Used 2005 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

My Baby!
By ariana

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I plan on keeping this car for the next 50 years! I've had no problems with it at all, and the gas mileage is fantastic on the freeway. The EPA estimate is 35 HWY for my model, and on my last trip I got 34.8, while going 70 or more with no AC. No mechanical problems at all, and it's compact size is great for maneuvering in Los Angeles. The car costs nothing to operate besides the $19.99 oil change I get religiously, and gas.

Gas mileage, reliability, price.

It's a bit noisy inside, and my plastic wheelcovers squeak. City driving gas mileage is less than EPAs estimate of 27. It probably gets in the low 20s, but this is in LA traffic.

Watch Out!
By Matt

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2004 to replace my ailing 94 S-10 with 240k miles. I am less than happy with my car. Things that went wrong under warranty. CD Player - dead within weeks, replaced. Heater Core - dead within 18 months and leaked all over interior. Replaced part but not interior. Wobbling - found no problems, but I paid to rebalance, still wobbles. Unfixed issues - starting, the car just sometimes will not start. AC - varies from cold to warm randomly. Interior stinks, as one person mentioned "rattlebox". Engine seems loud, and I've been told it's just injector pulse. Interior can get loud on highway. Currently, blower on level 3 does not work. No leg room, tilt wheel stinks.

Car engine seems reliable, no major issues there. Good power for a small car, good handling. I love the steering wheel audio controls and MP3 deck although the stereo system lacks. Lots of cup holders. Good interior space. Easy fold down rear seats.

Interior rattles horribly - please improve. Telescoping steering wheel seems odd. I just can't get it right. Better gas mileage, the EPA estimates are very misleading. I've never reached over 31 MPG and I do all highway driving. Hard to hear anything when traveling on the highway, very loud.

Great for its Price
By trevor

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 S 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car for its price. The interior could use some redesign, for example you can't roll down the window when you have a drink in the door cup holder. It is extremely responsive - "its low center of gravity allows you to take corners faster than you realize", (at least thats what I said to the officer who pulled me over last weekend for taking a corner too fast). The sound system is beefed up compared to other cars in its class. Also the mods that are available are endless.

Throttle response. Radio maneuverability. Cornering, unique style.

Cupholders in the doors, does not come with a locking glove box - I wish it did.

2005 Focus
By anonymous

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new for $11,000 under the Ford employee-discount sale. It's roomy inside, even for the rear seat, and it's practical and fun to drive. Early on there was a problem with the manual shift linkage that took a few tries to be fixed properly, but there haven't been any other troubles with the car since then. It's a very nice car for the money.

The price was the best aspect. I also like the handling and rear seat space.

I'd like to see better gas mileage. It gets about 30 mpg in primarily rush hour, but for such a small car with a manual transmission, I'd have wanted higher. The telescoping wheel that was on a higher-end model I test-drove would also have been nice to have on this base model.

1 year of good time
By Alex

2005 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new for $12000 ,3 door hatch, SE with sport package (fog lights, leather steering wheel, aluminum wheels, arm rest). I wanted to buy quick, so I took the best hatch they had that time. Unfortunately my car doesn't have tilt wheel and cruise control. I survive without both but still want them. The only thing which calms me down - Focus steering wheel tilt isn't enough anyway. Oh yes, and the cruise control could be dangerous.:) I had one problem over the year - my car started to move while in Park. It was fixed under the warranty but took 2 weeks to complete. I had a loaner for these 2 weeks. I made several long trips in any weather conditions. Noise level is low, seats are ok, power is adequate.

Good power, good MPG, practicality (hatchback!), nice suspension, MP3, electric mirrors. Automatic transmission works very well.

Make tilting wheel standard.