2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2005 Focus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Sort Reviews by

Mike's Focus
By mike raymond

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's good on gas. Holds a lot. It makes me feel safe. Great handling, good suspension and quick.

Favorite Features

The radio controls on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

A little wider trunk opening on the 4 door model. A CVT/ Hybrid model with navigation option. A 5 speed automatic transmission.

I hate Fords but this car is....
By Josh5m

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I hate Fords but this car is amazing. I love the fact that it idles smooth, rides good, and the seats are comfortable. I bought the car in Feb. of 2007 with 39,699 miles on it (roughly). I've already put 5,000 miles on it in 6 weeks. Changing the oil is easy; it's nice that it is in the front. The transmission is smooth. The engine is pretty powerful for a 4 banger. The headlights aren't bright at all and a lot of the interior is horribly built. but it doesn't stop how fun it is to drive.

Favorite Features

I love the steering, it steers VERY smooth and easily. The acceleration is very nice, very touchy though. The body style is decent I guess. I like the seats even HUGE trunk space. The gas mileage is not what I expected but it is still decent.The price was great. $9800 out the door. Seats fold down.

Suggested Improvements

I really really really hate the lights, the visors, the speakers and where the cds go. Honestly who would put a cd rack next to the steering column?? The lights are horrible, my 1988 Buick LeSabre has brighter headlights. The visors are cardboard. The speakers sound like they are tweeters.

Watch Out!
By Matt

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2004 to replace my ailing 94 S-10 with 240k miles. I am less than happy with my car. Things that went wrong under warranty. CD Player - dead within weeks, replaced. Heater Core - dead within 18 months and leaked all over interior. Replaced part but not interior. Wobbling - found no problems, but I paid to rebalance, still wobbles. Unfixed issues - starting, the car just sometimes will not start. AC - varies from cold to warm randomly. Interior stinks, as one person mentioned "rattlebox". Engine seems loud, and I've been told it's just injector pulse. Interior can get loud on highway. Currently, blower on level 3 does not work. No leg room, tilt wheel stinks.

Favorite Features

Car engine seems reliable, no major issues there. Good power for a small car, good handling. I love the steering wheel audio controls and MP3 deck although the stereo system lacks. Lots of cup holders. Good interior space. Easy fold down rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

Interior rattles horribly - please improve. Telescoping steering wheel seems odd. I just can't get it right. Better gas mileage, the EPA estimates are very misleading. I've never reached over 31 MPG and I do all highway driving. Hard to hear anything when traveling on the highway, very loud.

Bang for the buck competence
By BasiliskSt

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The Ford Focus ST (mine is a 2005, but the 2006-2007 are essentially identical) is an affordable driver's car. It delivers a surprisingly good blend of driving prowess and economy. The ST features a 2.3 liter fuel-injected four cylinder engine mated to a five-speed manual transmission. This combination is extremely flexible, offering plenty of torque at lower rpms. The handling and steering are class leading, beating much more expensive cars. The car offers power on demand and economy. My Focus ST delivers 38 mpg at 55-60 mph, 30-32 mpg at freeway speeds of 70-75 mph, and 26-28 mpg in city, mixed driving. All good, but not class leading. The Focus's balance is skewed towards sport.

Favorite Features

The flexible drive train offers responsive power in any gear. The handling and steering are impeccable. Everything the driver touches feels great. The black leather wheel and gear shift are highlighted with red stitching. The interior offers more room than the outside size suggests.

Suggested Improvements

The Focus is still a stand-out small car, but the competitive target is moving. The next Focus needs side-curtain air bags, a more stylish interior, and more sound isolation from road noise. A new, updated Focus is expected in 2008. It should keep the excellent driving dynamics of the current Focus.

Piece of junk
By Jak Pine

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Focus in June of 2005 brand new. The car rides, drives and handles great. The seats are a little uncomfortable when you're in them for a while, it also lacks leg room. The car has 49,000 miles on it and has been in and out of the shop since the 15,000 mile mark. Extremely unreliable! I can't afford the repair bills anymore and just traded it in. I paid $18,000 for the car a year and a half ago, the most any dealership would give me for it is $6,500. I DO NOT recommend a Ford Focus to anyone.

Favorite Features

Moonroof and steering wheel mounted radio controls are great.

Suggested Improvements

Figure out how to make it reliable. Better materials on the interior (it has become a rattletrap). Should get better gas mileage, I drive all on the highway and average 25-28 (not good for a small car).

Good car from Ford
By Dave

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Nice car that handles well. Exterior appearance is good for a domestic and looks better than its Asian rivals. Powerful engine, good features inside. Weakest link is engine noise, and squeaks from the interior.

Favorite Features

Value. For the price this car is hard to beat.

Suggested Improvements

Engine NVH, interior materials could be better fit.

I love my car, but be careful
By Jolee

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My mom had a Focus, and when my Escort died I needed something safe for our new baby, so we go the Focus. It's a good size, I feel safe in it, and it's fun to drive.

Favorite Features

i love the steering wheel radio controls, i have a remote starter from ford, love that too, the sound system is great and the seats we're very comfortable and roomy when i was 9 months pregnant

Suggested Improvements

Better glass. I got into my car and closed the door & the rear window shattered into a million pieces into the back seat. Ford states that something must have hit the glass causing it to release pressure & shatter when the door opened. I'm still fighting with them about it possibly being a manufacturing defect

05 Ford Focus ZX4 SE
By Charles Smith

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Low rear view obstructed by high tail end. A kid could not be seen immediately behind the car.

Favorite Features

Runs well.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the drivers rear view immediately behind the car.

Great for its Price
By trevor

2005 Ford Focus ZX5 S 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car for its price. The interior could use some redesign, for example you can't roll down the window when you have a drink in the door cup holder. It is extremely responsive - "its low center of gravity allows you to take corners faster than you realize", (at least thats what I said to the officer who pulled me over last weekend for taking a corner too fast). The sound system is beefed up compared to other cars in its class. Also the mods that are available are endless.

Favorite Features

Throttle response. Radio maneuverability. Cornering, unique style.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders in the doors, does not come with a locking glove box - I wish it did.

2005 Focus
By anonymous

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new for $11,000 under the Ford employee-discount sale. It's roomy inside, even for the rear seat, and it's practical and fun to drive. Early on there was a problem with the manual shift linkage that took a few tries to be fixed properly, but there haven't been any other troubles with the car since then. It's a very nice car for the money.

Favorite Features

The price was the best aspect. I also like the handling and rear seat space.

Suggested Improvements

I'd like to see better gas mileage. It gets about 30 mpg in primarily rush hour, but for such a small car with a manual transmission, I'd have wanted higher. The telescoping wheel that was on a higher-end model I test-drove would also have been nice to have on this base model.