Used 2005 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Ford Focus 2005 Automatic transmission
By Veva

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Nothing but problems with the automatic transmission, I have put approx. $3000.00 in transmission, today the car will not go in drive over 10 mph. I can drive the car in 2nd gear not over 30 mph. I am today trying to find a garage to have my car towed to. This car is not paid off and I am constantly putting money into. And making a monthly payment, I have had this Ford for 4 years and it has made me a nervous wreck to drive. The throttle cable catches all the time, the worst part with the transmission is you are traveling at 50 mph and the transmission will go into low gear, or neutral when someone behind you is going 50 mph. Not safe on the interstate

Favorite Features

gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Ford should have had a recall on these cars for the automatic transmission and the sticking throttle cable

bad transmissions
By moses

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 focus ZX4 2 years ago. i read the car-fax report and it was good. Then i started to notice certain problems such as: Tire wear quickly, alignment off for no reason, and now transmission and transaxle problem. Mind you, the warranty was up the 5th of march this year the tranny and or transaxle went out the 7th of march this year. Now the car will not roll backwards in neutral if you try to push it. The back wheel seem to be lock when trying to push it backward in neutral. There were no warning of this problem what so ever.I think that FORD should take responsibility for their product. I have now seen over 120 complaints about the same thing in the same car.

Suggested Improvements

Stop making that car , and give people at lease half of what we paid for the car. THAT'S AN IMPROVEMENT.

Comfortable car, fun to drive
By WOODVILLENURSE

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car wrecked with no warranty with only 20,000 miles. Went to Alaska and back putting over 10,000 miles on it I was having trouble with it dying when I slowed down and sped up the time a bit, then the check engine light came on saying it was revved up too high. Slowed it back down, changed the brain, and every other part that has to do with smooth running, nothing helped. Now, it is skipping when I'm cruising about 50mph, I was told it might be the ignition coil, but changed them out and that wasn't the case. If anybody has any idea what the problem is, please let me know. I have thoroughly enjoyed this car and if I had it to do over again, I would buy it. It is fun to drive!

Favorite Features

Stereo controls on the steering wheel, I couldn't get my key out a couple of times and realized the little plastic thing on the shift leaver had slipped down and when I put the car back in Park and turned the key back on, I could pull the little plastic part back up next to the shift handle, fixing

Suggested Improvements

I have no improvements, other than to improve the gas mileage to 50mph, I love this car

Love my Focus!
By llb2010

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 a few months ago, and I must admit, I LOVE it! It runs great, gets awesome gas mileage (almost 35 to the gallon highway, about 28 city), and is very cute! I'm seventeen and wanted to buy a car (yes- I paid for it myself!) that would last throughout college and I think I've found the one! It has plenty of legroom for me (6 feet tall). It gets great pickup and I find it very easy to drive- even in the snow and ice. I haven't had any problems with the car (knock on wood) and would recommend it to anyone. My parents may be Toyota and Honda owners, but I'm a Ford girl for life!

Favorite Features

Awesome gas mileage, lots of pep on the highway, roomy front seat, great stereo too! VERY maneuverable drive!

Suggested Improvements

Almost no room in backseat. Also, my car has no armrest in the middle and the cupholders are in the most inconvenient place. I bought an old rental car, perhaps that is why theyre so odd, but other than that, this car is awesome!

My Best car
By laurie

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My first new car I bought was the Focus, I owned a 2003 before going right back to updrade to the 2005.This car is very easy to handle, It was excellent in the snow,just do oil changes and maintain the car and it will last forever.Drove mine till 145,000 then traded it for another one with less miles.plenty of room for long trips,love the cup holders. all the pockets for stuff. This car handles snow like a charm. I honestlyAdont have anything to say bad about this type of car, its a great price and hold up very well. like i said change oil and tires and its a charm.I WAS NEVER LEFT STRANDED OR WITH OUT A CAR WHEN I DROVE A FOCUS,I KNOW IT STARTS NOW MATTER HOW COLD IT IS, LOVE THEM

Favorite Features

cup holders, controls on the stearing wheel to change the radio.roomy trunk.great leg room up front and also in the back.Cd player is great for a factory player.Sweet looking car for the money, has excellent take off in traffic.

Suggested Improvements

better fabric on the seats, need to scotch guard them right away, they leave marks with just water.the door handles arent the best quality, they sometimes in winter feel like they will snap, but never have, i also hear the road noise in the back tires, other then that i would not change one thing...