Used 2005 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

the most bang for your buck
By Mike

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SES 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Obviously the Ford Focus isn't a luxury model. You get what you pay for. But I purchased a 2005 ZX2 SES om July of '05 (the day before Ford decided to do employee pricing). I also added the upgraded sound system, side impact air bags, and moonroof ... I paid $13,150. I believe that dollar for dollar you get more for your money that Toyota or Honda. Remember you are paying premium price on those two cars because of reliability. Ford has worked out the kinks and I believe it's not worth paying an extra $6,000 for a Honda just because a Ford MIGHT break down and a Honda MIGHT not.

Favorite Features

Excellent control with steering. Excellent sound system. I get about 20 mpg with a mix of highway and city. (Chicago)

Suggested Improvements

A little more head room. I am 6'3" and if I sit up straight it cuts a little close. Luckily I like to drive with the seat back a little.

Ford Focus
By Doris Courtney

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SES 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a cute, economical car with all the amenities of a very expensive vehicle. Highly recommend it. Has a 6 CD player, climate control, anti-theft device, back seats fold down for extra room, dual airbags, heated side mirrors, loads of storage space, several cupholders, an outlet to charge a cellphone, floor mats, and keyless door entry. It has a separate button to blow the horn so you can find your car in a parking lot, cruise control, Pirelli tires. The price is reasonable with tax and tags, $15,000.

Favorite Features

Adjustable driver seat. No extra pillows needed.

Suggested Improvements

I could not improve on this car at all unless it came with it's own garage.

2005 ZX3 SES
By pwhopkins

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SES 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Only 1500 miles on the ZX3. So far it is great. Fuel economy is not what I was hoping for, but after reading other threads on this, I guess averaging 29 is better than some. Car has plenty of power. Very fun to drive and handles great. A little heavy on the road noise, but better then Honda.

Favorite Features

Performance and handling are great. Interior appointments are well thought out. Sound system is outstanding for factory equipment.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the fuel economy. Kinda embarrassing when my neighbors Chevy Impala averages better real world fuel economy then my sub-compact Focus.

one of the best!
By v foster

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SES 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

One of the best autos I have ever owned for all around economy, fun to drive, fewer problems, looks, ease of handling, and dependability.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, power, fuel economy, handling, looks.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better built seats, better traction in snow, better grade hardware, on door latches, hatchback latches, more sound proofing.

Focus ZX3
By scionandfocus

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Took delivery of the second-least expensive version of the Focus available less than a month ago, a ZX3 S manual with air conditioning. With incentives, it had a no-haggle price of $11,062 (plus taxes, tags, and dealer charges). Toss in the car's roomy interior and great ride and handling, and the car seems like a winner. However, since we took delivery of the car, a problem with the manual transmission has appeared no fewer than five times, requiring three trips to the dealer that have yet to solve the problem. Hopefully this and any other problems with the car aren't widespread. Shoppers: it's worth counting on that to get what is probably the best small-car buy out there.

Favorite Features

Well-designed manual operated mirrors, good rear seat space and access.

Suggested Improvements

More secure manual transmission linkage, folding outside mirrors.