Used 2005 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Any excuse to drive it
By bob

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I can't remember the last time I owned a car that is so much fun to drive. I went from an extended cab four wheel drive pickup truck to my ZX3 and don't regret that decision at all. I am glad that I got the manual transmission, however. I had the opportunity to drive a Focus with the automatic while on a business trip, and the difference is quite obvious. I highly recommend the Focus and have already decided that I will be getting another one when my son gets this one in a few years.

The moonroof.

Ford Focus
By Meghan

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car in Nov. 2004. I had to take it the dealer to have transmission work. There was a transmission leak due to (slip boot cover?) had to be replaced. Transmission also had a rumbling noise when car reached speeds of over 35 mph. Apparently, the transmission was sitting on the axle and they had to take out the whole transmission and reposition it. I am glad I had the warranty to cover all of the repairs. Sometimes it is hard to shift (clutch gets stuck).

Good fuel mileage, good trunk space for the size of the car.

Make seats more comfortable, quieter interior when reaching speeds over 30 mph.

Ford Focus rating
By Gwyn

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Ford Focus Is a very quiet and smooth ride, and Is very economical on gas.

I love the steering wheel, the sunglass holder, the mute button on the radio, and the cruise control features.

The compartment between the front seats Is way too small.

Fun Little Car!
By Gretchen Huiras

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my little car! It's super to drive in the city and comfortable to ride in on longer trips. I can drive for two weeks straight without having to go to the gas station, and for a single person, it is the perfect size. It has enough power that I can run the AC with minimal affect to the engine or gas tank. It has plenty of room for three people to sit comfortably, four being a little tight, but it is possible. It has been very reliable with only the 3000 mile check-ups bringing me to the dealer. It does well in both hot and cold weather and handles well in wet weather as well. As it doesn't snow in Savannah, GA., I can't comment on that. The stereo is wonderful. It's a fun car.

For its size, it has a lot of get up and go. It is a lot of fun to drive and very easy to drive. It sits very well on the road and handles curves like a pro. On the highway, it is really smooth and quiet. It likes to go fast, so driving it on longer trips is fun. It is also comfortable.

Chief complaint: When you put the back seat down, it doesn't allow for anyone to sit in the back. In other words, the back rest doesn't have a break in it allowing one side to go down and the other to be free for a third passenger. They have hopefully modified that in the 2005/2006 models.

Cal Fun
By calisun

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SES 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Always had a love for hatchbacks for their design and practicality. Owned an '87 VW Scirocco 16V, but VW currently doesn't have the aggressive design I look for. For the price/features ratio, Ford Focus ZX3 is a great buy. $13.5k (+ taxes, registration, etc.) for a top-of-the- line '05 ZX3 says it all.

Everything's at your fingertips! What blindspots! Distinctive clicks on the manual transmission. Steering wheel mounted radio controls -- awesome when you have 110+ songs per disc. Very willing engine, 5500RPM entering the freeway and didn't even notice. Love the optional sunroof -- take in the sun & keep that AC off.

Better sound insulation -- drone from the wheel wells at freeway speeds. PZEV environment-friendly engine at a cost of unexpectedly low MPG. Drum brakes on a ZX3 SES? Short travel telescoping steering wheel. Plastic hole covers keep popping out. Bring back the SVT or how about an SHO?