Used 2005 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

great car
By MH

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We love the hatchback, but there's more to love, too. Very zippy, even with the automatic, yet pretty good fuel economy. Good road feel and handling. Small footprint with plenty of interior space and decent backseat room. My husband is tall and I'm not, but we both feel comfortable driving. Very reliable. Really like the keyless entry.

Favorite Features

Hatchback, airbags, fuel economy, handling, acceleration, worry-free.

Suggested Improvements

It does have a little rattle in the glove box when the weather is cold. Would like better back support in the front seats. Would really love this as a hybrid!

Best Choice for the Price
By LarryZX4SES

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned many dozens of Fords. I traded-off a 2003 Ranger FX4 for the Focus. My wife and I test drove every make of vehicle before deciding, and the last two choices were a BMW 3 series or the Focus. The BMW was without question better in performance, handling and comfort, but not $20,000.00 better. I drive the car to work daily and average around 28-29 mpg in town. On the highway the mileage can jump to 34 mpg or better. The car is almost paying for itself on gasoline savings alone. The main selling points for me were the leg room, handling, pretty good pep especially for passing on the highway, and over all comfort. For a drive-to-work car, it has been very good.

Favorite Features

Good handling for zipping through traffic, good horsepower for getting away from traffic, correct seat design to prevent knee binding, not bad looks in dark gray, comfortable enough to drive for hours, and better mileage than everything else in its price range.

Suggested Improvements

Smoother and quieter tires. The factory tires are good, but hard and noisy. Have an option for higher quality interior materials; the plastics do the job and are better than most brands, but I would still like an interior with a little warmth.

Great 1st Car for a Teen
By Firefighter254

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Trying to find a reasonably proced low mileage used Honda/Toyota/Nissan is impossible, so we tried the Ford Focus and it was the best thing we could have done. We found our 2005 ZX4-SES complete with every option except leather seats for under $9300 w/tax/prep. Just a great car for a first timer like my teenage daughter- came with ABS and side air bags. Great MPG as well-she loves it ! Cjeap to run, cheap to keep and it just goes and goes and goes.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive-lot of nice features for a basic car. Safe and reliable. Great MPG.

Suggested Improvements

Noisy hi-rev 4-cyl engine plus lots of wind noise over 65mph-you learn to live with it.

my red focus
By Berenice

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

when i first bought the car i was like its nice it looks cool its cheap , then i took it for a test drive it was a very smooth i liked it a lot

Favorite Features

it saves gas easy to drive

Suggested Improvements

they already made a new one so i guess they improved it

Great car and more room than you think..
By SnoProG

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drive a good bit for work and this car fit the bill, litterally. I get 31- 32 mpg all highway and average about 26 mixed, and as low as 20 in city, winter driving where I sometimes park for a coffee and leave the motor running with the heat on. The motor is no slouch; and I've owned SVT Lightnings. I have absolutely no complaints, save two. I bought this car from a senior in Florida to use in Michigan. The problems are the driver door window seal at the bottom fusing to the glass so that I can't roll the window down and have to use a credit card to separate the rubber from the glass. It happens quite a bit. The other is the washer fluid lines freezing up in below zero weather. I'll survive.

Favorite Features

Cup holders in the center console and doors. I can fit there soda bottles in each door. I also really like the little side bins in the back seat area. The zippy 2.0 engine is not bad at all. All around visibility via the mirrors. The larger than you would expect rear seat room. Power hatch release.

Suggested Improvements

Make the telescoping steering wheel adjust out further by at least 1.5 inches. All the driver seat to fully recline. Driver dead pedal.