2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2005 Focus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Sort Reviews by

After 3 Years, Still Love It
By Mikey

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have seen people review this car as underpowered. What did they think they were buying? It is an economy car. Duh. This is a good looking car that is fun to drive, and has a well designed interior. The car is comfortable, the steering tight, the mileage decent, and it has been very reliable. We have not had a single problem in almost three years. The noise at highway speeds is a little more than I would like, but that is my only complaint. It is easy to park because of its small size, but the interior is roomy enough. The trunk is good sized. The Pirelli tires grip great. Fit and finish is excellent.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel mounted radio controls. Riding position/seat comfort. PZEV. Who would have thought that CA would not require the bi-annual smog testing. One less annoyance in my life!

Suggested Improvements

Build a hybrid! Improve sound insulation.

So Far So Good
By Deesan

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drive 110 miles round trip for work every day, so I needed something that got better gas mileage than my full size Dodge pickup. The price on this car was way too good to pass up so I bought it. Anyway I set the cruise (installed after market) between 75-80 mph and I get 30-32 mpg. I figure that is pretty good for the speed I drive. In the couple of months I have owned the car I have not had any problems (knock on wood). The seats are comfortable and it drives pretty smooth. My only complaints so far are the road noise and the headlights. The noise isnít too bad but could be quieter. The headlights are terrible, not bright at all.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Brighter headlights. Quiet the road noise

Great Car!
By indichick88

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

From buying this car 3 years ago, I've been very pleased. I've never had to take it in for servicing and it's never caused my any major problems. I love how roomy the interior is, and how the car is the perfect size, not too large, and not too small. I've also been able to go on one tank for 2 weeks! Perfect for students and people just looking for an affordable, reliable car. No complaints!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is wonderful! Very roomy and comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any.

Found a good one
By drivealot

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for more than a year. Purchased used. The front disc brake rotors need to be turned. They were like this soon after I purchased. Other than that it has only had normal needs; new tires, wiper blades and oil changes, it has been low maintenance and trouble-free. I get 40MPG highway and close to 30 in the city. I drive with fuel economy in mind. Mine has an auto transmission with a overdrive button on the shifter. I use overdrive for any driving over 35 MPH and it helps the in-town fuel consumption a lot.

Favorite Features

MP3 player, sunglasses compartment, easy access to controls, lots of cupholders and stash areas for a salesperson or anyone who has a need for these places.

Suggested Improvements

Allow the mp3 players to accept data DVD format so I can fit a huge amount of tunes in there. Although 120-plus songs on a CD is really good. Much needed rear-seat area lighting.. None at all present. Trunk is unlocked frequently due to my big thumb on autolock/keychain, warn me someway please.

2005 Focus
By Robo

2005 Ford Focus ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I leased this car for 3 years. It has been pretty reliable and is good balance between practical and fun. Manual transmission gives good mileage (30mpg mostly highway). Engine has decent power, except when the A/C is on. Road noise is loud. Ride is stiff, but comfortable. Reliability is average. I have had an ABS issue, and a tank/gas cap seal problem. Both covered under warranty. I will warn that I have had major annoyance with engine starting. Sometimes it doesn't start right away and this has happened since I bought the car. It has gotten worse and dealership claims it is a flaw with engine design (this is from Ford, not the dealership)

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage. Lots of cargo space. Love the hatchback with folding rear seats. I can't believe they got rid of the hatchback for 2008! Big mistake.

Suggested Improvements

Ford should be proactive fixing design flaws. It's unacceptable to leave problems unfixed claiming they are design flaws (this is a Ford problem not just the dealership).

What Happened To Ford's "Quality"?
By Jerry

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The engine and transmission began presenting problems shortly after I bought the car. The engine idles rough, runs rough and stalls when stopping. When the tranny changes, especially up/down from second to third gears, it sounds like pouring a bunch of screws into a metal bucket. Now is is slow going into gear from park. I cannot recommend buying any Ford Focus.

Suggested Improvements

FMC, put quality back in your product!

2005 Ford Focus ST
By Shelton

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Outside of a water leak and a bad customer service from the dealer at purchase time, spent first 40 of 60 days in their shop trying to fix the water leak, the car has been extremely dependable and excellent to drive on the highway. Very nimble around town, not too many turns this car can not navigate with ease. Not a headturner, but brings some sleepish performance to the table.

Favorite Features

Steering.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the NVH, needs to be in line with it's corporate cousin the Mazda 3.

2005 ZXW SES
By edmar

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SES 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent small all-around car. Long distance use at 30%, short distance at 70%,and good at both. Can easily be used for camping(van-ning) by 2 adults, preferably not over 6' tall. Especially good for long distance motel-ing use. Price is right & repairs can be handled by local shops very adequately. 25 mpg overall avg.

Favorite Features

All-around visibility is the best of any vehicle with very good height. Interior ergonomics are excellent amd keeping smaller size in mind, are equal to those of the Grand Caravans. Shifting gears with the automatic xmsn is almost like using a 5 speed, perhaps better. MPG & engine right in the park.

Suggested Improvements

1.Rear brake noise. 2.Bigger tires. 3.In/Out thermometer-compass-MPG overhead console. 4.Right rear sliding door. 5.Longer rear length. 6.DC'd in '07, Ford should have upgraded like Honda, Subaru, etc.

2005 ZX4 ST
By Felipe

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I originally bought this vehicle for my wife and I have now been driving it since we bought an SUV. I haven't had any problems whatsoever with this vehicle.

Favorite Features

2.3L Duratec, I would've preferred a little more HP and less TQ. Front and rear independent suspension.

Suggested Improvements

This car could definitely use a 6th speed. A standard front strut bar would also be nice.

Stick to Imports
By may

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this was my first new vehicle. in less than 2 weeks it was in service. then it was in service every other week for one issue or another. my personal vehicle was in service for a rattling noise in rear area; transmission probs; rear hatch not locking; dome light turning on whenever it felt like it... i wont go into my experience with the service department. in short, my car was back at the dealership longer than me driving. filed lemon lawsuit; ford could not buy back- so they issued a settlement check. although it is a spacious vehicle, do not buy- resale value blows; not to mention reliability. if you do buy, make sure you get gap insurance!! many service depts still cant fix hatch probs.

Favorite Features

radio controls on steering wheel; space/ roomy.

Suggested Improvements

make; build; transmission; get rid of the loud relay for the turnsignal; reliability. need i say more.