Used 2005 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Not What We Hoped For
By Hackman

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When we purchased this Focus new, we were hoping to get a car that was fun to drive, great fuel economy, and reliability. Only one of those hopes has been realized. It is fun to drive, but it sure doesn't get the MPG's like most 4-cylinder cars. About 20-22 mpg city is all we can get. The replaceable parts like tires, brakes/rotors, and battery are definitely inferior. All had to be replaced within the first 3 years. And the cost of tires and brakes is outrageous since Ford has to different. Rotors=$75 each, when a comparable Chevy rotor is only $25. Now were getting a strut problem fixed after 43,000 miles. After this experience, we'd be hard pressed to buy another Ford.

Engine is peppy, sporty drive

Soften interior noise, better mileage, improve fit and finish of interior and exterior parts

More than expected
By CAFFN8D

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

With the understanding that the Focus was an econobox, I purchased one new from dealer in summer of '05. After 4+ years ownership, it has performed without fail and has proven itself to be a very capable daily commuter, with occasional weekend duties as a hauler. I drive 45+ miles daily, and feel quite comfortable with the amenities it has. I especially enjoy the small footprint yet torquey responsive engine. I can zip easily throughout traffic, yet blend in as necessary. The hauling capacity is quite surprising for such a small car on the exterior. People at my landfill have expressed their amazement at how much I can fit in the back. It's very durable and capable - I recommend it.

Torquey engine, amazing hauling capacity, chain-driven cams, nearly maintenance free engine (just change oil/coolant). I don't have to spend a lot of time on maintenance - that to me is a big selling point. Appearance is subjective - to me it's a very clean design.

It is an econobox so the interior is below what you'd expect in the average car. That said, the plastic could be made softer. Also, stiffen the suspension up a bit on the base model and include a rear swaybar.

not bad so far
By Craig

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am the 3rd owner of this Focus wagon and bought it for mpg and interior space. Best mileage was 34 hwy and worst was 22 city mpg. I average about 27 mpg. Only problem was a rear door latch failed which was recalled and inspected long before I bought it. Ford refused to reimburse me and it cost me $350 to have it replaced. There are a few interior rattles, especially in winter.

mpg, interior room, handling

use more rubber or foam to eliminate some rattles

Enjoyable Drive
By al

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall very pleased with my purchase. When looking to buy any model or year of focus be sure to check condition of bottom of doors interior and exterior especially behind rubber gasket that ford loves to use on all focuses. I didn't and was later surprised by the corrosion I found. Consellation is it's relatively minimal and can fix it myself. Ford will not warranty the corrosion even though it's clearly a design flaw. Common problem with the focus according to reviews all over the internet.

Smooth ride, gear box, responsiveness handling.

Corrosion issue behind rubber molding used on bottom of doors. This is clearly a design flaw.

Believe
By Believer

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this wagon used with 32000 miles. It has 52k now. Really a great car for the $$. Maintenance is a breeze, very accessable oil filter, I hand screw on and off. Get 32-34 mpg hwy and 24-26 city. Wagon is great for hauling stuff, I could sleep in if economy totaly folds ;-) It's like a mini minivan/suv that gets 30+ mpg on hwy. Around town easy to park. Don't understand the bad reviews from others but they had bad experiences....I had a 1991 escort before this.....got 200,000 miles on it, and it was still running great when I traded in on this Focus.....Ford is the leader in Europe and Brazil on Fuel effeciency and they sell tons in those countries. I'm a believer.

Fold down rear seat for tons of hauling room, AC blow ice all the time and in Florida you need it. 32/25 mpg great these days and easy of maintenance also great! Cup holders, top luggage rack, 6 CD changer and cruise control all fantastic!

Speakers kind of stink but they're factory.....may replace, other than that I can't believe they stopped making this wagon in 07' Need cheap transportation? Get one.