical problem with the windows. the car works great in our buffalo winters, and currently has 150,000 miles and still drives great.

Fifi
By djd7241 on 04/12/11 06:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I named her Fifi. It's short for Felicia Ford Focus. For a car that I am so often complimenting, she needed a name. Pushing 77000 miles and my only only problem EVER was an air bag light that came on and was fixed under warranty. I've gone through a couple sets of tires though. It's a respectable looking car but nothing exciting. It's a little louder than some other cars out there, but nothing unbearable. It's got some serious pep and corners amazingly. Took a 1200 mile trip this past may, cruise set at 90-95, A/C on full blast and pretty much everything I own in the back seat and trunk, I still got close to 29mpg. It may not seem great, but I was sure impressed. Great Auto Trans.

Not worth the repairs
By bioc06 on 03/24/11 13:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My '05 Focus has been prone to maintenance issues. Despite following the scheduled maintenance guide and having less than 50,000 miles, the transmission has gone. The cause, according to the mechanic, is wear and tear on a band, and nothing could have been done to prevent it. Twice, the alignment has gone out. No cause was given.