Used 2005 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

ZX3 Pitch Black
By desm0derek

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car after researching smaller models. Found it was designed by an esteemed designer. Looks are terrific and the finish is excellent as you would expect from a Euro designed car. Driving is a hoot and the performance is more than acceptable. I also managed to get 2 high back chairs in the large rear after folding the seats down. Economy is 30mpg at all speeds although if you use the power higher up it drops slightly -- 27ish. All in all I am very pleased with the car and actually chose this over the BMW 323 because of the price differential; the BMW didn't offer the extra edge to warrant the price. The Mazda 3, Nissan, Toyota and GM vehicles were a bit lacking in quality.

The dash layout is cool, but the previous year's was better. The seats are comfortable and the vision is excellent.

Bring in the new Euro model.

My 05 ZX3 Review
By mwp1

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My car is the basic S model with air and 5- speed; I bought it as a daily commuter as I drive 120 miles a day for work. Runs well but has had transmission problems beginning at 50 miles, the shifter cable keeps falling off at the transmission, three times now, the dealer keeps "adjusting" the cables but I know that there is a design flaw with the plastic connector. Also the drivers seat frame broke requiring a new seat back to be installed.

Good fuel economy, fun to drive. Good looking little car.

Interior noise, drivers side blind spots.

6 months 11,000 mile review
By Mike

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SES 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for $13,100 (ZX3 SES with upgraded sound system, side impact air bags, moonroof) July 2nd, 2005. Since then I've put 11,000 miles on the car and couldn't be happier. It has a lot of pep and handles the corners great. I average about 31 mpg at about 80% highway driving. I thought it would be a little higher, but I heard no cars ever truly meet what is posted on the car by the EPA, so no real concern.

6 CD changer, moonroof, EXCELLENT sound system, hatchback (has really helped with moving).

There isn't a real good place to put your cups when driving, wish the duplicate control were ON the steering wheel, not on a lever to the side.

Missing my Escort
By Escort

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Interesting drive. At first I thought it will roll-over at cornering, but got used to it. For this particular car they should eliminate the word "economy" in "fuel economy": 22.4 mpg on the highway, 20.5 mpg in town. My Escort was close to 40 mpg. Dealer just doesn't want to fix it.

Color, style, steering wheel, rear bench becomes a nice platform.

Engine: improve it by replacing it entirely. Visibility: I'm tall and cannot really see the traffic lights while stopped at one. Steering wheel should telescope at least twice more.

Excellent Car
By Dan

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Focus as a supplemental car to my Ford Ranger. It is probably the best investment I could have made to run around in. I would definitely recommend this car.

Traction control and power moonroof.

None.